Motherwell V Hearts Sat 23 Apr 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Other way around if its the one I'm thinking of.

Although someone should have shouted to Skippy he had a man on.

Must be a different one because it was Johnson tried to take on three men and lost it in the semi circle instead of playing a simple pass. I'm going deaf but I think my eyesight is still not bad!

I thought Samson did very well today and was a big part of us getting a clean sheet. He was very calm, looked like an experienced player out there, kept the back four organised and with the exception of one cross did everything he had to do, including a pretty smart save and some tricky balls to feet.

I think Ripley has been our best keeper since Randolph but Samson today looked like a guy that's been around the game and showed a calm authority that maybe Ripley has yet to learn.

As for Lionel Ainsworth - he's just not been right this season. He looks 'down' somehow. Maybe it's a football matter but players also have all the same problems we do, so maybe it is a personal issue. On the other hand he might just be out of form. Whatever it is I was glad to see him score today and I hope he can get a few more before the end of the season.

Just watched the game on Alba - seemed pretty comfortable in the end.

Been impressed with Alba's coverage this season. I like the format of the 1hr programme and it's good to see the "lesser" teams on there each week. Hope they pick up as many games next season as it's 10 times better than Sportscene.

He explains it in his post-match. Says he wanted to get a better view of how the team were dealing with the shape with a few players playing in relatively unfamiliar positions.

Points out that he's often taken to sitting in the stand on Scotland duty to do the same thing and report back to Strachan.

Makes a lot of sense that, I often wondered why more managers didn't do it.

Remember when Ian St John was manager, he had what is now the away dugout, raised to allow him to see the game from a different perspective.

• Like 1

Why would happy clappers be unhappy with your comments Ainsworth dosnt do enough over a season and sure everybody will agree and thought Leitch was terrible certainly not worth a contract on that performance

I thought Leitch did ok, he gave the ball away cheaply a couple of times but fought hard to win it back, considering there was little experience on the park I thought we won the midfield battle easily

A well deserved victory and as others have said it should have been much more comfortable than it was. We missed a few gilt edged chances, which had they gone in would have given us a 3/4 goal lead. In fairness i think hearts had already packed their holiday cases but they still gave us a tough test with their physical combative style of play. A strong midfield but toothless sup front. McManus was my MOTM although both Cadden and MacDonald had reasonable games. Samson, although not full tested, proved very capable and staked a claim for a longer deal. We were a bit unlucky having to make 2 changes due to injuries and that disrupted the rhythm of the team.

I thought Law struggled a bit at right back even before his injury but formation wise our whole right side struggled defensively. As MMcG said he tried a few experiments with some working and some not. Midfield looked a bit disorganised at times with MacDonald looking a bit uncomfortable when defending although he did play well. Despite playing with 2 wingers on paper, we were often caught too narrow and consequently both full backs struggled a bit. I must say I prefer to see Skippy playing further forward. I didn't feel comfortable watching us sitting back and soaking up pressure in the latter stages.

Jack Leitch didn't do much to further his claim for a longer deal. A few nice touches early on but he was largely anonymous and struggled against bigger and heavier opponents.

I thought the ref was dire. Very erratic with his bookings. Puzzled as to why he blew for a very late challenge on Stevie Hammell but then took no further action.

Overall a good day but not all experiments worked. Still the result proved that Mark McGhee got much more right than wrong. He really has turned this squad around.

In spells, that's as comfortable as we've looked in a long time in terms of passing and movement. It was a joy to watch, however we just lacked that killer final ball. Also, it was great to see the team looking clearly fired up for what is effectively a fight for 3 league placings.

I thought every player was excellent. Cadden really impressed - for such a young guy he really bullied their midfield at times and he's turning into a real physical presence. Samson did well in his first competitive game since season 82/83. McDonald, Moult and Johnson continue to develop into a frightening front three and individually they all played their part however at times weren't quite on the same wavelength.

Onto Ainsworth, who as Ya Bezzer says just hasn't looked right this season. Despite that, he yet again proved to be effective by scoring the winning goal. Stripping it back to basics, in terms of influence / minutes on the pitch I reckon Ainsworth could still be one of our most effective players. Would be interesting to see the stats on assists / goals and game time on him.

McDonald, Moult and Johnson continue to develop into a frightening front three and individually they all played their part however at times weren't quite on the same wavelength.

Very true, but I put this down to positional changes, especially in relation to MacDonald, who was asked to play deeper.

Surely it's drop ball if the ball boy kicks or picks up the ball before it went out of play? As that's what happened

I didn't see it properly either from my seat in East stand and wondered what was going. I thought we only had ball boys behind the goals, so didn't realise that could have happened.

The ball rolled along the touchline, hit the corner flag and stopped dead...the ball boy walked over and picked it up. Ref made the right call with the drop ball.

On the game...we were miles ahead of Hearts and really should have fucked them about 5-0, very wasteful in front of goal but the front 4 terrorised their defence all day. If we had played like that earlier in the season we'd have finished second.

For me, Skippy was a country mile ahead of every single player on the park. A great display from him.

Anyone know why there were no extended highlights on the YouTube channel for this game?

Club(s) have been told they're not allowed to post match highlights on non-paywalled channels any more. (I was always surprised they were allowed to anyway, tbh...)

Wouldn't be surprised to see it return as a Well Society member perk next season... which probably wouldn't be a bad way of attracting a few new members, either.

Aye. Given that it was £5 a month originally (I think?) opening that up to society members sounds like a good wee perk...

I had to make do with watching the playoff final highlights hungover on Sunday morning.

I'd like to think that if such a perk was to be used to recruit Well Society members that they'd simply upload the entire game. I'm assuming they film it in its entirety and cut it to suit for highlights?

If so, just pap the whole thing up a few days later or whatever.