2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Law goes with my best wishes, It was never going to be easy when your right midfielder in Ainsworth gives you zero protection. I lost count of how many times he was left two players on the right while Ainsworth stood at the half way line. The abuse he got from the east stand was largely unmerited in my book, especially in comparison to Hammel, I'm almost certain we lost more goals from the Left. One of our best players throughout the Baraclough downward spiral, and put in a solid shift during the playoff games.

However, he shouldn't be too hard to replace or improve upon, a steady squad player at best. You're either amazing or shite at Motherwell, that seems to be how it's looked at.

• Like 1

I wish Josh all the best, got a hard time from fans on occasions but guy was trying his best and wasn't a natural right-back. He also signed a new 2yr deal before the play-off so that showed great commitment. Probably sign him back in about 4 to 5 years time!!!

For all the best wishes for his efforts that people have been giving him (and rightly so) it's telling that that two seasons on and there are still fans who insist he is never a "proper" midfielder and a similarly high volume who insist he's not a "proper" full-back.

• Like 1

For all the best wishes for his efforts that people have been giving him (and rightly so) it's telling that that two seasons on and there are still fans who insist he is never a "proper" midfielder and a similarly high volume who insist he's not a "proper" full-back.

This really. Not good enough for this level although I'd never question his effort.

I heard Dundee United were looking at him. They lacked any goalscoring threat last season and I always thought Fletcher had the ability to be a good 18 yard box player.

I'd rather give Moore a chance and Blyth might be a better team player though.

With Moult, Slippy and Marvin I'd have been pleased to retain that forward ability, but I'm pleased we've adied others to the mix.

Connor Ripley being loaned out by Middlesbrough apparently for the season!

Would have made sense for us before e signed up Samson and Brill, but not now. Boro' might also think that he could be playing at a higher standard than herein the English Championship or their League One. Looked like he was developing into a decent keeper with us so another season would have seen him continue on that path, but not to be. Good luck to the lad.

I've not seen the Ripley story but assume Boro want to loan him out to a higher level. I think McGhee would have held off with Samson/Brill if there was a chance of getting Ripley back.

I'm never a fan of taking the same player on loan more than once. The Ripley signing struck me as a bit of a last-ditch effort, given we had missed out on Samson previously (although was that the season before?), but he developed well over his time with us and was a pretty safe pick towards the end.

I'm pretty happy with both our keepers at the moment - unlikely to reach the Ruddy/Randolph heights but solid SPFL level. With the budgetary restrictions we're apparently working within I can't really argue.