2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Moore and Mackin will surely offer no less than what Clarkson and Fletcher did over the season with both having the incentive and potential to improve. Ferguson offers an option if Hall chooses to move on. And whilst I would personally prefer us to seek out a first choice goalkeeper again as a worst case Samson is of no worse a standard than some of our recent incumbents.

A good deal of sense in that Andy. The only comment I'd add is that Clarkson and Fletcher were not required much last season as back up. So, you could say that their contribution and presence was limited and in effect largely unnecessary. IF we suffered injuries to Moult and (McDonald if he re-signs) I wouldn't be too happy about going with Mackin and Moore (touch wood we don't). Doubt we'll miss Hall much if or rather when he moves on. Reasonably happy with Samson.

Anywhere approaching 200k for Ainsworth and I'll drive him to Plymouth myself. Unplayable on his day, but sadly his days are becoming few and far between. A good servant to the club and he would leave with my best wishes but I think it is the right time for him to go, in the best interests of both parties.

I don't know if anyone picked this up from Mark McGhee's interview a couple of days ago. He said "We're pleased to have the first of our business complete in what will no doubt be a busy summer". Now I assume that he was talking about personnel changes given the context of his interview (Ferguson, Samson and Moore) resigning. It struck me as being a bit odd. Most of us were expecting a couple of players to leave perhaps (Moult orJohnson and /or Hall) and maybe 2 players to come in along with a batch of routine resignings. Maybe its just me but I wouldn't call that a particularly busy summer. So given his comment and rumours of Ainsworth attracting interest there may be more moves in the pipeline than many of us are expecting. MM will no doubt want to refashion the squad along his own lines. Maybe an interesting few months ahead?

I don't know if anyone picked this up from Mark McGhee's interview a couple of days ago. He said "We're pleased to have the first of our business complete in what will no doubt be a busy summer". Now I assume that he was talking about personnel changes given the context of his interview (Ferguson, Samson and Moore) resigning. It struck me as being a bit odd.

I noticed it but on review really just took it as a turn of phrase. However the other quote that caught my attention was from Alan Burrows on Twitter where he remarked that on top of the contract stuff there were "A lot of irons in the fire too..." which again being a turn of phrase he uses quite often I didn't really read much into it beyond thinking "oh aye...?"

What did strike me as odd having seen the number of contracts we offered out was the idea that a new manager would be happy to just crack on with the same squad he inherited from the previous incumbent. Which is why for example Samson being offered a deal raised an eyebrow, for me at least. I'd have thought the opportunity to, forgive the cliché, put his own stamp on the team might be quite appealing.

I had wondered if we might look to try and address some of the more fringe players though (your Ainsworth's and Chalmers etc) since the whole thing of having players under contract who for whatever reason aren't quite fitting in the team and just accepting it, letting their contracts run down then releasing them in summer leaves us somewhat hamstrung. Obviously that's a 2 way street, you need another team to be willing to take the player on or even pay a fee where appropriate, we're not just going to rip up their deal and pay them off but it'd be nice if we could maybe be a bit more proactive in that respect, even if it's just loaning a player out for the season and getting their wage covered to free up a bit of space/budget.

Edit: For what it's worth, though it was clearly budget motivated the approach we took in January: loaning out Clarkson, moving Robinson on to Port Vale, Reid to Dunfermline etc was a step in the right direction on the whole squad management front.

Aye, fine -

Motherwell FC 2016 - cannae afford to travel to away friendlies -

And I'm a fud.

Right enough.

Nothing to do with the board's appalling contract policy and our ability to go for years without selling a homegrown player.

And what's the sum total of this contract? if Moore does well, he'll be offski on a free with us begging for a development fee.

Which has become the norm for MFC.

But of course, it's me that's the fud for pointing it out.

Nah, I bet you're a fud for lots of other reasons too !!!!

