2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Textbook management from McGhee. He knows they're not leaving (Hammell, Lasley & McManus especially. Samson & McFadden nobody is bothered about).

Make the players feel important, but ensure he has as much of his budget left as possible.

I'd agree. McGhee is steering things in a similar way to McCall did. He'll be hoping to get a performance out the players tonight and add another £100k to budget.

From what I can gather it was also McGhee that shared the El Bakhtaoui story with the BBC at the weekend. Again, possibly trying to ensure every penny is available to him while putting a wee bit of public pressure on Scott McDonald.

More generally, I'd be surprised if we aren't currently talking to English clubs about the sale of 1 or 2 players, namely Johnson and Moult.

i am sure i read somewhere, might be the BBC piece, McGhee saying its a starting point.

We have made them an offer, they will ask for what they want and we will meet somewhere in the middle. I am pretty sure Hammell and Lasley are going to be here, McManus more than likely.

I love McFadden but i think he has had his day. time to hang up the boots and start coaching.

Samson i couldn't care less about. I would prefer to have our own keeper rather than a loan but in McGhee we trust.

The guy above who said punt them all, really needs his head looked at, these guys have plenty experience and for some a genuine love for the club. These are exactly the type you need in the dressing room to point the younger guys in the right direction. It also helps if they are good players which they are, as long as their playing time is managed correctly.

Johnson is the 1 for me that championship clubs could go for as he's young and got something different in his locker really think he can turn out to be a great player in the future and if we stick to our guns can see a million coming our way as he must be worth that if players like goodwillie can fetch over 2 million not too long ago

Johnson is the 1 for me that championship clubs could go for as he's young and got something different in his locker really think he can turn out to be a great player in the future and if we stick to our guns can see a million coming our way as he must be worth that if players like goodwillie can fetch over 2 million not too long ago

there were reports about Jason Cummings going to Wolves for £1m - I'd take Cummings over Johnson most days.

I'd love it if we were to get £1m but I honestly can not see it

I wouldn't. He hasn't proved himself in the top flight. Other than a couple of goals against Rangers, which many lower league strikers have got in the past few years, he has largely been playing against lesser opposition. He fluffed his lines in his big moment in the semi-final as well.

Whereas Johnson this season has proved to be a matchwinner in the top flight time and time again this season. In our unthinkable rise to the top six, every single game we have got something from he has been key in. Sure, he's had his inconsistent spells but when he doesn't play well, neither do we. He has the attributes to go a lot further than Motherwell for me.

I think you'd have to consider his stock higher than Cummings'. I don't think it's coincidental McGhee has praised him in the press at any given opportunity.

• Like 3

I wouldn't. He hasn't proved himself in the top flight. Other than a couple of goals against Rangers, which many lower league strikers have got in the past few years, he has largely been playing against lesser opposition. He fluffed his lines in his big moment in the semi-final as well.

Whereas Johnson this season has proved to be a matchwinner in the top flight time and time again this season. In our unthinkable rise to the top six, every single game we have got something from he has been key in. Sure, he's had his inconsistent spells but when he doesn't play well, neither do we. He has the attributes to go a lot further than Motherwell for me.

I think you'd have to consider his stock higher than Cummings'. I don't think it's coincidental McGhee has praised him in the press at any given opportunity.

My only faint concern about Johnson is his bravery/attitude. On Saturday, after MacLean kicked him he was far less effective that he had been. Now, that might solely be down to the fact that Saint came on top of us after this, and remembered that they could play a bit too. He absolutely took them to bits up til then.

That said, I'm really picking at things for it. I love him, and I'd sign him to a ten year contract if he was up for it and we could afford it.

Cummings over Johnson? Certainly not.

Agree with most comments about the 5 senior players offered reduced terms. You do have to ask who is going to offer them better money? Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee United, Hibs, Ross County? I very much doubt it. Of the five, I'd really only be concerned if MacDonald was to leave. That said we do need some experience to help the younger players. Mark McGhee is no fool is will have contingency plans in place.

• Like 1

Agree with most comments about the 5 senior players offered reduced terms. You do have to ask who is going to offer them better money? Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee United, Hibs, Ross County? I very much doubt it. Of the five, I'd really only be concerned if MacDonald was to leave. That said we do need some experience to help the younger players. Mark McGhee is no fool is will have contingency plans in place.

Is McDonald one of them though? The five offered reduced terms as I counted (from the way it's been reported) are McManus, Hammell, Lasley, Samson and McFadden.

