2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

As he is 23 do we need to pay compensation ? ( assuming they offered the contract early enough)

I don't know if we do or not; their fans seem to suggest that we don't as it's an international transfer but I thought that 'window' as it were was closed now? I know we used it to sign Porter compensation free but that was years ago.

Plymouth have released a statement suggesting the player had signed a contract extension.

The story seems to be that Plymouth had, essentially, a statement of intent from his agent in writing last week that the player would sign anot extended contract come Monday (yesterday). Pen wasn't actually put to paper on the contract though and he got our offer and changed his mind.

Kick in the baws for Plymouth but there ye go. Delighted.

http://www.plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=444494

Just how important is Carl McHugh to Plymouth Argyle?

The statistics for league games show that the defensive midfielder has been a crucial player for Argyle this season and when he's absent through injury the team do not win many points.

At the start of the season the 23-year old Irishman was converted from a centre-back to a defensive midfielder by manager Derek Adams, a move that surprised many fans.
However, McHugh's performances in front of the defence have been vital this season as Argyle aim for promotion.
His sweeping, tackling, closing down and passing protects the back four and is a springboard for the more creative players in the team like Gregg Wylde and Graham Carey.
McHugh's latest injury meant that he missed the 3-2 defeat against Dagenham on Saturday but surely if he had played he would have been patrolling in front of the back four and stopped Matt Cash from waltzing through to score the second goal for the Daggers.

McHugh has played in 36 leagues games this season, missing eight games because of injury, the stats show that with McHugh playing the team has won 69 points with a record of 21 wins, six draws and nine defeats with an average of 1.92 points per game.

With McHugh absent for eight games the team has struggled, winning two games, drawing two and losing four, at an average of just one point per game.

There are many factors to consider, especially the performances of other players but in simple terms the stats show that McHugh is worth an average of 0.92 points per game, in other words if McHugh had played the full 44 games his presence would have added seven points to Argyle's total and put the Greens in second place in League Two on 84 points and within touching distance of automatic promotion.

There have been injuries to other key players over the season, most notably Graham Carey, Reuben Reid and Ryan Brunt but it does seem that the absence of McHugh for eight games has defined Argyle's season.

Compensation is only due up to the age of 23. As it stands he's over 23 (his birthday is Feb 5th ie: last season was the season he turned 23). The player was out of contract and as Superward says their statement only indicates that the player had expressed an intention to sign not that he had actually signed. Basically Plymouth are on to plums.

Edit: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/regulations_on_the_status_and_transfer_of_players_en_33410.pdf

TRAINING COMPENSATION

Article 1 Objective 1. A player’s training and education takes place between the ages of 12 and 23. Training compensation shall be payable, as a general rule, up to the age of 23 for training incurred up to the age of 21, unless it is evident that a player has already terminated his training period before the age of 21. In the latter case, training compensation shall be payable until the end of the season in which the player reaches the age of 23, but the calculation of the amount payable shall be based on the years between the age of 12 and the age when it is established that the player actually completed his training.

Article 20 Training compensation Training compensation shall be paid to a player’s training club(s): (1) when a player signs his fi rst contract as a professional and (2) each time a professional is transferred until the end of the season of his 23rd birthday. The obligation to pay training compensation arises whether the transfer takes place during or at the end of the player’s contract. The provisions concerning training compensation are set out in Annexe 4 of these regulations.

brilliant signing. seen him play a few times and he has been very good. I was actually going to suggest him as a target last week then read a news report saying he had agreed a new contract wi Plymouth and was expected in to sign it when he got home from a trip to Dublin! Superb news

Aye and i was going to put the winning lottery numbers on last weekend. Never heard of him. I reserve judgement til i see him play.

Plymouth have released a statement suggesting the player had signed a contract extension.

"Suggested" being the operative word. Seems he had agreed to a contract extension, but hadn't actually signed one.

From reading the PA forum, he appears to play the defensive midfield role and has a good eye for a pass. The only drawback from the comments I read was that he is pretty slow. I'm hoping the next midfielder in is a bit more of an attacking threat. Pleased with this one as the majority of posters deemed him pretty useful and part of the spine of the team.

Good to see we have a midfielder on board, albeit a converted one. With a bit of luck he can fill the Jennings role.

Interesting to read that we'll have to wheel and deal to get our other midfielder. Presume that means Law, Chalmers or Ainsworth. Get the feeling this will be slightly higher profile signings, hopefully the Henderson hunch comes to fruition.

McHugh seems to tick all the boxes. He is young, and can play a few positions. He played CB in the League Cup Final for Bradford a few years ago. He also turned out at left back for them. Derek Adams converted him into a defensive midfielder. With a small squad a versatile player will be important to us.

However of course whether it is a good signing or not will depend on the most important factor, his ability.

Looking at wiki we signed Porter and Coke when they were 23 so if they moved within England their clubs would have got compensation but they got heehaw from us.

Humphrey's wiki says he was offered a contract by Shrewsbury after the play off final so he did a Jack Leitch to them.