2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

I've said it before but even if Motherwell offer Craig Moore another deal he should move on. Just had a great season with Ayr United and he'll find a team and a first team spot easily in the Championship.

If he is good enough to play at the top level he will eventually gravitate back up to the top league. No point sitting on a bench while your career passes you by for another year.

If you haven't broken into the first team by the age of 20, 21 I think you need to move on. Hall and Cadden have done it. Moore hasn't. Good luck to the lad but I think it would be a waste of talent if he was kicking his heels for another 10 months.

• Like 1

Moore did break in to the team at a young age before a horrific injury. If he's fully recovered from that, then he will have a future at Motherwell.

Given that his striking buddy ended up at Leeds, I hope he gets a chance with us again.

He was never a regular and its unlikely he's going to displace Moult/McDonald and then there is Fletcher and if the rumours are anything to go by we are looking at other strikers to bring in.

Players his age need to be playing football. I don't have anything against him being part of the squad next season, I'm thinking more of his own development.

Moore did break in to the team at a young age before a horrific injury. If he's fully recovered from that, then he will have a future at Motherwell.

Given that his striking buddy ended up at Leeds, I hope he gets a chance with us again.

And Jack Leitch doesn't merit similar chance?

And Jack Leitch doesn't merit similar chance?

I would give Leitch and Moore deals. There's a place for squad players and is Leitch is any worse than Gomis as backup? Could Moore not have contributed as much as Robinson and Clarkson? I don't imagine they're going to be asking for the earth in wages...

Personally if I was going to offer one of Moore, Mackin and Fletcher it would be Moore. Mackin does not look like a player to me and I have seen him quite a bit. Could be proven wrong and happy to be on that.

Room for 1 more forward signing and go with 4 strikers in the first team squad.

Personally if I was going to offer one of Moore, Mackin and Fletcher it would be Moore. Mackin does not look like a player to me and I have seen him quite a bit. Could be proven wrong and happy to be on that.

Room for 1 more forward signing and go with 4 strikers in the first team squad.

On that one I'm reminded of McGhee's answer when posed the question about players breaking through at that Q&A at the end of last year. His reply was along the lines of he's not a 20 goal a season striker yet....but he's not as far away from it as you might think. So based on that he appears to be rated by McGhee at least.

If we secure the services of McDonald for next season and manage to retain Moult then that should be our first choice forward line going into the new campaign.

However, this idea that a player such as Moore is done if he can't break into the first team and be a regular is a bit off in my opinion. Why get rid of Moore only to go out and sign someone else to play backup to our starting players? Isn't the idea supposed to be that our young guys are given a chance? That chance is surely a progression from being on loan to challenging for a first-team spot and operating from the bench, getting game time whenever possible?

Moore seems to have impressed at Ayr, so why not offer him a new deal (if he wants to stay, of course) and let him play backup to our current partnership and try to break into the side? If both him and Fletcher are happy to recommit to the club this summer then I'd keep them on.

Clarky is likely on his way, so that would leave us with four strikers competing for two slots, which seems reasonable to me.

We need to stop getting to the end of the season and looking to sign players when we have guys in our current set-up who can do the job. Unless someone is considered a player who can either come right into the first team or someone of immense potential, or if it's a position we're currently light on then we don't need them.

• Like 1

I'd suggest that the fact Fletcher's out of contract yet hasn't made the bench in the past couple of games suggests he won't be getting his option taken up. In fairness to him he looked a decent player but the injury in the United game (and subsequent injuries) has pretty much written off his season. He played 130 mins of football then missed the next 7 games.

The fact that he's been kept out the team by two players who have scored 30+ goals between them this season hasn't done him any favours either. Similarly with *touch wood* both Moult and McDonald having had largely injury free seasons that has really limited his opportunities too.

He's 25 and you'd think would want to be a first choice striker, he's started 5 games for us this season. I don't think you can reasonably make any sort of judgement on him as a player based on that other than to say it just hasn't worked out for him.

Beyond that I wouldn't be surprised to see Mackin getting an extension but being out on another development loan next year. I think Craigan touched on him having benefitted physically from having been at Airdrie the past few months when he was interviewed the other night.

The fact that Moore was essentially asked to go and show what he can do and has ended up with Ayr's young player of the year and a goal every other game would suggest he's done his bit and is more than worth us offering a deal however for me it's a question of whether he'd be better off moving on and getting a starting position with a team in the Championship since assuming we keep hold of McDonald, Moult and Johnson then it's difficult to see that being anything other than our first choice front 3 next season.

The fact that Moore was essentially asked to go and show what he can do and has ended up with Ayr's young player of the year and a goal every other game would suggest he's done his bit and is more than worth us offering a deal however for me it's a question of whether he'd be better off moving on and getting a starting position with a team in the Championship since assuming we keep hold of McDonald, Moult and Johnson then it's difficult to see that being anything other than our first choice front 3 next season.

And what happens in case of injury or suspension? It's a long season. Wouldn't it be good to have a young player who's just won a young player of the year award and has scored a goal every other game with Ayr ready and willing to step in and do a job?

