2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Why all the negativity about Samson, he's a decent Goalkeeper. Obviously if Mark McGhee finds someone with a better pedigree we can afford to bring in then that's good, a bit of a fight for the gloves. I agree we've had Ruddy and Randolph but we've also had Twardzick. Long and, until he came good half way through, Ripley. If Samson starts I won't mind. Too many people look at players they've seen half a dozen times in their careers and make a judgement, you don't make Scotland squads by being inconsistant !

Why all the negativity about Samson, he's a decent Goalkeeper. Obviously if Mark McGhee finds someone with a better pedigree we can afford to bring in then that's good, a bit of a fight for the gloves. I agree we've had Ruddy and Randolph but we've also had Twardzick. Long and, until he came good half way through, Ripley. If Samson starts I won't mind. Too many people look at players they've seen half a dozen times in their careers and make a judgement, you don't make Scotland squads by being inconsistant !

You do by being the only one available as others have withdrawn from the squad.

Starting to think our projected for 10th place budget is poles apart from the similar outlook of St Johnstone's 10th place ideal.

I don't think Samson is that bad either. We did have a successful season a few years ago with Lee Hollis as our number one, a guy who looked like he'd Quantum Leaped into our squad.

I'm still in shock a guy who had barely played at any team prior to us became our main goalie for a season then disappeared into thin air. Thinking about it he may have Quantum Leaped into Jake Taylors body last season.

I don't think Samson is that bad either. We did have a successful season a few years ago with Lee Hollis as our number one, a guy who looked like he'd Quantum Leaped into our squad.

I'm still in shock a guy who had barely played at any team prior to us became our main goalie for a season then disappeared into thin air. Thinking about it he may have Quantum Leaped into Jake Taylors body last season.

From now on I want all posts on this forum to be Quantum Leap based. Thanks.

• Like 2

By all accounts, from what I've read, Killie fans were delighted to get shot of Samson so it depends how much stock you put in their opinion. Having said that, he's an experienced 'keeper at this level, despite his ability being open to question. However, given we went through last pre-season looking at the prospect of Twardzik being first choice and the season prior actually went into the season with with Twardzik as first choice then in that context I'm kind of OK with Samson extending his deal.

Given Ripley's away back to Boro and we've released Brett Long then had Samson left we'd be in a position where we had no first team goalkeepers and as Joeboy suggests earlier in the thread I'm not sure how much better we'd get on the wages we're offering so in that respect it seems to be very much a 'devil you know' sort of deal and also a pretty convenient one for both parties; the club are looking for an experienced goalkeeper on a permanent deal on wages fitting their budget and he's a goalkeeper who only has 2 first team games to his name since leaving Killie last year.

Equally it depends how things play out with the budgets for instance if it's the choice between retaining Samson on the wage we're offering and keeping say McDonald vs losing Skippy and getting in a marginally better goalie then I'm happy enough to go with the former tbh.

You're a fud.

Aye, fine -

Motherwell FC 2016 - cannae afford to travel to away friendlies -

And I'm a fud.

Right enough.

Nothing to do with the board's appalling contract policy and our ability to go for years without selling a homegrown player.

And what's the sum total of this contract? if Moore does well, he'll be offski on a free with us begging for a development fee.

Which has become the norm for MFC.

But of course, it's me that's the fud for pointing it out.

• Like 1

And if we sign Moore on a three year deal and he ends up shite, what do we do?

Wring your knickers out, if he turns out shite we punt him and sign somebody else. Footballers with a Guarantee of ability when signing aye right its Moore not Messi

You have to pay players when you punt them, contracts work both ways, they don't leave money on the table and they shouldn't. If we take the approach of signing everyone on long term deals on the off chance that they become a saleable asset, and paying them off if they don't, the club will be finished before the deals are up.

One year contracts for the youngsters, wtf?

We seem determined to avoid selling players. Or maybe our new club policy is to go cap in hand to other clubs in the development fee lottery.

Let's be quite honest about this. The question over Moore is this - Is he good enough for Motherwell? Not, will he be sold on. Barring something incredible happening we know he's not.

He's got a year to prove he can cut it in the Premiership, anything more would have been a waste of the limited monies we have now, have you not heard about the budget cuts?

Noted an article on news now site claiming that Ainsworth is mulling over a move to Plymouth Argyle.

Maybe nothing in it, but they are claiming noises on social media. Wonder if there would be a nominal transfer fee as he still has a year left on contract.

Always capable of a cracking goal, but struggle to find a slot in starting 11.

Also Scotsman has Moult at No6 in top 50 premiership players from last season.....quite right

Let's be quite honest about this. The question over Moore is this - Is he good enough for Motherwell? Not, will he be sold on. Barring something incredible happening we know he's not.

He's got a year to prove he can cut it in the Premiership, anything more would have been a waste of the limited monies we have now, have you not heard about the budget cuts?

This is Alice in Wonderland stuff.

"We know he's not good enough for Motherwell," - so we give him a one year contract.

:crazy:

I might have thought some of the remarks that came from the Well Society AGM the other evening would have put these contract renewals in a little more context.

Based on what was said It strikes me that if the club can almost mark time for a season financially and on the park before they get a chance to make the adjustment to the budgets they hint at and take receipt of the increased payments that come from the new SPFL broadcasting deal, then that would be viewed as a success.

These contract renewals kind of reflect that for me.

Of course the manager will rightly seek continual improvement and there the increasingly pressing issue of the succession plan for our ageing stalwarts remains but it seems to me that by retaining Moore and Ferguson we're no worse off from where we were last season. Both will add depth to the squad for what you might imagine is no great outlay. Little risk at little cost is how I see it.

Moore and Mackin will surely offer no less than what Clarkson and Fletcher did over the season with both having the incentive and potential to improve. Ferguson offers an option if Hall chooses to move on. And whilst I would personally prefer us to seek out a first choice goalkeeper again as a worst case Samson is of no worse a standard than some of our recent incumbents.

And with them all being one year deals if they don't work out they move on with that the hope that with an additional years development behind them more of the U20's will be ready, or other targets will have been identified, to take their places behind them. But if they do happen to make an impression I'm sure that a revised contract offer will pretty quickly come their way.

• Like 1

My guess is that we'd be happy to have the wage off our books and a fee won't be the deal breaker. I like ainsworth but he is probably getting paid too much for his limited role, and we have Dom Thomas ready to play a bigger part this year.

Ha! Totally missed it. Apologies.

Not a problem Capt. You are too polite for a football forum...

I would be sorry to see him go, but as pointed out it frees up a wage and McGhee may place more emphasis on other positions.

As it happens Derek Adams is Manager of Plymouth