2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

As much as I'd like Hall to sign up for the long term and become a player that can go to a higher level as a competitive starter for a decent sell on fee, I shan't be sobbing if he doesn't.

In the interviews I've seen him do, he seems to be a wee bit ahead of himself. I mean, he's already been quoted and filmed more than once, talking of his chances of playing for the NI national team and sneaking into the Euros squad.

I suspect somebody somewhere has been filling the boys heid full of shite.

I certainly don't blame the lad for keeping his options open and I sincerely hope he isn't being offered less than the likes of Laing or Kennedy. If he continues in his present manner, I'm sure he'll become a decent player and gain international caps but this will be one of the biggest choices of his career.

I've seen too many young lads tearing up a long term career for the prize of status from being at a big club or for more short term money.

As far as current ability goes hall is our 4th best centre half with potential to be better. It would be good for the club to tie him down to a longer contract but we can't force him to sign something he may not want to sign. If he doesn't then good luck to him - we will manage regardless

I'd play Hall before Laing.

I like the look of Hall but if he moves on, he moves on, although maybe someone should tell him the story of Paul Slane.

As far as current ability goes hall is our 4th best centre half with potential to be better.

Is he?

Since he broke into the team he was a mainstay until he got injured. I'd also have him in there before Laing & Kennedy.

In the interviews I've seen him do, he seems to be a wee bit ahead of himself. I mean, he's already been quoted and filmed more than once, talking of his chances of playing for the NI national team and sneaking into the Euros squad.

This surprises me as I assumed he had a good head on his shoulders in order for McGhee to propel him ahead of Laing, Kennedy and to a lesser extent, Watt.

Infact one of the few pieces I've read on him was how he struggled with a bout of homesickness and was grateful to Motherwell staff for helping him knuckle down.

We'll see what happens. We've handed out deals too early to young ones in the past.

All it tells me is that he hasn't signed it.

Agreed.

I like Hall and hope that he stays on but in truth unless he's totally certain and comfortable with signing another deal, as appeared to be the case with Cadden from his interviews after extending, then I don't blame either Hall or his advisor for holding off and waiting until the end of the season and seeing what his options are. I'd imagine we're keen to get him signed up however assuming that our offer is still on the table then just because he hasn't signed yet doesn't necessarily mean he's knocked us back nor does it mean that he won't sign. At the moment he's still under contract and presumably doesn't need to make a decision one way or another until the end of the season when it expires.

You'd like to think he's sensible enough to see the benefit of what's being offered to him at Motherwell, particularly with McGhee having given him the opportunity to play and Craigan and Robinson's involvement with his international set-up. Also, without wanting to talk down his ability, while he's clearly had an impact on our back 4 this season his breakthrough hasn't exactly been a high profile one in the same way that say Tierney has at Celtic or Souttar was at United before his move to Hearts both of whom are a comparable age to him.

You'd like to think he's sensible enough to see the benefit of what's being offered to him at Motherwell, particularly with McGhee having given him the opportunity to play and Craigan and Robinson's involvement with his international set-up. Also, without wanting to talk down his ability, while he's clearly had an impact on our back 4 this season his breakthrough hasn't exactly been a high profile one in the same way that say Tierney has at Celtic or Souttar was at United before his move to Hearts both of whom are a comparable age to him.

Part of me wonders if that's perhaps down to the respective clubs both of those players play/played for. I'd wager for example that if Kieran Tierney broke through at Fir Park rather than Celtic he'd be at least eighteen months and another 50 first team games plus away from the Scotland debut Tierney was handed recently.

But that's by the by though, as regards Hall all I'd say is keep the pitchforks pointed downwards until we actually know what his decision is. With the discussion continuing as it has I sense all it has achieved is that one or two are becoming increasingly agitated that he hasn't re-signed. Sure we would want any potential talent to commit at the earliest opportunity but let's just keep in mind that probably few of us know what's on the table and what offers he and his agent are deliberating over. Let's just take advantage of him when he's here and see what transpires.

• Like 1

Part of me wonders if that's perhaps down to the respective clubs both of those players play/played for. I'd wager for example that if Kieran Tierney broke through at Fir Park rather than Celtic he'd be at least eighteen months and another 50 first team games plus away from the Scotland debut Tierney was handed recently.

Absolutely. In a way that's kind of my point. He's not really had the same sort of hype or exposure that those players have or even someone like Erwin had, regardless of whether the hype is artificial as a result of the profile of the club he's playing for or not. In turn you'd think that would have something of an impact on demand or at the very least would affect the leverage for an agent to up wages from other clubs.

Having said that I'm sure clubs are aware of him and a few will even be monitoring his situation. As I said he's presumably got until the end of the season (or even a couple of weeks after) to weigh up his options and make a decision either way.

I am referring to the classic 2008 BBC weather forecast referring to Ibrox as Castle Greyskull.

Not sure what direction you're coming from?

Paranoid? Rangers fans? Never...... http://forum.followfollow.com/archive/index.php/t-1059068.html

The team hasn't been the same since Jennings left. We've tried in various forms to replace him over the years but never quite managed it. Lasley isn't capable of running the midfield, and we've brought in various "experienced" (old) players over the past few years to keep it strong in the middle. Also not replacing Hutchison properly has contributed to the last few years of decline since the dizzy heights of 2nd place.

We'll keep McDonald for at least another year, so we need to focus on a strong, commanding midfield and a solid centreback pairing.

McManus needs to get shifted on to the fringes, and Lasley needs to start steadily reducing his gametime, and increasing his coaching role.

No one who is currently in Scottish football springs to mind for either of those - any thoughts?

The team hasn't been the same since Jennings left. We've tried in various forms to replace him over the years but never quite managed it. Lasley isn't capable of running the midfield, and we've brought in various "experienced" (old) players over the past few years to keep it strong in the middle. Also not replacing Hutchison properly has contributed to the last few years of decline since the dizzy heights of 2nd place.

We'll keep McDonald for at least another year, so we need to focus on a strong, commanding midfield and a solid centreback pairing.

McManus needs to get shifted on to the fringes, and Lasley needs to start steadily reducing his gametime, and increasing his coaching role.

No one who is currently in Scottish football springs to mind for either of those - any thoughts?

John Rankin?

• Like 1

While I might not disagree with your general point about replacing Jennings (disagree about Hutchison as we have three young centre backs with potential) and I agree that we need to think about how we'll replace the older players, years of decline??? As it stands, we could finish fourth. I make the last four seasons 2nd, 2nd, 11th and 4th. One bad season does not mean years of decline...
  • Like 1

While I might not disagree with your general point about replacing Jennings (disagree about Hutchison as we have three young centre backs with potential) and I agree that we need to think about how we'll replace the older players, years of decline??? As it stands, we could finish fourth. I make the last four seasons 2nd, 2nd, 11th and 4th. One bad season does not mean years of decline...

Fair point. I suppose my perception is that we're in 4th by some absolute miracle.

Wouldnt go near Andy Geggan, Dunfermline fans think he is absolute pish and were laughing at Partick Thistle being linked to him recently, so on that basis i'd stay clear of him.

What Dunfermline fans are these? Never heard anything but praise, not only from Dunfermline fans but from fans of his previous clubs. I've even heard some say he's been there best player since Stevie Crawford.

Can play at right back as well. Two for one.