2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

I'm hoping that McHugh might be that elusive replacement for Lasley and hopefully we can rotate between those two and Campbell for the deeper midfield roles.

For the wide roles we have Johnson, Thomas, Cadden, Ainsworth and McLean.

Interesting to see which strikers we go with given Moult is out. Blyth has a physical presence which will be useful against some of the other teams in the league.

A lot will depend on Hammell. If he is not fit we will struggle on that side. I think Tait will tighten up the right side. No more Josh Law critics...

Don't worry, they'll definitely find a replacement.

• Like 1

Don't worry, they'll definitely find a replacement.

I think some have already in Chalmers. IMO the problem is not midfield its LB as as much as I like Hammie I think he is done so a replacement for him is paramount. I'd love him to keep fit and prove me wrong but I'm not hopeful
  • Like 1

I'm hoping that McHugh might be that elusive replacement for Lasley and hopefully we can rotate between those two and Campbell for the deeper midfield roles.

For the wide roles we have Johnson, Thomas, Cadden, Ainsworth and McLean.

Thats fine as far as it goes, but what about the attacking central midfielder role (creative or box to box)? I realise that the club were probably caught cold when Pearo left but I find it incredible that we're going into competitive games in the new season without one, not a single attacking central midfielder. Now we may well sign one, even on loan in the next 6 weeks or so, but I reckon this is bad planning or more accurately a failure to plan.

Thats fine as far as it goes, but what about the attacking central midfielder role (creative or box to box)? I realise that the club were probably caught cold when Pearo left but I find it incredible that we're going into competitive games in the new season without one, not a single attacking central midfielder. Now we may well sign one, even on loan in the next 6 weeks or so, but I reckon this is bad planning or more accurately a failure to plan.

Before the signing of McHugh, McGhee stated than an attacking midfielder was his priority. He indicated that he had targets in mind. This will still be the case. Despite the income from Pearson however, I suspect he may have to 'wheel and deal' a wee bit more than originally anticipated.

Digressing a little, do we know if Lucas is still on trial?

Before the signing of McHugh, McGhee stated than an attacking midfielder was his priority. He indicated that he had targets in mind. This will still be the case. Despite the income from Pearson however, I suspect he may have to 'wheel and deal' a wee bit more than originally anticipated.

Agreed. As it stands I count a first team squad of 19, going back to the start of the close season when McGhee was explaining in detail the thinking behind the reduced terms being offered he quoted working on a squad of 20 bodies or IIRC 21 "if we have a 2nd goalkeeper"

Obviously if they've naively budgeted on their incorrect assumption that they'd be getting their 3 home games against the ugly sisters then you can see how the budget could have taken a hit but as you say an attacking midfielder was identified as a priority when Pearson moved, long after the fixtures were announced so it seems unlikely that it's no longer the case.

It may well be that it's as much an issue of availability as anything.

Edit: It's speculation obviously but what could possibly explain an awkwardness with the budget would be if Pearson is likely to be back in January, as has been rumoured, and the club are building his wage into the budget from January onwards.

What was the point in fielding 2-3 trialists in our recent friendlies if we had no intention of signing them (if McGhee is to be believed)?

I think some have already in Chalmers. IMO the problem is not midfield its LB as as much as I like Hammie I think he is done so a replacement for him is paramount. I'd love him to keep fit and prove me wrong but I'm not hopeful

Interested to know where the sudden hammy is done chat has come from?

I'd assume observations of the time he was able to get himself fit on the park last year him being even more out of position and behind the play than usual plus that horrorshow on Saturday.

I slagged Joe Chalmers off as much as anyone but I thought he played really well on Saturday in the middle of the pitch, made some important tackles and played some nice passes, was almost like watching a new signing! I'd give him a few games in there alongside Cadden and see how he progresses, he's certainly not a left back though!

• Like 1

I don't know so much about Chalmers. He had a reasonably good game, but he done nothing to show me he wasn't just a stop gap we could get through a game with. I wouldn't seriously consider him even to be a short time solution in there. I'd have much preferred Allan Campbell to get the nod.

• Like 1

Didnt expect that to be honest.

Can only think it frees up some wages and that is some of the wheeling and dealing that needs to be done to get another midfielder in.

Skippy, Blyth, Johnson, Mackin, MacLean, Thomas vying for 3 forward spots it would seem. (if we go 4-3-3 the season)

Seems really odd on the basis that we gave him a year a couple of months ago and we're a striker down with Moult being injured. He'll clearly start every week at Ayr which he wouldn't at Fir Park but that was surely clear when he agreed the year extension.

In truth I'd say that an additional midfielder (or two) is a bigger priority at the moment given that we can perm 3 from McDonald, Blyth, Johnson, Ainsworth, Thomas and at a push Mackin for a front 3. So if Moore moving helps facilitate a midfielder coming in then fair enough. Just seems really weird in context.

Edit: just seen thisGRAEME's post, Faddy in as the additional low cost 4th choice striker would seem to be the obvious move if we're light up front.