We need a squad of players for the coming season, not just a starting eleven.

And what happens in case of injury or suspension? It's a long season. Wouldn't it be good to have a young player who's just won a young player of the year award and has scored a goal every other game with Ayr ready and willing to step in and do a job?

We need a squad of players for the coming season, not just a starting eleven.

That's the question for Moore though isn't it? Whether he's happy to stick around and sit on the bench maybe getting 20 mins or the occasional start and wait to see if someone dips in form or picks up a knock or whether it's better for him to look for a move somewhere that he knows he's going to be a first pick every week. I'd be more than happy for him to stick around but equally I don't think you could argue if he opted to drop a level and be guaranteed first team starts.

Personally I'm of the view that he's categorically done what was asked of him at Ayr so it's fair enough if we offer him a new deal.

I don't expect much to movement in the way this summer.

I expect Samson to be number one. We may sign a back up keeper if McGhee doesn't have faith in Long to be number 2, which is quite possible.

If Hammell, McManus and Hall sign new deals we are more than adequately covered in defence.

As much as I think Lasley will sign a new deal, I think we will sign a central midfielder to be first choice alongside Pearson, given Lasley's age. With Cadden also there and Campbell emerging I think that leaves us covered there. Wide positions we have Ainsworth, Cadden, Johnson and Thomas with the possibility of MacLean emerging, so I'd say we're covered there too.

I personally wouldn't be that against us looking at a striker for cover, but also think it's plausible if Moore has been offered a new deal that the four will be McDonald, Moult, Mackin and Moore.

The only two with beneficial sell on value in the squad just now for me are potentially Moult and Johnson, if we sell either, we will possibly try and replace them.

So, all in all, a central midfielder and a backup goalkeeper are the most likely to arrive by my reckoning.

• Like 3

That's the question for Moore though isn't it? Whether he's happy to stick around and sit on the bench maybe getting 20 mins or the occasional start and wait to see if someone dips in form or picks up a knock or whether it's better for him to look for a move somewhere that he knows he's going to be a first pick every week. I'd be more than happy for him to stick around but equally I don't think you could argue if he opted to drop a level and be guaranteed first team starts.

Personally I'm of the view that he's categorically done what was asked of him at Ayr so it's fair enough if we offer him a new deal.

Yeah, if Moore wants to leave then that changes the entire dynamic of the point I was making, but the main crux of my argument is that just because he's not going to displace McDonald or Moult at the moment doesn't mean he should be let go.

We need around 4 strikers for the 2 slots available, with the other 2 playing as & when required.

Not to mention, there'll come a time when both McDonald and Moult are no longer at the club, and hopefully someone like Moore will be ready to make the step up by that point.

I don't expect much to movement in the way this summer.

I expect Samson to be number one. We may sign a back up keeper if McGhee doesn't have faith in Long to be number 2, which is quite possible.

If Hammell, McManus and Hall sign new deals we are more than adequately covered in defence.

As much as I think Lasley will sign a new deal, I think we will sign a central midfielder to be first choice alongside Pearson, given Lasley's age. With Cadden also there and Campbell emerging I think that leaves us covered there. Wide positions we have Ainsworth, Cadden, Johnson and Thomas with the possibility of MacLean emerging, so I'd say we're covered there too.

I personally wouldn't be that against us looking at a striker for cover, but also think it's plausible if Moore has been offered a new deal that the four will be McDonald, Moult, Mackin and Moore.

The only two with beneficial sell on value in the squad just now for me are potentially Moult and Johnson, if we sell either, we will possibly try and replace them.

So, all in all, a central midfielder and a backup goalkeeper are the most likely to arrive by my reckoning.

I'd agree with that. I'd be surprised if we went into the season with Long as back-up. No harm to him, you don't expect goalkeepers to be ready at 19 unless they're a phenom, really. I think we'd have been pretty clear in our intentions regarding Samson if he wasn't going to be here next year, so I'd anticipate he will be.

Nice that we're going in to a close season without a whole team disappearing and starting again.

Agree with much of whats been written so far. I reckon we'll go for a goalkeeper, either back up or first choice depending on Samson's position; a defensive central midfielder and a striker. Interesting too to see which of the young lads get promoted.

Having read a couple of interviews re: Samson I'm still not quite sure what to make of the situation. The whole deal has been weird since it was announced. On one hand you've McGhee saying that they'll speak to him and let him know "he's wanted at the club" and that he'll get another game before the season's done on the other you've got Samson himself suggesting along the lines of he's only interested in sticking around if he's first choice, which is fair enough and totally understandable.

The flip of it for me is that Ripley could have gone back to Boro in January as his deal was up and Samson was already here. Samson has indicated himself that that would have been the "ideal scenario" but as it was we actively sought to extend Ripley's loan and release Twardzik. You'd think that would suggest that Ripley was/is viewed as a better option so maybe it's just me but I'd say at the very least it raises something of a doubt over Samson.

Edit: Onthefringes there with a much more succinct post.