2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Aye, difference being our first competitive game wasn't until the start of August last season. This season, it comes a bit earlier.

There is a difference between starting to panic and thinking that the club really need to be getting the finger out...

True but does it really make any practical difference whether they've announced a month, 2 weeks, a week before pre-season or not? If the first team squad isn't actually in then what difference does it make?

It'd be different if it we were likely to be making a marquee signing that might help shift some season tickets but the reality is that we'll be looking at free transfers and bringing in players at the end of their contracts (hence why the English transfer window is significant). Presumably players, their representatives and the contracting parties will have a schedule indicating when a deal can or can't be announced. The club also, quite rightly, have a policy of not commenting on deals before they're able to be officially announced, to me that's just good practice.

As far as I can see there's a general timeline that the club seem to follow where they start announcing incoming players, which is usually just before or around the start of pre-season. They've already announced a few contract renewals and going by the timeframe that we're looking at vs previous seasons then you'd imagine we'll start to see incoming announcements as we approach the English window opening.

Good news about Keith. Strange time to release the news mind you when most of us are caught up in the Ireland game.

Maybe felt that they had to announce something sooner rather than later.

Interesting that McGhee in his quotes strongly hinting that he will be phasing Lasley out with a strong focus on what Lasley brings off the field. On that basis, would be looking for a minimum of two midfield signings...

So we now have Lasley signed up, with the tacit admission that he will not be able to play the full season, and a possible reserve keeper if he passes a medical. While not the worst, it certainly isn't that exciting. Hopefully the situation regarding McDonald, Hammell and now Pearson can be clarified soon so that we know where we stand. I also think it would be in our interests to try and deal with the contracted players who are not in our plans for next season like Chalmers and Law.

Maybe felt that they had to announce something sooner rather than later.

Interesting that McGhee in his quotes strongly hinting that he will be phasing Lasley out with a strong focus on what Lasley brings off the field. On that basis, would be looking for a minimum of two midfield signings...

I didn't pick that up from his quotes at all. It's basically the same as last year.

Well boss Mark McGhee said Keith is one of our most effective players so from a footballing sense, I am delighted to have him for at least one more year.

However, he is more than just that for us hes a captain in every sense of the word. He, along with some of our other excellent senior pros, help set the culture at the club and take a real involvement in other areas such as the Under 20s and the Academy.

When youre building a squad, which were doing, you need guys who know what the club, the support and its expectations are all about, and thats Las.

We have plenty of more work to do, but retaining Keith in our structure is something I am very pleased about. He will play a key part for us in 2016/17.

It was? Anytime I turned over, it just looked Italy couldn't really be arsed.

I thought that as well, the snippets I did see in between trying to fix the shower. You're obviously not getting caught up in the mass hysteria in Ireland Numpty. The Irish guy at my work didn't make it in this morning - boss is less than impressed!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chester-fc-ben-heneghan-expected-11513205.amp?client=safari#

Looks like we've been scouting England C internationals. Most names popping up have England C caps. We're Marv and Moult not Enfland C caps too?

Again, I have to say that I'm surprised that centre backs seem to be our priority. Given the rumours surrounding Ainsworth, the fact that McDonald has still to sign a contract, Hammell hasn't re-signed yet and we have three first team centre backs with two others on the fringes, use of a small budget on defenders seems odd (I say defenders plural given the strong rumours regarding Richard Tait).

I know that in forward areas we have Moore, Mackin, Thomas and Ross MacLean and I'm in favour of giving our young players their chance, but we run the risk of having an unbalanced squad...