2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Maybe we would have finished 2nd in 2011/12 if he was fully committed. Maybe he would have lifted a trophy if he had been a bit fitter. Maybe he would have tackled Considine up at Pittodrie rather than jog away from him.

The guy was fat his entire time here then a few months later was slimmed down in Holland. He just couldn't be arsed getting fit when he was here.

Still trying to dig out of that hole, eh?

Interesting that Mark McGhee says that we were trying to sell Johnson since last Christmas, but only on our terms, which were eventually met. Marvin apparently "stamped his feet at the wrong time".

I thought it was fairly obvious that we had been talking Johnson up with a view to selling him. Was McGhee not "amazed & astonished" that no one had come in for him at the end of the January window. Key part there to me is that "trying to sell" him doesn't necessarily mean shoving him out the door but rather talking the player up and positioning him as a sellable asset with value. It's all about groundwork.

The part I picked up on, in what was a good press conference from McGhee, was that we were apparently "on the case" and "would have sold him anyway" (or words to that effect). I wonder if there were other options who were eventually put off by Johnson chucking his toys out the pram.

Pick up 2 players for £50k each a season and punt them on for 500k a pop after 18 months seems a decent strategy going forward.

The issue is when you try to do that with free agents the pickings are slimmer and the odds longer in turning them into something attractive.

Let's not ignore that a few other teams have seen our cross border raids of the conference and the sidestep that allowed us to get Chris Humphrey without having to pay a development fee with envious interest.

I hope Blyth, Bowman etc. have been sourced using this much vaunted Billy Beene software that finds hidden gems.

Oh and do a Dundee Utd and get Cadden signed up on a 6 year deal.

I hope Blyth, Bowman etc. have been sourced using this much vaunted Billy Beene software that finds hidden gems.

Funny you say that as Bowman had retweeted a post on his Twitter account a while back. Basically the gist was that at the time he had (by an absolute mile) the best conversion rate in the league. While Amond of Grimsby had scored the most goals he'd needed more chances to do so. In Bowman's case he had scored 16 from 46 attempts at goal, 27 of which were on target. The table is here: https://twitter.com/kingoftherooks/status/724980031617912832

For what it's worth Amond had scored 30 from 91 attempts.

I've no idea whether Bowman will make the step up or not or if we're applying sabremetric analysis to our scouting but his record seems to point to him being an efficient goalscorer.

Even with investors who wiped out their bank loans and gave them a good deal on their debt, United ended up skint and relegated. I'm much happier with our current model.

Can't get the link to transfer into here but if you type "Milton Financial Report Dundee United" into Google you should find a detailed report on the "good deal". Fair bit of reading but the gist is -

Ongoing repayment of outstanding Bank Loans was causing cash flow problems, increasing debt resulting in higher interest costs and the prospect of excessive large capital repayments in the near future. A real danger of a financial collapse. Just over £2m was provided by a group of anonymous investors (Thomson refuses to name them) and this was used to repay the Banks and ease the pressure. But two worrying aspects for United fans.

1. The interest rate charged by the investors was 6% which was double what the Bank was charging.

2. The new loan arrangement included a period of time when no capital repayments were due and so did provide breathing space. However, Thomson used that time to sell players and use the cash raised to repay all Loans which had been provided by family members. In particular his mother and sister who very shortly thereafter resigned as a Director. These loans were not scheduled to be repaid and had been provided at 0% interest. Nothing illegal apparently as the payments were agreed at a Board Meeting . But not really in the best interests of the Club long term as it would have been better financially to repay the high interest loans, where repayment is also required at set dates, before the free undated family loans.

The end result?

Family Loans which were costing the Club nothing, and were not due to be repaid, repaid in full.

Bank debt repaid but new loans to the value of £2m established with unnamed lenders at double the Interest rate, therefore costlier in the long run.

On a football front, top players sold and relegation.

United fans in uproar as they fear Thomson planning to pull the plug and walk away unscathed having also safeguarded family members. Seeking details of Investors and future plans but requests completely ignored.

Seems to me that Motherwell's game plan re buying low selling high is much preferable to the so called good deal Thomson arranged for United. All we need is the time and a few more Marvs to make it work.

Sorry to waffle on in such detail but it just shows we are perhaps better off than we think at times. And it is to do with transfer strategy.....kind of

• Like 2

For the record my 6 year deal comment was tongue in cheek, harking back to the McLean era where it was a running joke/fact.

I think you'd find few agents willing to accept a 6 year deal unless the player was chronic and the agent recognised it but the club didn't/hadn't.

I know. While you may have exaggerated the details the principle was correct though. A club will rarely make big time cash simply by bringing on good youth players. It has to put them on long deals, not 6 years of course.

For the record my 6 year deal comment was tongue in cheek, harking back to the McLean era where it was a running joke/fact.

I think you'd find few agents willing to accept a 6 year deal unless the player was chronic and the agent recognised it but the club didn't/hadn't.

Just out of curiosity, is there not FIFA rules on the time periods of contracts that can be dished out depending on age?

Only one shiftyer looking guy than Thomson at Utd that was Craig White at rangers. He is setting it all up so he can walk away from the sinking ship. His father will be turning in his grave. The guys a fud.

Presumably mcghee saw enough in Blyth to think that he would be a good additon to the team, hence the contract offer. He has not had much game time so i am assuming he is injured so in all honesty until we have seen him play on a more regular basis he cant really be judged based on his brief appearances so far.

Why let logic get in the way. Just take an irrational dislike or instant love for him based on no facts whatsoever like some on here. Stop sitting on the fence lol

Why let logic get in the way. Just take an irrational dislike or instant love for him based on no facts whatsoever like some on here. Stop sitting on the fence lol

Some people have taken an irrational dislike to Blyth based on nothing but a couple of rumours. However the question has to be asked why we've signed a second player in Bowman who in his initial interview described his own style of play exactly the same way that Blyth did on arrival. It does lend itself to people asking the question of why McGhee felt the need to sign Bowman if Blyth is looking the part...

Some people have taken an irrational dislike to Blyth based on nothing but a couple of rumours. However the question has to be asked why we've signed a second player in Bowman who in his initial interview described his own style of play exactly the same way that Blyth did on arrival. It does lend itself to people asking the question of why McGhee felt the need to sign Bowman if Blyth is looking the part...

Don't confuse 'dislike' with 'dont rate'

In his limited gametime I think he is a just a big lump and not good enough for this level. My opinion.