2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

His agent makes some good points about Marvin not being anywhere near the valuations thrown around.

McGhee has brought this on himself talking about it constantly getting the player and support wound up.

Agreed. We should know our place and gratefully take what we are given.

His agent makes some good points about Marvin not being anywhere near the valuations thrown around.

McGhee has brought this on himself talking about it constantly getting the player and support wound up.

It's McGhee's fault because Motherwell are holding out for the best deal they possibly can for a contracted player?

I'm fully aware that a lot of Motherwell fans don't like the manager, but that is a fucking belter. My word!

• Like 3

It's McGhee's fault because Motherwell are holding out for the best deal they possibly can for a contracted player?

I'm fully aware that a lot of Motherwell fans don't like the manager, but that is a fucking belter. My word!

Agreed...I get that there are plenty people who didnt want McGhee back (me being one of them), but the guy is here now and clearly a better manager than the chump we had previously. Some of the stuff that McGhee seems to get the blame for, from supporters of his own club, is ludicrous though.

Holding out for an offer that suits us is fair enough.

However the constant talk in the press has resulted in the player demanding to leave and a good chunk of our support expecting 7 figures for a player who has more bad games than good.

Teams with money to spend don't do their scouting via the record or sportsound. What do we gain by McGhee talking about a potential transfer all summer?

"Football manager praises in demand player"
  • Like 1

Canny be letting him go for any less than 700k and at that you would hope Mcghee has a few replacements in mind. Also not sure what to think regarding the 'family reasons' / back down south to the family.. the bird he has up the duff is from wishaw.

I would guess that the figure the club are looking for is not 7 figures (although if he was playing for Crewe or some other diddy team down south that'd be the going rate) but at this stage it's all speculation.

What we do know is that we've had one insulting bid from Oxford and nothing else so at this point I'm all for the club's stance.

Saying we bought him for a nominal fee so we should accept any scraps we are offered (as his agent appears to be sating) is a joke. We gave him an opportunity to step up a few levels and are entitled to expect a fair price for our part in his development.

• Like 1

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7222001/Chris-Cadden-hails-wanted-Motherwell-man-Marvin-Johnson.html

Aye, right enough, its only McGhee thats been talking him up, add to that Stephen Craigan whenever he is on BT Sport...this is a Club policy, talk our players up and hopefully we'll get decent money for him, next window it will be Moult or Cadden. Unfortunately, the current player we are touting has reacted badly in my opinion, hes believed the hype that we have been trying to make other Clubs believe.

McGhee has done exactly the right thing. I don't care what the valuations thrown around are, but talking up a player does no harm. Talking down a player, like we have been doing for years, never has a positive effect on their transfer fee (if we even mange to move them on).

In poker terms, it's +EV to big up a player.

McGhee has done exactly the right thing. I don't care what the valuations thrown around are, but talking up a player does no harm. Talking down a player, like we have been doing for years, never has a positive effect on their transfer fee (if we even mange to move them on).

In poker terms, it's +EV to big up a player.

It's not poker though. There's no bluffing, any team that wants to sign him can easily get every minute he has played for us on video. What McGhee says in the press is irrelevant to other clubs. It only effects our support and the player involved.

There's no need to talk up or down. When he adds end product he'll get the move he deserves. McGhee, Craigan or McManus can say what they want in the press but we only get a decent fee if he delivers on the park which he hasn't.

Sure they can get every game on video. But the more a player is talked up, the more likely a local scout will pick up on it, the more likely a club will be to have look when they maybe wouldn't have before.

Ultimately, yes, it's down to the performance of the player. But if you think the talking up of a player does not and never inflates a price or gets a player moved on then I think most will agree that is wrong.

The English have been hyping players up for years, whether at Club level or the media fawning over their International team to the point that everybody believes they are the best players on the planet...

Scottish clubs have started doing it too, Dundee United and Hibs have a bit of a track record where this is concerned, as do Celtic in recent years.

Steelboy is at it, if he doesnt think that Motherwell as a Club haven't been trying to drum up a bit of interest in one of our sellable assets.

Steelboy is at it, if he doesnt think that Motherwell as a Club haven't been trying to drum up a bit of interest in one of our sellable assets.

Obviously we have but we have made an arse of it by asking for too much for a guy who produces little.

If we sell him tomorrow for a realistic price the fans will be in uproar (it's incredible that people have read his agent's statement and are still talking about 750k plus add ons).

If we don't sell him we are stuck with an unhappy player who already shows questionable effort.

He posted on June 12th that he's got a second kid on the way. Wanting to move closer to home in that context would seem a genuine enough reason IMO. I'm sure the increase in wages that a Championship side would offer would also be helpful.

Be interesting to know what Gino would say if Newcastle jumped into the mix. Could he still use the personal reasons as a smoke screen.

Further to my post yesterday, looks like the club had this pulled on them and are rightly pissed off. Reeks of petulance. Gino wants a payday and no doubts so does Marv.

My advice for Gino is, negotiate 1 to 2 year deals in future you trumpet and don't use the media to mask your oversight and inability to do your job.

Why do all agents always have one mundane and pretty standard name and one fruity one?

Steelboy - You know that thing where you say something and everyone disagrees but you keep on going, not willing to accept you may be wrong ...... just going to look back and see how critical you were when we sold players for buttons or got nothing for them. You could save me a job however.

• Like 2

How dare we try to run a profitable business .

We could change our business plan from effectively playing bargain hunt in the English non league system and selling players to clubs who already rejected them to something revolutionary like....

Making money from cup runs, bringing our own youths through and increasing attendances by playing decent football.

Obviously we have but we have made an arse of it by asking for too much for a guy who produces little.

If we sell him tomorrow for a realistic price the fans will be in uproar (it's incredible that people have read his agent's statement and are still talking about 750k plus add ons).

If we don't sell him we are stuck with an unhappy player who already shows questionable effort.

My biggest irk, from your original comment was how you blamed McGhee, when clearly this is a Club effort to get rid of Marvin...

...ive said for weeks, hes worth no more than £500k, but the Club are obviously going to go in much higher than that as a starting point, the fact that so many of our fans are daft enough to believe our own press, isnt the Clubs (or McGhees) fault.

We could change our business plan from effectively playing bargain hunt in the English non league system and selling players to clubs who already rejected them to something revolutionary like....

Making money from cup runs, bringing our own youths through and increasing attendances by playing decent football.

Sounds easy enough, That gets my vote. It's sheer stupidity to look for as many avenues as we can to generate profit and clear off our debts.

• Like 2

My biggest irk, from your original comment was how you blamed McGhee, when clearly this is a Club effort to get rid of Marvin...

...ive said for weeks, hes worth no more than £500k, but the Club are obviously going to go in much higher than that as a starting point, the fact that so many of our fans are daft enough to believe our own press, isnt the Clubs (or McGhees) fault.

I think "get rid of" sounds a bit harsh.

I also find it amusing that we give teams like Dundee Utd credit for talking up their players, but criticize our club when they do exactly the same thing.

It's almost as if fans will only be happy if we sell players for as little as possible - presumably so they can moan about how poor we are at selling players.

I'd be quite happy if we could sell one player for 2-300k every season. Anything more than that is a nice bonus.

• Like 1