2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

A quick check on Plymouth's transfer history shows they haven't paid a transfer fee for a player since an 'undisclosed' fee in the 12/13 season so it'd seem unlikely that they'd suddenly go from bringing in free transfers to paying out £500k for someone.

Edit: apologies, there was an 'undisclosed' fee paid in the 14/15 season's January window too but the general point still holds. The majority of their incoming players have been free transfers.

A quick check on Plymouth's transfer history shows they haven't paid a transfer fee for a player since an 'undisclosed' fee in the 12/13 season so it'd seem unlikely that they'd suddenly go from bringing in free transfers to paying out £500k for someone.

Edit: apologies, there was an 'undisclosed' fee paid in the 14/15 season's Janua

p,gry window too but the general point still holds. The majority of their incoming players have been free transfers.

Undisclosed means we have no way of knowing what the fee was. Be it few and far between they do pay fees when they feel it is warranted so let's not be too rash. But also let's not rush out making plans for the cash. Only time will tell

For what it's worth, the 12/13 fee Plymouth paid was a compensation fee for Paris Cowan-Hall an out of contract player from Woking. http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymouth-Argyle-sign-new-striker-Paris-Cowan-Hall/story-16217002-detail/story.html

The 14/15 fee was for Anthony O'Connor who had 6 months left on his deal at Blackburn and had been out on loan at Plymouth previously. http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/pilgrim-anto-2244036.aspx

League 2 Plymouth Argyle are not shelling out half a million on a player who can't get a game for Motherwell and is in the final year of his contract.

Silly season right enough.

• Like 1

The majority of the Plymouth key squad members that got them to the play offs were loan ins. They have a traditionally poor youth programme and seldom grow their own. Also, it wasn't terribly long ago that they almost went out of business following their collapse in the championship. This was their first decent season for some time!

The club will undoubtedly want to push on to league 1 next season but Derek Adams will have a rebuilding job to do. He may well be given a bit of cash to spend but that will most likely be on wages. Effectively, they operate in the same market as we do and will never be able to afford 500k for any player. Perhaps there was an extra 0 added as a typo.

I couldn't tell you the last time we sold a player in his 29th year for £500k. The only way a team would pay us that amount of money would be for a young player, who had the potential to become significantly better than Motherwell standard. He falls into the category of a player who has shown glimpses of ability throughout his career without ever reaching consistency, hence the fourteen clubs. A club would take a punt on a player like that for a nominal fee, or for free, but definitely wouldn't splash out anywhere near £500k on him. I said a six figure fee on my last post, but even then I think I was a tad ambitious in saying that- we might just be happy enough to get him off the wage bill.

If Ainsworth continues to be on the fringes of next season, we'll probably have a guy on the bench earning more than the new deals for the likes of McManus, Hammell and Lasley.

I think it's pretty obvious that we should be looking to sell someone this summer, especially with how McMahon was talking at that AGM.

If we get offered six figures for Ainsworth we need to take it, and to be honest I'd rather we sold him than Moult.

It's highly unlikely anyone is going to give us anything for Ainsworth but if we could move him on I wouldn't be against that. I think we've probably seen the best of him and he just didn't look right all of last season.

He did a good job for us, scored a few goals, set up a few as well but we are in a different era now.

Dom Thomas also needs to move up a spot in my opinion or we risk wasting a player with potential. He needs more game time than he's been getting.

If we've to sell a player, I don't think Ainsworth going for a pittance will solve that.

The only players in our team that could go for a reasonable fee this summer would be Moult and Johnson.

If we've to sell a player, I don't think Ainsworth going for a pittance will solve that.

The only players in our team that could go for a reasonable fee this summer would be Moult and Johnson.

If he'd been playing all season, I'd add Cadden to those two. Maybe in January or next summer...

Onus is on him

I'm sure that's true to some extent. The other challenge he faces, however, is that it's increasingly unusual for us to line up with 2 wide men. Which is understandable, even if it can make for some exciting attacking football.

I'm sure that's true to some extent. The other challenge he faces, however, is that it's increasingly unusual for us to line up with 2 wide men. Which is understandable, even if it can make for some exciting attacking football.

We don't have a big enough squad to have the luxury of only being able to play players in soecific positions. Thats one of the issues i have with Ainsworth going forward when he is on his game he can be brilliant but he never tracks back and helps out defensively so whatever full back he is in front of is left badly exposed. On last seasons evidence there was nothing to suggest this will change come August so if he is not an effective addition to the team then he should be moved on, always assuming he wants to go and there is an offer in for him.

If he'd been playing all season, I'd add Cadden to those two. Maybe in January or next summer...

I agree, however it does worry me with Cadden only having a two year deal, that next summer will be probably be the only point we could make decent money from him.

I'm a bit sceptical about an extension being signed in this period, especially if he continues to perform.

ffs - who was it that said last week that we are bad at marketing our players? with fans like ours.............if anyone from Plymouth Argyle is reading this......

Lionel Ainsworth is a scintillating attacking force who on his day can destroy any team. I refer you to the mockery he made of Rangers at the play-off matches last season, which just goes to show that he is a big game player. I also refer you to the posts where a fan suggested that we do a compilation of Ainsworth's best goal, he has scored many screamers in his time with us.

Put simply, if you had Ainsworth in your team for your play-offs, you would now be in the Championship, and you would be on your way to doing a Leicester.

Remember to sign the cheque, we'll give him a lift down.

Regards,

CMWellfan

Put simply, if you had Ainsworth in your team for your play-offs, you would now be in the Championship, and you would be on your way to doing a Leicester.

Remember to sign the cheque, we'll give him a lift down.

Regards,

CMWellfan

Or league 1 perhaps?