The way I read it was that the club have indicated that they'd like to take up McDonald's option. The decision he needs to make is whether or not he wants to accept the extra year.

Edit: McGhee's assertion at the weekend that we couldn't afford both McDonald and El Bakhtaoui would suggest to me that McDonald's option terms will be on par with what he's on at the moment (or at the very least that he'd remain one of our high earners).

Is McDonald one of them though? The five offered reduced terms as I counted (from the way it's been reported) are McManus, Hammell, Lasley, Samson and McFadden.

Yes, I think you're right Captain. McDonald is in a different position.

Johnson has the natural talent but I think his stamina is a bit suspect, he often blows himself out of matches far too early. Also he needs to improve his overall effectiveness and consistency but in terms of technical ability he's probably our best player.

I would say though that I think Jamie Murphy left us a significantly better player than Johnson is now and he went to League 1.

Johnson has the natural talent but I think his stamina is a bit suspect, he often blows himself out of matches far too early. Also he needs to improve his overall effectiveness and consistency but in terms of technical ability he's probably our best player.

I would say though that I think Jamie Murphy left us a significantly better player than Johnson is now and he went to League 1.

I agree Murphy was a more rounded player when he left than Johnson is now and even then Murphy had to serve a 2 year apprenticeship in English league 1 before making it to championship. Johnson is only proven is English conference (3 tiers below) and can't see him being a genuine target for championship teams. That said I said the same about Lee Erwin

Of the 5 my number one priority would be McManus. I think he has a big influence on the young defenders. He is also younger than Las and Hammell. Next I'd take Hammell. As for Keith he will be 37 and I think he will only be a bit part player next year. He could maybe get a job as player coach at a championship club and if he did should go with our best wishes. Not too worried about Samson one way or another and as for McFadden if he is on any more than washers I would not be signing him.

McGhee said in his press conference today that all the out of contract players had been offered deals. Does this include Jack Leitch?

I thought lasley should of retired last season really not effective any more! McManus is an absolute bomb scare at the back between him and Ripley we have conceded most of our goals!

Hall looks like an old player out there (in a good way) never seen him look worried always does the right thing keeps it simple think a lack of pace will hold is career back but think his floor is Stephen Craigan! Hope Thomas and Cadden and Moore watt can come through next year but we will see

I thought lasley should of retired last season really not effective any more! McManus is an absolute bomb scare at the back between him and Ripley we have conceded most of our goals!

Hall looks like an old player out there (in a good way) never seen him look worried always does the right thing keeps it simple think a lack of pace will hold is career back but think his floor is Stephen Craigan! Hope Thomas and Cadden and Moore watt can come through next year but we will see

I think you're massively underestimating the value of McManus in coaching Laing/ Kennedy/Hall through games. Hall looked much less of a player in the 20s final. McManus has his faults but his experience in not diving in and making forwards decisions limited has been notable. I would keep him , no question . Two young centre backs is far too risky.

I agree with bigweegiedosser. McManus talks the young centre backs through games.

He had played for Celtic, had umpteen Scotland caps and a good career in England. This raised the expectations among our support. His performances on the park have been quite good but maybe not as good as we all expected with his history. However I doubt if we could get a player with his experience with the money we offer. His influence on and off the park is only something we fans can guess about but McGhee speaks very highly of him and that is good enough for me. He is for me number one priority to resign from the 5 who are out of contract.

• Like 1

Also interesting to hear McGhee's comments re. Dom Thomas, effectively that they want to try and bring him through a lot more than they've done up until now (I believe the phrase 'work his nuts off' was used?). Comes back to the usual question about where he plays - talking amongst ourselves last night, consensus was that a role just behind the striker would be most effective, but he's suffered up to now in that the McDonald - Moult pairing has been a shoe-in. Be interesting to see us experiment a wee bit over the summer and the league cup games with an alternative:

GK - ???

DL - Hammell (assuming he signs)

DC - McManus (same)

DC - Hall

DR - Law

2 x MC - two of Lasley/Pearo/Cadden/Alan Campbell

ML - Marv

MR - Lionel

AMC - Dom

ST - Louis Moult

This is all assuming the five that have been made offers sign. Not thinking that we'd suddenly not play Skippy but the above is pretty much the only way I can see Dom being accommodated.

It's as if Josh Law & Steven Hammell never played all season...

• Like 1