Motherwell V Celtic Sat 9 Apr 12:30

Yabba's Turd

Going by the Sky Sports pictures Skippy’s disallowed goal looked a fraction offside (it was very, very tight). Ripley was having a great game and then he let one through his legs (who’d be a goalkeeper?). Luckily the score didn’t matter and we are officially top six. :)

I thought Gomis was pretty awful today: ponderous and missing tackles, and then passing like a plank. This allowed Celtic to pass their way through our midfield, although I thought Lasley tried hard to compensate and young Cadden stuck in well (made our goal). I'm not so sure McGhee planned a defensive first half. I suspect he thought we would be tighter as a unit, but we stood off them too much and our Trident didn't really link up.

Once we equalised (for the second time ) I actually thought we could go on to win it. All those Sky stats BBC Scotlandshire eagerly mentioned after the game don't mean a thing if you don't stick in the pokie. Ridley played well and I was gutted when that ball squirmed under him.

Delighted results went our way today. What an (almost) finish. Can we finish third? Screens, nurse!

COYW

Didn't have any complaints about Collum to be honest. Thought he actually showed a refreshing willingness to let the game breathe and keep his cards in his pocket.

As for us, not really sure whether we showed too much respect or whether they pushed us back but we really struggled to get on the front foot and when a team has as many chances as Celtic did it is a sad inevitability they will eventually score. Too many times we just gave them the ball back.

But we did score a nice goal, great strength from Cadden to create the space and the other one was bloody close.

Gutting that a cock up by someone who had a brilliant game otherwise cost us the points, he didn't deserve that but it was brilliant to see a couple of the players go over to him and tell him to get his chin up. Earlier in the season, the daggers would have been drawn but you can now see a togetherness in the team.

Thomas almost created another wee chance at the end and it would have saved us a few pints worrying about the other games but that went as well as we could have dreamed and we get to fight it out with the big boys for a European slot (assuming Rangers don't win next week - not impossible).

From here no matter what happens though, it has been an excellent step forward of a season from the last and the players and McGhee, and even to a degree Baraclough deserve great credit for that.

• Like 1

The desired outcome of the day has been achieved but that was really poor stuff at times save for a wee spell when we equalised.

First half in particular was shocking from us. Whether that was down to Celtic being good or deliberate instruction from McGhee to sit back and almost invite pressure! Only a number of good to great stops from Ripley kept the score respectable.

2nd half was much better but a really bad mistake from Ripley should've been easily stopped. For me we never looked like we were ever getting anything from the game and I thought Gomis in particular was awful. I'd be happier to see Leitch take his place till Pearo is back.

Still, sitting here fairly content with how the day panned out!

I don't think Gomis should play again unless Lasley is unavailable. He will probably go back to Hearts at the end of the season. As Milo says Leitch or any other young player Campbell?? should be given their chance between now and the end of the season to see what they can do.

Not a great performance today especially in the first half when we defended far too deep and showed lack of belief. Celtic could easily have been 4 goals ahead by the break if it wasn't for their amateurish finishing and a great display of goalkeeping by Ripley, who was badly let down by his colleagues. There was no-one in central midfield capable of taking the the game to Celtic just as a few of us thought beforehand. We were second to every ball and just didn't compete.

There was an improved performance in the second half but again defensive frailties cost us. Sad to see Ripley lose a silly goal but overall he played very well. Very few pass marks today Ripley being one of them. I'd exempt Moult, MacDonald and Johnson from any criticism as they received very poor ammunition but worked hard. Cadden also tried his best and deserved pass marks. Gomis had a real off day and Lasley wasn't an awful lot better. Both looked yards off the pace. In short our central midfield was non-existent. This left the central defence and Ripley badly exposed. Both Hammell and Law had a poor day defensively being caught out of position time and again, although Law did look better going forward. McManus and Kennedy struggled too but in fairness received little protection.

I thought Collum had a poor game with a string of questionable decisions. Both Kazim-Richards and Scott Brown were very fortunate not to receive red cards for lifting their hands and a deliberate off the ball elbow.

Still alls well that ends well and we'll finish in the top six which looked very unlikely a few months ago.

Maybe today wasn't a good day to judge the players - they have taken us to a top six place after all.

Didn't have any complaints about Collum to be honest. Thought he actually showed a refreshing willingness to let the game breathe and keep his cards in his pocket.

As for us, not really sure whether we showed too much respect or whether they pushed us back but we really struggled to get on the front foot and when a team has as many chances as Celtic did it is a sad inevitability they will eventually score. Too many times we just gave them the ball back.

But we did score a nice goal, great strength from Cadden to create the space and the other one was bloody close.

Gutting that a cock up by someone who had a brilliant game otherwise cost us the points, he didn't deserve that but it was brilliant to see a couple of the players go over to him and tell him to get his chin up. Earlier in the season, the daggers would have been drawn but you can now see a togetherness in the team.

Thomas almost created another wee chance at the end and it would have saved us a few pints worrying about the other games but that went as well as we could have dreamed and we get to fight it out with the big boys for a European slot (assuming Rangers don't win next week - not impossible).

From here no matter what happens though, it has been an excellent step forward of a season from the last and the players and McGhee, and even to a degree Baraclough deserve great credit for that.

Sevco will win nothing and are going straight back down. They are infinitely breakable at the back and everyone will beat them.

Sevco will win nothing and are going straight back down. They are infinitely breakable at the back and everyone will beat them.

They will spend money though and you can bet a couple of new centre halves are on the shopping list. As much as I would love to see them struggle I can't see them not being Top 6. I think the Hearts team that came up was stronger than this Rangers team and Hearts strengthened quite a bit so I think Rangers will be around 4th or 5th in the league.

Not too upset about todays game, felt we could have got at least a draw on an improved 2nd half performance though happy overall as we could have been 7th tonight and still 4th which is great considering we were 11th not so long ago, Never normally care who wins a Celtic v Rangers game tho hope Sevco lose next week as we still have a chance of a europa spot.

When I looked at the replays I think the linesman got it right. and if he didn't it was tight enough that I don't think you could fault him for calling it.

If it's tight is the guidance not that the benefit is given to the attacking player?

Listening to McGhee he seems to have the same opinion as the rest of us - that we stood too far off first half and let them play, but better in 2nd half when we pressed more.

Still enjoying my beer and curry tonight while I watch the boxing, so not too disappointed.