2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Really unsure of what all the fuss is about, we bought a guy last year for a bag of waashers, hoping he was an investment. He proves to be a good player albeit ridiculously inconsistent (for a 25yr old) and we get close to £500k for him plus add ons. He’s also burnt all bridges with us by putting in a transfer request (haven’t heard of that since the 1980s)

So really we’ve got shot of a guy who doesn’t want to play for us, for a good wedge….thanks for your occasional good game Marvin, all the best…..lets move on!!

• Like 8

And in the end all the talk ,bluster and bullshit made it happen. Looking at comments on here from the financial experts and panic merchants was amusing as well. Hindsights a great thing. Well done the club who had to do the deals with real money in the real world and it seem to have turned out well. Bring on the next game.

Really unsure of what all the fuss is about, we bought a guy last year for a bag of waashers, hoping he was an investment. He proves to be a good player albeit ridiculously inconsistent (for a 25yr old) and we get close to £500k for him plus add ons. Hes also burnt all bridges with us by putting in a transfer request (havent heard of that since the 1980s)

So really weve got shot of a guy who doesnt want to play for us, for a good wedge.thanks for your occasional good game Marvin, all the best..lets move on!!

Well said couldn't agree more

And in the end all the talk ,bluster and bullshit made it happen. Looking at comments on here from the financial experts and panic merchants was amusing as well. Hindsights a great thing. Well done the club who had to do the deals with real money in the real world and it seem to have turned out well. Bring on the next game.

Seconded.

• Like 1

For appearances sake it'd been nice if he'd been able to go to a club that wasn't Oxford but given they were the only team who seemed genuinely interested there's not a lot you can do. Also, it'd have a bit more palatable if he'd moved to a Championship side rather than League 1 but when it comes down to it the main thing is that Motherwell got their profit, that was the whole point of the exercise. Oxford's money is as good as anyone's and he didn't move to another side in Scotland which is a bonus. If the £650k being reported is legit then the club have made x20 their £30k outlay in the space of 18 months. Plus whatever add ons eventually kick in.

Only going on "reported" figures in the press (so pinch of salt etc) but being hopelessly optimistic if the fee for Johnson was the £650k quoted then along with the £200k for Hall, the compensation for Pearson (I seem to recall £100k being mentioned somewhere) plus McGhee suggesting there was compensation received for Robbie Leitch then totalled up that's the best part of £1m income from player trading in the window, which isn't bad going tbh.

Obviously an amount of that will go towards the repayments due to Les, Boyle and the WS but if there's scope to perhaps invest in +1 year extensions for Moult and Cadden (that'd take him up to 22 right?) then that could be a sensible move.

I know it's stating the obvious to say we can't play all our forwards at once but McGhee hss made enough comments about lacking options from the bench.

Moult and McDonald have both played in wide-ish positions in the past. In fact one of our big problems recently is that because our wide players weren't doing their job McDonald has been forced wide to pick up ball and then there is no one in the box.

You could possible accommodate Moult, McDonald and Bowman into a 4-3-2-1 formation and playing a bit narrower than we have done with Johnson and Ainsworth. Cadden has been our most effective player recently getting into those wide positions from midfield so it's not like the 'wingers' have been really contributing anyway.

Interesting to see what Bowman brings to table(apart from being Franck Ribery's Geordie twin) and it almost certainly means Blyth is finished at MFC already.

I have to say, I'm excited by the signing of Belic. He sounds like just what we needed in the final third.

McGhee seems to have said he's physically been signed off as fit by the doctors, it's in his head that the issue is.

The new Wes Fletcher?

Mind you does anyone know anything about Bowman? This is the way we are heading rather than finding players from our own lower leagues, we are looking at the English lower leagues, not sure if that is the way forward, as I am sure there will be some good Scottish players to be found in our lower leagues.

Is this news to you then?

When we played the Scottish cup final in 2011, we had only 3 scots in the starting 11. All but 2 of them (granted Lasley and Hamill amongst them) were acquired from English clubs.

The difference being now that there's even more money in the English game today than there was then.

There's also the simple matter of SFA youth development, club youth development or indeed the lack of youth development in our country.

I'd like to think (and there's evidence to suggest they are) that the club are working diligently towards putting more emphasis upon home grown talent. However, that's a long term strategy and even in full fruition, will never stop us entirely from recruiting from lower English leagues....not when there are talents like Johnson and Moult to turn a coin and do a job on the pitch.

Mixed feelings on the Johnson deal for me. If we got 650k or thereabouts it probably represents relatively decent business, given the fuss his agent kicked up. For me he is a guy with all the attributes to make it at a higher level, pace, strength, can create goals, can score them. On one hand he is incredibly inconsistent, yet on the other hand I struggle to think of a game since he has been here, where we've played well and he's not been central to it. I thought he was worth more to us than the figures quoted, but at least at 650k (if that is roughly the figure) we haven't been totally shafted and it marks a good return on our 30k investment.

I am glad that we seem to be continuing this model by signing Bowman. However, it does concern me that we now seem to have a plethora of strikers. I like McGhee, but I struggle to defend either the signing of Blyth or the loaning out of Moore when he has then decided he needs another two strikers. Hopefully at least one of them can play in wider areas. I am also annoyed at the fact we aren't keeping Lucas after him getting a slot on the bench for the last few weeks. I know he got 0 minutes and wasn't ever likely to play, but I think we could have benefited far more from young Campbell being in and around the first team squad instead.

