My First Well Game

wideboyal

My 1st game would have been between 75 and 77, as the quartet of Wark, Pettigrew,Graham and Marinello were the talk of the car leaving the street to go to the game. I'd guess at 75 because we had the sash strip but it could be a false memory.

If I remember right, Marinello signed at the start of the 75/76 season, which was my first year with a season ticket. We were a fuckin' good side that year.

First game I went to was around my birthday in 1971. Don't remember too much about it except it was against Dundee Utd. Was more interested in the Chipmunk Crisps and Kia-Ora. Looking at the internet seems we lost 2 - 1.

I can't honestly remember the year but I'm pretty sure my first game was a preseason friendly against QPR. I think it was either 1985/86 or 1986/87 season?

My second, first competitive and totally bug catching game was a cup tie against forfar the blue Brazil in 86/87 with my first trip to hampden shortly after to watch us fight back from two down to only lose on penalties to Celtic in the semifinal of the same cup.

I was well proud of being a member of the 'claret and amber club'.

I can't honestly remember the year but I'm pretty sure my first game was a preseason friendly against QPR. I think it was either 1985/86 or 1986/87 season?

My second, first competitive and totally bug catching game was a cup tie against forfar the blue Brazil in 86/87 with my first trip to hampden shortly after to watch us fight back from two down to only lose on penalties to Celtic in the semifinal of the same cup.

The Loons.

My first game was a nil nil draw with Aberdeen in the early seventies. I am pretty sure it was a league cup match in the days when they had group stages. I must look it up when I finally get my books unpacked.

Was brought up in Edinburgh but my Dad was a Motherwell man and he brought me up properly. My brother was weak and foolish and became a Hibs fan at seven. I suppose every family has one.

My Dad used to take me" when a was young " , my earliest recollection is v Hibees .All I remember is a guy walking round the track with a dart stuck in his head .

Sure I was at that game with my brother - seem to remember a picture or story about it in either the daily record or express the following week

First game I remember was Stoke City in the Texaco cup, don't remember the score, Gordon Banks was in goal, we played them two years in a row in '70 and '71 and I don't know which it was. Might not have been the first game I attended, but the first one I remember.

My first game was a League Cup game v Clyde in 1967, for years I thought it finished 0-0 but according to 'Well again" it was a 2-2 cracker.

I also suspect I was only there because my Mum told my brother he wasn't allowed to go unless he took me with him.

Mine was 1984/85.

Not sure which exact game was the first I went to. I'll say Clydebank for the sake of it.

Earliest memories are a very vague recollection of us winning league/lifting league trophy, sat in the main stand.

I also remember keeping on asking my dad "was that a goal?".

For some reason, I thought a goal was awarded if the keeper saved it.

Unfortunately I have no recollection of my first game, my dad took me regularly from when I was around 2yrs old. I have a vague memory of watching Pettigrew’s last game. I’m sure it was an away game v Stirling or something?……older fans might help me remember.

My first proper kids season ticket was 81/82. What a year to remember, I was at every game that season home and away, after that I was hooked.

First game I remember was Stoke City in the Texaco cup, don't remember the score, Gordon Banks was in goal, we played them two years in a row in '70 and '71 and I don't know which it was. Might not have been the first game I attended, but the first one I remember.

Her’s a few pictures from one of our games V Stoke. I was 8/9 years of age at the time and those games at a great atmosphere.

2duxawp.jpg

2zefoz9.jpg

4h5gsn.jpg

1smyaq.jpg

I'm surprised Rickoza, with his QPR leanings, hasn't been along yet to correct on you on the date! It was 1983 as it happens with Graeme Forbes getting our goal. I know this only because it gets briefly referenced in this week's programme, under 'Q' in the A-Z feature.

I certainly do recollect the Claret and Amber club with great fondness though. The brainchild I believe of Bobby Jenks, I remember the excitement of seeing this large advert in the Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser "inviting the youth of Lanarkshire to join Motherwell FC's Claret and Amber Club". To see this big, bold advert in the middle of the Airdrie match reports and photos was just brilliant for someone who went to school in Airdrie. Recruiting fans in their turf. Magic!

My sister and I must have been one of the first to join and remember getting our goodie bags from Bobby in the wee portacabin outside the Main Stand that served as our club shop in those days. Happy days!

Game in mid 80's against Hearts was the start of my love affair with Motherwell and my hatred of Hearts.

Don't remember too much about it but we got beat and it was bloody cold. that was back in the days when you could get lifted over to get in.

few years later i joined the claret and amber club, it was great getting the tickets for the old firm games for £1.50!!

Game in mid 80's against Hearts was the start of my love affair with Motherwell and my hatred of Hearts.

Don't remember too much about it but we got beat and it was bloody cold. that was back in the days when you could get lifted over to get in.

few years later i joined the claret and amber club, it was great getting the tickets for the old firm games for £1.50!!

Don't know if it's same game but remember when Hearts came to Fir Park middle of winter season they almost won the league 85/86. John Reilly (for it was him) fired us into the lead, yes he really did.

Then Ian MacLeod left back slipped on the dodgy surface and they equalised and they went on to win 3-1 as I mind.

It annoys me that I can't remember my 1st game better but I think it was a 2-0 defeat to Aberdeen in January 89 aged 5. Can't recall anything about the Motherwell team but I think Jess and Bett were playing for them.

I didn't enjoy it at all and I think my next game wasn't until 91. After missing the Falkirk game with glandular fever I finally returned to FP for the boring 0-0 with Morton. I wasn't too interested at all to the extent my dad watched the Celtic replay in the Horse & Anchor in Camby. That remains the one and only time I've seen my auld man steaming and it finally clicked with me that this meant something significant.

The 3-0 pumping of Rangers and build-up to the cup final within the town transformed everything. And from the pride and euphoria generated on the day I couldn't wait for the new season. The atmosphere of the Katowice game and my first 'away-day', to Somerset Park for the cup particular highlights.

1st game was a long time ago, Texaco cup v Spurs November 1970 i think, went with my grandpa all i remember about the game is that we won and how good the pie and Bovril was after that i was hooked. Could have all turned out different as my dad was a Rangers fan and had been going to take me for ages so grandpa got in first and steered me away from the dark side.