2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

You know I don't have that link so there's your internet victory for the evening - well done.

What I do know is that he was offered reduced terms on the option part of his contract which automatically made him a free agent. That's always been the case, even pre-Bosman - reduced terms = automatic free.

I can't believe our club reneged on the second year of McDonald's deal, can't believe it.

Aye I know you didn't have it clearly. It was to show the fact your statement was based not on fact but on an assumption. Get angry when it's confirmed he is away if you want but until he is relax yerself and be prepared to be challenged when you say something that isn't true.

The club offer what they can afford for each player. Just because 1 player signs up on a deal does not equal the specific reason another potentially leaves. It's part of a larger budget being spread across 20 odd players.

Aye I know you didn't have it clearly. It was to show the fact your statement was based not on fact but on an assumption. Get angry when it's confirmed he is away if you want but until he is relax yerself and be prepared to be challenged when you say something that isn't true.

The club offer what they can afford for each player. Just because 1 player signs up on a deal does not equal the specific reason another potentially leaves. It's part of a larger budget being spread across 20 odd players.

McDonald is a free agent, an ex-Motherwell player.

Can we afford to lose him?

Yes. We did pretty well before we signed him (best of the rest, and all that). He didn't keep us out of the playoffs when we did.

Despite his contribution last season, if we need a cheaper option then we can afford to lose him.

• Like 1

Clubs most consistent performer over the last 10yr, last season was the first time he had suffered reasonably serious injuries. Never been challenged by any incoming player at left back. and the guy is motherwell through and through, we fans can be fickle!

More like fkin pathetic

I hate it when stalwarts of this club are treated like waste of space. A second year may prove a luxury but I would much rather retain the services of Hammell and Lasley than take a chance. For what we are paying them I suspect this still represents good business.

• Like 7

Happy if the news about Hammell is true. I imagine a 2 year deal is partly a trade off for taking a wage cut. Hopefully he can get a good pre-season under his best and shake off the knocks and strains that have dogged him since Starjnan.

The relatively sudden loss of Pearson and McDonald worries me somewhat, They are 2 of the best players in the league. Hopefully McGhee gets suitable funds to replace adequately but it won't be easy.

The mention of an attacking midfielder had me thinking about Stefan Scougall. Don't think he's in Sheffield United's plans and there was talk in January about a return to Scotland.

More like fkin pathetic

I hate it when stalwarts of this club are treated like waste of space. A second year may prove a luxury but I would much rather retain the services of Hammell and Lasley than take a chance. For what we are paying them I suspect this still represents good business.

Couldn't agree more. We complain when they move on so quickly and we complain when they show loyalty over a number of years and stay with us long term or return to us after stints down south.

If anyone deserves a reprieve from the fans its the likes of hammy and las

could not agree more a 1 year deal would have been enough, maybe we are tying him down in case we get a big offer in for him.

Worth keeping, quite simple really.

Unbelievable amount of self - righteous tosh spouted on the subject . Do I feel happy about having a back four featuring -

- an actual left back, with a wealth of experience we just couldn't ever buy

- an actual right back, very experienced and well thought of by his previous clubs

- a centre half with Champions League and International experience who can bring part her after partner on

- another centre half- perm anyone from Laing / Kennedy / Heneghan . All big physical athletic guys who can be brought on by the other three

That'll do me fine

Midfield is the recruitment priority, without question.

I have high hopes for Alan Campbell. Cadden will hopefully push on from last season. Las is key in supporting and developing them. For me I'd like to see a defensive mid and a playmaking mid.

• Like 1

If confirmed, Stevie Hammell's re-signing is interesting. At the very least it will give us some continuity and consistency which we'll need given the unexpected number of departures. It would also seem to confirm that no other club was prepared to offer him a markedly better deal than us even taking into account the drastically reduced offer - telling in itself. He may have received a slightly better deal elsewhere but decided to stick with us - who knows. Surprised however its reportedly for 2 years.

Outwith the Old Firm and Shinnie, are there any left backs markedly better than Hammell in the SPL? None leap immediately to mind. Given his age, should we looking to develop a successor? Of course. Will it be easy to find someone as consistent? Answer would have to be no.

As Lobey_Dosser points out, the prospect of losing McDonald and Pearson and trying to replace them with players that will contribute as much is a lesson that while we'd like to replace guys the wrong side of 32, it's not always that easy...

• Like 1

Some of the backlash to Hammell resigning both here and on twitter is ridiculous.

I think a one year deal would have sufficed personally, but we are asking a guy who has played 550 games for us to take a significant drop in wages, his agent probably threw the second year in there as a condition of the lower wage for an added bit of security and I don't blame him. It's not like he will be on daft money, certainly not anymore, and given he coaching with us now as well, is it really going to be that much of a tax on us having him around next season? Some people plainly need to get a grip, he's been a fantastic servant to the club and although he's had an injury prone last two seasons, go and compare our win ratio with and without.

Also, gutted to see Pearson go. Don't think the fee will cover the loss that a central midfielder with his stamina and a one in three goal ratio. Not many players of his type about and he'll be a tough one to replace.

• Like 4

It certainly sounds as though it's all been done amicably and the option is there if it suits both parties. He's said he really wanted to go so there was not point in keeping an unhappy player, we've got some compensation and he may be able to return. Sensible business all round (although I'd prefer him to be staying).