My First Well Game

wideboyal

I'm surprised Rickoza, with his QPR leanings, hasn't been along yet to correct on you on the date! It was 1983 as it happens with Graeme Forbes getting our goal. I know this only because it gets briefly referenced in this week's programme, under 'Q' in the A-Z feature.

I certainly do recollect the Claret and Amber club with great fondness though. The brainchild I believe of Bobby Jenks, I remember the excitement of seeing this large advert in the Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser "inviting the youth of Lanarkshire to join Motherwell FC's Claret and Amber Club". To see this big, bold advert in the middle of the Airdrie match reports and photos was just brilliant for someone who went to school in Airdrie. Recruiting fans in their turf. Magic!

My sister and I must have been one of the first to join and remember getting our goodie bags from Bobby in the wee portacabin outside the Main Stand that served as our club shop in those days. Happy days!

That makes a lot of sense actually as my first kit was the Patrick vertical bar of that era, which I really stupidly wrote IAN SKELLY across the middle of after having had it a few years and parents who couldn't afford the umbro one of the time.

Further to Claret and Amber club, does anyone else remember the Motherwell travel club?

My dad and I went to almost every away game through that club during the late 80s. Happy memories

• Like 1

That makes a lot of sense actually as my first kit was the Patrick vertical bar of that era, which I really stupidly wrote IAN SKELLY across the middle of after having had it a few years and parents who couldn't afford the umbro one of the time.

Further to Claret and Amber club, does anyone else remember the Motherwell travel club?

My dad and I went to almost every away game through that club during the late 80s. Happy memories

My first game was against St Johnstone either 1974 or 75. I think we won but not too sure of the score.

Myself and brother also used the Motherwell travel Club in the late 80's, it was subsidised by the club and sponsors.

Don't know if it's same game but remember when Hearts came to Fir Park middle of winter season they almost won the league 85/86. John Reilly (for it was him) fired us into the lead, yes he really did.

Then Ian MacLeod left back slipped on the dodgy surface and they equalised and they went on to win 3-1 as I mind.

Close it was a midweek game later that year. 19th November 1986 3-2 win for Hearts at fir park.

Walker 53, Farningham 78 / MacDonald 51, 55, Berry 70 - From Wikipedia.

1st August 1970, a friendly v Aston Villa. With my late brother and his mate. Two nil to the 'Well, whatever became of Villa?

That was my first game too. Mind you I was very very young at the time. Got the programme of ebay a couple of years ago