2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

From Twitter...

Alan Burrows@Alan_Burrows 2m

2 minutes agoScotland, United Kingdom

Hoping for a busy week at FP. All going well, should have some new arrivals and extended contracts. Deals all but agreed, just finalising...

Under four weeks til our first competitive game, I'd hope that things start moving soon...

i believe so, more to it than meets the eye

I think the boy has merited some amount of unwarranted abuse - IMO, he was decent, he was steady, never a standout but done a job

I tend to agree with your assessment of him but writing was on the wall when McGhee tried Laing there.

For me, if we sign Tait, it will mean that Laing will be our backup defender meaning no need to sign another centre back. Assuming that Ferguson and Watt will also be used to fill in when injuries and suspensions dictate we need it...

I tend to agree with your assessment of him but writing was on the wall when McGhee tried Laing there.

For me, if we sign Tait, it will mean that Laing will be our backup defender meaning no need to sign another centre back. Assuming that Ferguson and Watt will also be used to fill in when injuries and suspensions dictate we need it...

I'd be surprised if Watt steps up based on what I've seen of him so far. He steadied the ship a bit at East Fife (Law was getting a roasting that night) but equally, Watt has been roasted on the occasions I've seen him play there in the SPFL last year.

The old cliché of 'perhaps a pre season with McGhee' can be rolled out here; I sincerely hope it'll help him progress on to a 1st team player but I've yet to be convinced.

• Like 2

I know that English lower league is our level in the transfer market but normally it's paying a fee or getting someone at the end of their contract as a way of getting someone with a bit of promise. The thought of someone who has been released doesn't fill me with confidence.

Ben Heneghan, is probably unlikely as there has been a number of clubs keeping an eye on him since March. Depeneding which story you read it could be Hull, Brighton & Blackburn of Tranmere and Barrow..

Found this link with a whole range of possibilities and we aren't mentioned.

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chester-fc-could-ben-heneghan-11491996

As for Mickey Demetriou, looks like he got a knee injury in March........ http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36046638

This from an article looking at a replacement for Jamie McAllister at Exeter City

Mickey Demetriou

image: http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276269/binaries/demetriou.jpg

demetriou.jpg

Picture: Pinnacle

Demetriou, 26, is a tall left-back, standing at 6ft 2in. He was released by Shrewsbury Town this summer after three goals in 43 appearances, and is well-known for his free-kick taking abilities. He spent time at the Glenn Hoddle Academy in Spain, where he was turned from a striker into a defender, and then worked his way up the football pyramid from Eastbourne Borough, to Kidderminster Harriers and then Shropshire, before a short loan spell at Cambridge United. Another player who had an injury-hit season, Demetriou spent time on loan at the Abbey in the first half of 2015/16, playing against City at St James's Park, before managing one appearances for the Shrews. The left-back says he is keen to stay in League One, but if Paul Tisdale could tempt him to City, he could make a good signing.

Read more: http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/left-backs-replace-craig-woodman-jamie-mcallister/story-29351809-detail/story.html#ixzz4C7bx7AaW
Follow us: @expressandecho on Twitter | expressecho on Facebook

Read more at http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/left-backs-replace-craig-woodman-jamie-mcallister/story-29351809-detail/story.html#DvFlrxhwzqfdxWjW.99

Also heard rumblings of Ben Heneghan, CB for Chester City... and Mickey Demetriou, another CB who has just been released by Shrewsbury. Both England C Internationals.

If folk are just trawling through Flow's 'followiing' list on Twitter then along with Demetriou and Heneghan we'll be being linked with Craig Slater, Jackson Irvine, Will Vaulks, Haris Vuckic and Abdul Osman next as he started following them around the same time.

Also heard rumblings of Ben Heneghan, CB for Chester City... and Mickey Demetriou, another CB who has just been released by Shrewsbury. Both England C Internationals.

How many defenders do we need? We already have McManus, Kennedy and Laing and Ferguson has extended his contract. If the budget is tight, seems unlikely we'd be bringing in so many players for the one position. Unless Kennedy or Laing are being moved on...

I know that English lower league is our level in the transfer market but normally it's paying a fee or getting someone at the end of their contract as a way of getting someone with a bit of promise. The thought of someone who has been released doesn't fill me with confidence.

Guys like Ross McCormack and Dom Thomas were released. As was Skippy. There can be all sorts of reasons behind it. Not all bad.

Guys like Ross McCormack and Dom Thomas were released. As was Skippy. There can be all sorts of reasons behind it. Not all bad.

I agree that not all reasons for being released are bad but there's a big difference between not making the grade at Rangers or Celtic, in the case of your examples, and being released by Shrewsbury. It appears he's been affected by injury and maybe we'll assess the risk and give him a chance but Shrewsbury don't seem to want to take that risk.