Don't know how I feel about Ainsworth to be honest. In his first season, I thought he was a joy to watch with all the screamers he was scoring. However, his second season, the poor players around him really accentuated his poor work rate and application at times. There was a point, probably January-March, where I'd have gladly driven him to somewhere like Plymouth. However, he then came back with a bang and was really crucial in us staying up and gave me what was one of, if the not the most enjoyable goals supporting Motherwell in my time at Ibrox.

I thought this season we might see the best of him and even when it was clear he wasn't in McGhee's first eleven I thought he was a great substitute to have. Taking aside perhaps Inverness away and Aberdeen at home, I can't really remember him coming on and turning the game or anything. On the flip side to that though, I have him on eight assists for the season, only second to McDonald on nine and equal with Johnson, despite playing much fewer minutes.

Despite the fact he has possibly the best technical ability in the team and he is capable of that moment of magic, especially on a big occasion, I would say that if we could get a six figure transfer fee and save the wages of one of our highest earners, who is becoming more and more of a peripheral figure, it would benefit us on the whole, especially with things as tight as they are.

• Like 1

I am a fan of Ainsworth but I think if we can get some return on him then we say thanks and make the deal happen. Thomas and maybe MacLean can be pushing for that backup winger role next year hopefully. I don't think Ainsworth is going to make it in a McGhee team and if we have the opportunity to sell him with a year to go we can hopefully get a small fee.

The thing with Ainsworth is that fans of other clubs who've had him in the squad over his much travelled career, couldn't believe that it was the same player who destroyed Rangers over two kegs in this play offs. However, how often does he display that form or performance?

Lets be honest about Ainsworth 1 good game every 6 or 7 is not good enough he is not a regular starter every week so its obvious Mcghee is not overly impressed either. If another club is in with a half decent 6 figure bid then the club should take it, that plus the wages saved would be a decent wad of cash

The thing with Ainsworth is that fans of other clubs who've had him in the squad over his much travelled career, couldn't believe that it was the same player who destroyed Rangers over two kegs in this play offs. However, how often does he display that form or performance?

Thing is with anyone who plays for Motherwell for any length of time, they'll have a flaw in their game. Moult? Lack of pace. Hammell? Lack of height. Ainsworth, it's lack of consistency. It's always a compromise. We're never going to get matchwinners (for Ainsworth can be that) who do it every week. If they do, they don't play for us that long.

For as long as I can remember, a Motherwell team has consisted of some players of limited ability who give 100% and are consistent and gifted individuals who are frustratingly inconsistent.

This is not a new thing. Question is, do the goals and assists Ainsworth provides make him worth it.?

• Like 1

Thing is with anyone who plays for Motherwell for any length of time, they'll have a flaw in their game. Moult? Lack of pace. Hammell? Lack of height. Ainsworth, it's lack of consistency. It's always a compromise. We're never going to get matchwinners (for Ainsworth can be that) who do it every week. If they do, they don't play for us that long.

For as long as I can remember, a Motherwell team has consisted of some players of limited ability who give 100% and are consistent and gifted individuals who are frustratingly inconsistent.

This is not a new thing. Question is, do the goals and assists Ainsworth provides make him worth it.?

That's the way I see it. For me Ainsworth is tipping into the latter now.

I'm on the fence on this one. We need to sell a player, and if an offer comes in, it would make sense to move him on.

On the other hand, a preseason under McGhee might give him a new lease of life.

I've agreed with all the points raised, it has just frustrated me that Ainsworth obviously is a very gifted player, both technically and blessed with pace. The issue has been his motivation.

He's been a player with us for some time now and if he had been performing like we know he can, we'd be getting interest from Championship clubs. As it is, with a year left on his contract, I'd put him to any team willing to offer six figures and release him from our wage bill.

On his day ainsowrth is one of the best players in the league. However he has the same issue Marv has in that they have no intention of helping out defensively. If the team are playing well then he is gold, if we are under pressure he's a man down.