2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Are there any other hypothetical situations that we can get pissed off about? I personally think it would be a disgrace if we sold Moult to rangers for a tenner.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm sure if it was in the paper this morning that we were going to sell Moult to Rangers for a tenner, it would be getting discussed on here. It's not as if we're discussing the fact that some guy in the pub last night said he reckoned McDonald would go back to Australia. The story in the papers may turn out to be nonsense, but people are entitled to any opinion as how it would look IF it came to pass...
  • Like 1

I understand what you're saying, but I'm sure if it was in the paper this morning that we were going to sell Moult to Rangers for a tenner, it would be getting discussed on here. It's not as if we're discussing the fact that some guy in the pub last night said he reckoned McDonald would go back to Australia. The story in the papers may turn out to be nonsense, but people are entitled to any opinion as how it would look IF it came to pass...

I'd be more inclined to believe the guy in the pub than a quoteless article in any of the rags up here. Half the shite they print is just made up to fill pages and keep the OF fans happy!

I'd be more inclined to believe the guy in the pub than a quoteless article in any of the rags up here. Half the shite they print is just made up to fill pages and keep the OF fans happy!

I'm not one for defending the media in this country but given the close proximity of McDonalds contract extension, it seems a bit of an obscure story to develop out of nowhere.

Recent years would suggest that when it comes to McDonald, one or two journalists tend to know the script.

• Like 1

I'm not one for defending the media in this country but given the close proximity of McDonalds contract extension, it seems a bit of an obscure story to develop out of nowhere.

Recent years would suggest that when it comes to McDonald, one or two journalists tend to know the script.

I am inclined to agree. Not one to usually jump on the panic bandwagon...and not doing that yet.

However, stories like this are usually put down to 'agent leaked to get a better deal' etc. This is a different situation as a new deal was just agreed.

However, stories like this are usually put down to 'agent leaked to get a better deal' etc. This is a different situation as a new deal was just agreed.

Agents leaking stories to get players better deals is something I believe just does not happen anywhere ever.

You think conversations in board rooms are going along the lines of "Just saw Scott McDonald linked with Sydney FC in the Daily Record. Fuuuuuuck, let's offer him another grand a week!"?

Edit - that's just my opinion and I could well be in the minority, I just don't think football agents are as clever/mischevious as some people do.

Are there any other hypothetical situations that we can get pissed off about? I personally think it would be a disgrace if we sold Moult to rangers for a tenner.

My conspiracy theory is that Neil Lennon has had a story planted to blacken the character of McDonald after the Hibs Didn't Want Him But Were Bealin' When He Signed For Motherwell debacle.

Away to put my tinfoil hat on.

My conspiracy theory is that Neil Lennon has had a story planted to blacken the character of McDonald after the Hibs Didn't Want Him But Were Bealin' When He Signed For Motherwell debacle.

Away to put my tinfoil hat on.

Amusingly there's a big photo of Lennon in the Mail piece which also seems to have been updated at 14:17, presumably to change the name of the team he's been linked to which is now Western Sydney Wanderes which is in line with Jackson's story (and ran 11:50).

The BBC gossip page still quotes the Mail story as Sydney FC (whose CEO dismissed the story when it ran).

The 'Burrows should follow him out the door' chat is what I was laughing at.

Yeah, he has a point about a contracted player and we should receive a fee, even nominal, but if McDonald wants to go then we should let him.

You know, on this particular occasion, he would have something of a point. To not ask for a fee for a player who had just signed a new contract would leave the club open to question if it came to pass...

If McDonald wants to go back to finish his career in his homeland, then should the club stand in his way? An unhappy player will not be an asset to the club and is unlikely to perform as we would hope. I'd suggest that there are some circumstances where we have to realise that it is time for a player to leave and make the best of it. Every situation will be different and have to be looked at individually, in its own merit, but I do think it is a sign of professionalism to be able to see all sides in an argument and be prepared to negotiate to as close to a solution where everyone gets the best deal possible. There is absolutely no reason why our club being "easy to deal with" should make us a soft touch.

• Like 1

I certainly have some sympathy with that argument. It's tempered a little by the fact that players expect a club to offer them a contract for security and then to honour that contract.

Expecting to be able to just walk away from that smacks a little of cake-and-eat-it syndrome.

Just the way that the pendulum has swung legally. Clubs used to hold all the power with regard to contracts, they abused the situation to their advantage and after various ground breaking court actions, Bosman being the most famous, the players now hold the whip hand.

Letting McDonald go for nowt starts a trend....that's my only worry. He is a key player and unless we can pull the trigger on a replacement the Oz team should be expected to stump up the cash for the position it would leave us in.

Edit: on that note - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mcdonalds-move-australia-collapses-8460270#pdfCTwBRCqQRVYr0.97. Good on the club

• Like 1