I thought last season with Cadden and Hall we had maybe turned a corner in terms of his willingness to blood youngsters, but I am now having my doubts again.

Cadden and Hall both didnt emerge till roughly December sort of time last year and i think will be the same again this year with integrating some of the younger players, gives them a chance to train alongside the senior players, play well with the 20s then when the time is right fire them in. They will get their turn as far as i'm concerned.

Mixed feelings on the Johnson deal for me. If we got 650k or thereabouts it probably represents relatively decent business, given the fuss his agent kicked up. For me he is a guy with all the attributes to make it at a higher level, pace, strength, can create goals, can score them. On one hand he is incredibly inconsistent, yet on the other hand I struggle to think of a game since he has been here, where we've played well and he's not been central to it. I thought he was worth more to us than the figures quoted, but at least at 650k (if that is roughly the figure) we haven't been totally shafted and it marks a good return on our 30k investment.

I am glad that we seem to be continuing this model by signing Bowman. However, it does concern me that we now seem to have a plethora of strikers. I like McGhee, but I struggle to defend either the signing of Blyth or the loaning out of Moore when he has then decided he needs another two strikers. Hopefully at least one of them can play in wider areas. I am also annoyed at the fact we aren't keeping Lucas after him getting a slot on the bench for the last few weeks. I know he got 0 minutes and wasn't ever likely to play, but I think we could have benefited far more from young Campbell being in and around the first team squad instead.

I thought last season with Cadden and Hall we had maybe turned a corner in terms of his willingness to blood youngsters, but I am now having my doubts again.

Not disagreeing however I've noticed that Moore's yet to play a game for Ayr this season. Is he injured again? With Blyth's injury, Moult coming back from injury and if Moore is indeed injured again then I can understand why he's added another striker. Though I agree in so much as I do have doubts as to whether or not Blyth was ever a particularly good fit in the first place.

To be honest the only downside to the window for me was that we didn't have more of the 20s go out on loan. Looking at what's likely to be the first team XI and bench it's difficult to see where there's likely to be room for a Campbell, Mackin, Turnbull or MacLean to get a shot. Unless one of Chalmers or Kennedy is going to sit in the stand of a week then Dom Thomas' chances are probably going to be limited.

Realistically in the 433 McGhee's talking about you'd think it'd be:

Samson; Tait, Heneghan, McManus, Hammell; Cadden, McHugh, Clay; McDonald, Bowman, Moult

Subs: Blyth, Brill, Ainsworth, Lasley, Kennedy, Chalmers, Belic

There's no doubt that looks a much stronger bench than the inexperienced one McGhee was alluding to post-Rangers and Dundee but he's pointed out the benefit Cadden had from his loan and also how he hopes it'll improve Watt I'd say the same could be applied to a few of the others in the 20s group. Having said that you need the right club to want to take them, I've no idea whether or not clubs were approached about the aforementioned but I'd have thought there might have been at least a couple willing to take one or two beyond Watt on for six months.

Cant just have a squad of 18 year olds and 35 year olds. Through years of poor signings and bad contract management we have been left with a squad of kids and players approaching (or well into) their twilight years.

Ainsworth and Tait are the only players in the the mid /

late 20s which some consider to be peak years for players.

I think its been quite clear that we've signed additional players in their early 20's to help bridge the gap and to hopefully have decent sell on value.

The next batch of kids will get a chance.

What exactly is Blyths issue? He's not injured anymore (according to people on here) so is he just refusing to train or have we just realised we have signed a shite player and told him he has no chance?

I've no idea re: his performance in training etc. Others are far more more #ITK than I am. McGhee's said he's got the all clear injury-wise and I took the comment about sorting his head as a joke but giving Blyth the benefit of the doubt from what I've seen of him at other clubs via YouTube clips (rather than him being chucked on, unfit with 15 mins to go in a couple of games) and he seems to be more of a target man than anything else. Looking at his history, save one stint at Leamington which got him his move to Leicester, he's never been a particularly prolific goalscorer. Going back to last January where McGhee was talking about the lack of a physical presence up front, Blyth seems to have been brought in to address that however I don't necessarily think it fits with a fluid 433, more an "option" off the bench if we need to change things up.

For all people are pointing to Bowman being 6' 2" from the clips you can find online and looking at his goals record he seems to be much more a traditional centre forward. From the looks of things he seems to be someone who's more in the mould of Moult. Possibly to play alongside him or equally someone who can chip in with goals and take a bit of the burden off in that respect. Given the injury Moult's rehabbing from it's probably not a bad idea if we have an approximate like for like option for him to come off the bench. That's not Blyth, it's not McDonald nor is it McFadden.

Blyth's signing is quite strange. Rumour mill is that he can barely score in training and he looks to have the mobility of a traffic cone. He, Kennedy (very thin) and Josh Law (thought he was at Oldham or am I blind?) looked particularly miserable on Saturday. Mind you, so was I.

Is it ok to register mild enthusiasm for Bilic?

Not bothered about Johnston's departure: too inconsistent and his comments show he was not very respectful to the club. His bull in a china shop runs were OK for lesser teams but crossing and passing very average.

Last chance for Ainsworth, though. Least he can shoot.

We need options off the bench up front, and if we are playing 3 strikers. Then ideally we need 4 or 5 in total I would think....now we have them in Moult, Bowman, Skippy, Blyth and Mackin. Seems fine to me given the 'new' formation McGhee is talking about.

By all accounts Belic is a striker as well. Any footage you watch he's one of the forwards.