My First Well Game

wideboyal

BBC footage of my first ever well game at Fir Park.

Loved watching this, and shows how I got hooked to being a well fan.

I was one of the 5000 schoolkids, and Cammy Murray, the Lanark Grammar PE teacher was in the dugout as a coach.

Great game, and amazing to see Cooper being a legend again.

• Like 3

Great post and great to see Old FP again. The football seems very direct and quick. Coops was great, of course, but Wee Dougie could finish.

My first memory, though I know I was at FP before, was a Joe McBride penalty aginst Aberdeen. He had scored two goals already so we all ran down behind the dyke to see him get his hat-trick. Unfortunately, he thumped it straight at Tubby Ogston and the score remained 2-2.

Happy and very distant days.

To be fair, we didn't then either, except when we let in thousands of school kids for free.

According to the programme I've got here for that season the attendance for that United game was 8184.

Home gates up to the Hibs game on 16th December were:

19/08/89 Aberdeen - 6491

26/08/89 St Mirren - 4703

16/09/89 Hearts - 8948

30/09/89 Dundee - 4463

03/10/89 Rangers - 17,667

21/10/89 Dundee United - 8184

08/11/89 Dunfermline- 9138

25/11/89 Celtic - 16,029

My first game was sometime in the mid 90's against Killie at Fir Park and I was actually in the away end. I don't remember much about it but Killie scored a penalty and the ref made them retake it and that one was saved. Finished 2-0 to Motherwell

No idea, would have been running around the terrace not paying much attention.

One of the first games I have a memory of was us beating Dundee Utd which was a big deal in those days. Also remember bottles and bricks flying during an 'ambush' at the underpass!

Relatives took me to some games in the early 80's but I really caught the football bug from going to a U21 WC qualifier against Iceland at Fir Park. Our school took us to the match. After that I wanted to go to live games and I was just about to go to High School so my mum let me go to the football unsupervised by an adult.

Not missed many home games since 1986.

According to the programme I've got here for that season the attendance for that United game was 8184.

Home gates up to the Hibs game on 16th December were:

19/08/89 Aberdeen - 6491

26/08/89 St Mirren - 4703

16/09/89 Hearts - 8948

30/09/89 Dundee - 4463

03/10/89 Rangers - 17,667

21/10/89 Dundee United - 8184

08/11/89 Dunfermline- 9138

25/11/89 Celtic - 16,029

Tell you what. No way was there only 9138 against dunfermline that night. The ground was packed to the rafters. The pars had at least 2500-3thousand down with them. Even the main stand was full. I think the capacity was just over 20thousand at that time and no way was it less half full.

The first game I remember being at was a 4-0 home win against Hibs. I did a bit of digging around this afternoon and found out it was played on 10th October 1970. I don't remember anything else about it, other than I was 7 and sat in the main stand with my Dad. Back then I only got taken to 2 or 3 games a year, and I never saw them lose until about 1978! Thought it was about to happen when we were 2-0 down at halftime to Kilmarnock in 1976/77 season, but that was the one we came back to win 5-4, one of the all time classics.

Regarding attendances, I worked with an old Communist who told me that, even when MFC won the league, crowds were quite low at FP, which really got on his nazzums. Happy for any statisticians to offer enlightenment.

My absolute first game, was Third Lanark versus Dundee, about 1962. Don't ask why it wasn't the Mighty 'Well, 'cos I don't know. Football was all B@W then so imagine my surprise when entering the Cathkin stand to see the bright green pitch and the scarlet of TL and deep blue of Dundee. The latter had a bugler who gave a blast and then shouted, "Away the 'Dee". He would probably have been arrested today.

I'm sure Gordon Smith was playing for DFC, but think Thirds won 2-1.

It was a tragedy they folded because of that crook Hiddleston. I knew a good few TLFC fans who migrated to The 'Well in the aftermath, but I'm sure nothing could replace the Hi-Hi.

I don't remember that much about it but it turns out my first game was a 2-1 defeat against St Mirren in December '86. Until I did a bit of digging about and looked out my old programmes my only real memory of it was that we were playing against a team in black and white, it was baltic and we lost to a late goal.

From looking it up online we scored first with Frank McGarvey equalising for them in the 46th minute with Ian Ferguson scoring in the 84th minute.

wee_alpha: I remember that game. Hibs had a fearsome line-up that day ( Stanton, O'Rourke, Duncan, et al. from vague memory) but I think we went 4-0 up quite early and it was a procession.

I always quite admired the Hibees, and Hearts too until the Levein/Hogg/Colqhoun/Robertson years, when the cluggers and divers took over.

At the Hearts centenary fixture at Tynie (1974?) we were surrounded by their fans at the away end, but they only had nice things to say about The 'Well, and about our attempts to play football over the years. Then they ran up their flag. A 2-2 draw as I remember. Jim McIlwraith, anybody?

Feb 1973 at home to Aberdeen, with a 2-0 win to the 'Well.

Unfortunately, having never seen a live football match before and being 10 years old, and only knowing about football from football cards, I was an Aberdeen 'fan'....much to my father's disgust. He soon got me sorted tough.

I was at that game, Coop was amazing and added about 2500 to our gates, at that game there were over 8,000!!!. My first game was April 1977 as a 5 year old when we beat Ajax 4-2 in a friendly. A Hamilton lad Born and bred but my Dad was a Motherwell man and made sure I would follow the Well, been a rollercoaster but wouldn't swap it for anything. COYW!!!

I was at that game, Coop was amazing and added about 2500 to our gates, at that game there were over 8,000!!!. My first game was April 1977 as a 5 year old when we beat Ajax 4-2 in a friendly. A Hamilton lad Born and bred but my Dad was a Motherwell man and made sure I would follow the Well, been a rollercoaster but wouldn't swap it for anything. COYW!!!

I've still got the match programme from that game, probably ruined its value somewhat by scrawling the final score on the front of it!

Not so much mine or my eldest son's first game, but as we had been going to Fir Park for a number of years, at aged four we decided we'd take his little brother to his first game. It was Motherwell v's Dundee United on 29 December 2007! Happily, he caught the bug...

Edited by Big Tosh