2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

McGhee must be thinking two holding midfielders with McDonald playing in the hole behind Moult and two wingers this season.

If we ever line up Lasley, Chalmers and McHugh as a midfield three it will rival the Lawson, Leitch, Carswell trio that got hammered by Accies as the slowest midfield ever to start a game.

McGhee must be thinking two holding midfielders with McDonald playing in the hole behind Moult and two wingers this season.

If we ever line up Lasley, Chalmers and McHugh as a midfield three it will rival the Lawson, Leitch, Carswell trio that got hammered by Accies as the slowest midfield ever to start a game.

Lasley Chalmers and Clay tonight might match that.

You might be right. Otherwise I'm struggling to understand the addition of Clay and the possible further addition of Lucas.

Fear we are really weak in a couple of positions, ultimately lacking pace and power at fullback and in midfield.

Obviously it's early doors, but I get the distinct impression that the majority of our new signings will turn out to be nothing more than average at best, with most of them eventually moving on without making much of an impression here. A bit like last season.

I've said it before, but I thought we were supposed to be concentrating on bringing through players we've developed or lads that we've signed at a young age?

Of the guys we've brought in I can understand the signing of a 22 year old in Ben Heneghan & Carl McHugh who seems like a good young prospect, but the likes of Tait, Clay and Blyth seem like signings who aren't really making much sense.

Is Blyth really that much better than Craig Moore? When we send young players away on loan we always hear about how it's to give them game time and allow them to prove themselves, don't we? Didn't Moore play something like 25 games and score 14 goals or something for Ayr? What more can the guy do to prove himself? He goes away and plays regularly whilst scoring goals and gets sent on loan again?

I'd rather we employed a system where rather than bringing in guys in their mid 20's and older from the lower leagues of England we instead concentrated on bringing in one or two really good prospects who the manager deems first-team ready, and also concentrate on picking up exciting young prospects in their early & mid-teens that we can put into the youth system for a few years before drafting them into the senior side.

This policy of signing the players we have this summer and last season isn't going to work in the long term I don't think.

Unlike Man Utd, we'll never win anything with young players. Reality is that it has to be a blend of youth , experience, and "steady Eddies" to keep us on an even keel.

While we can unearth a few diamonds in the rough to boost finances, we still need to be able to stay in the top flight.

And one final cliché, we can't polish turds, but rolling a few in glitter might just be the way forward.

We've seen Blyth for about an hour if that so can't make decision on him until he's fit and playing Tait has been impressive though howling last night and Clay will give him time it's early days wait till end of September then decide on signings as far too early IMO to write some of them off

Heneghan is the only one I'm confident about just now but I do like the look of McHugh, we just need him on the pitch more often.

Tait has looked chronically slow since his debut but that doesn't mean he can't be a good right back. He'll maybe need a few months to adjust to the pace of our game. For Motherwell to offer him a 3 year deal, we must rate him pretty highly.

Reading the Grimsby forums, the general consensus is that Clay is a good pro but him getting a 2 year deal in the premiership is indicative to them of how far Scottish football has fallen. Worth bearing in mind that Grimsby didn't offer him a contract after playing 70+ games, I hope he isn't deemed as Pearson's replacement.

Blyth we'll need to wait and see. Few intriguing comments to date from McGhee.

Unlike Man Utd, we'll never win anything with young players. Reality is that it has to be a blend of youth , experience, and "steady Eddies" to keep us on an even keel.

While we can unearth a few diamonds in the rough to boost finances, we still need to be able to stay in the top flight.

And one final cliché, we can't polish turds, but rolling a few in glitter might just be the way forward.

If we're honest we'll never win anything with our current approach anyway, so what difference does it make?

I think we should be investing what little money we have in bringing in one or two young players who look like good prospects rather than a scattergun approach of sorts, where we're signing guys who are over 25 and have bounced around numerous clubs over the years.

We've seen Blyth for about an hour if that so can't make decision on him until he's fit and playing Tait has been impressive though howling last night and Clay will give him time it's early days wait till end of September then decide on signings as far too early IMO to write some of them off

Aye, definitely. I could be very wrong on my assessment, and I did say it was early doors, but I just don't think this current system is going to work.

What I cannot understand is we got rid of Fletcher (IMO never got a chance) I presume due to being injury prone and his replacement Blyth appears not to be any better.

Unfair to judge Blyth on his record so far...he's hardly played. Once he's had some game time under his belt we can then assess him. Certainly a very different kind of player to Fletcher. There's no point in blooding a whole raft of youngsters now and end up getting relegated. That would be catastrophic. We need a blend of experience and youth; skill and stability/soundness.

Then let's hope that the signings we've made don't go the same way as those from last season for the most part. We need to be looking for quality and sell-on potential as a priority, with our own youth players filling the gaps, with a few experienced heads (we're not lacking in those for sure!) thrown in as well.