2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

who were you expecting, non league players are the market we can afford, if he turns out to be as good an ivestment as Johnson or Moult then it will be another good bit of business.

The National League in England isn't the only place you can sign players from.

It'd be interesting to know how much this guy cost compared to how much Falkirk paid for Nathan Austin.

A striker that can run in behind. Certainly something we needed but we're still a little unbalanced in midfield. Having said that, Burrows hasn't ruled out looking at free agents.

Blyth described himself, as did McGhee, as a striker who could run in behind. Is Blyth already being discarded?

Judging by McGhee's comments on Belic, we've signed Belic as the replacement for Johnson (can play up top or out wide). Not sure why we've signed another striker unless Moult is more seriously injured than we thought or we've decided that Blyth isn't up to it.

If we're looking at free agents, midfield would be a priority...

Overall I'm not too displeased with the night's business. I don't feel in the least guilty that we didn't take Johnson's agent's advice and accept Oxford's first bid. Not impressed at all by his or his agent's behaviour. In any event he's now yesterday's man. I'm also puzzled by the number of complaints about the fee being undisclosed. This is not at all uncommon and could be down to several reasons and so I'm a bit disappointed that some posters are having a go at the club over this. There's no evidence to substantiate this. Yes it could be down to MFC but it could also be down to Oxford or indeed both clubs. It could also be down to the player's agent. Furthermore it could be down to accounting and legalities because of the complexity of the deal "with deals becoming increasingly complicated with extra clauses and incentives, and agents becoming more influential, undisclosed fees look set to continue" (Guardian 2013). Transfer fees are now generally paid over several years so thats yet another complication. Anyhow, I'd be disappointed if we didn't receive at least £500K for him, but we'll never know.

As regards the newcomers we don't know much about either. Belic seems able to play on the wing up front or in the middle so quite where he fits in remains to be seen. I know nothing about Bowman although at 6-2 tall he should be an all rounder with strength and pace according the Official website. Strange that we're going for another striker and it'll be interesting just how he fits in. Interesting too that we've been after him all summer.

• Like 1

Having had a quick look at Bowmans wiki page (never the best source I know), it looks to me like he's a proven striker at non league level but has twice failed to shine in league 2 with two separate clubs.

Obviously, each scenario must be taken into context, he was still young or 'up and coming' in a less than average Carlisle side and a play off semi York team. Either way, he dropped back into the conference after being at each of them.

That said, we've given him a golden opportunity with us and I truly hope that he grabs it with both hands. He's now a Motherwell player and I wish him and Belic well for the season ahead.

With regards big Marv, well, so far as I'm concerned, don't bang your big heid on the way out the door big man. Shame it ended the way it did and whether we fans like it or not, there wasn't a glut of teams rushing for his signature. Indeed, the club had little bargaining leverage other than brinkmanship.

He was never a £1m player and despite the English transfer market being mental, I'm confident in saying he never will be. Any one who is getting airiated about an undisclosed fee and blaming managers at the club for making the club look like mugs are doing so unnecessarily and with claret and amber tinted specs on. We've lost better and survived before. On this occasion, we turned a profit and as such, is a positive indication that the business plan is working.

League 1 is about Marvs level, and even then, he'll struggle for consistency.

None the less, I hope the move solves his personal problems

• Like 2