2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

McGhee benoaning the lack of options on bench today. Doesn't bode well for Lucas.

I thought that as well. He said good things about him in the pre-game interview during the week but that's 3 games in a row he's been an unused sub now and been on "trial" for the best part of 2 months. Begs the question if he's not viewed a viable option to come off the bench at 1-1 vs St Johnstone or The Rangers then is there much point in him being there? Especially when you're subbing midfielders.

Signing clay was a massive mistake that McGhee won't admit making. Our centre midfield pairing of clay and Lasley is arguably the worst in the league

Why was it a massive mistake ?

People on here need to realise we are singing the players we can afford ! There will be some mistakes, but far too early to slate Clay. I was not at the game, but McGhee thought he had a very decent game. I actually thought he came on to a game v St Johnstone

Let's give some players more than 4 seconds before condemning them as sh1te

People on here need to realise we are singing the players we can afford ! There will be some mistakes, but far too early to slate Clay. I was not at the game, but McGhee thought he had a very decent game. I actually thought he came on to a game v St Johnstone

Couldn't agree more

Clay may end up being a relatively solid acquisition. However, when you sell Pearson who is one of the most influential midfielders in the league, we should have had a better replacement lined up. A replacement that complimented Lasley and McHugh.

Find it hard to believe Clay was in our original thinking.

The signing of clay was not necessarily a mistake because he's a bad player but more to do with it was the last type of player we needed. Attacking midfielder my arse - Motherwells fc propaganda machine in full effect!

Yeah, Clay was good yesterday, a few loose passes and/or wrong options sometimes, but that's to be expected.

He ran himself into the ground and was visibly knackered.

Even at that, I was a bit reticent to sub him off as he was fulfilling his role and disrupting that may have led to concession of a late goal.

Just to put a few posters' minds at rest - Mark McGhee said that 3 of our Under 20 Cup winning side moved on - Leitch, Hall and Long with the first two generating fees.

What we should be looking for though Dave is bringing players through, get a couple of good seasons out of them and then sell them on for a decent transfer fee. Not bring players through who are offski for a token fee as soon as they can.

What we should be looking for though Dave is bringing players through, get a couple of good seasons out of them and then sell them on for a decent transfer fee. Not bring players through who are offski for a token fee as soon as they can.

At least we're bringing fees in. And invariably when we sell players after a couple of seasons (or more, we don't get that much more. Thinking of Reynolds and Murphy...
  • Like 1

Just to put a few posters' minds at rest - Mark McGhee said that 3 of our Under 20 Cup winning side moved on - Leitch, Hall and Long with the first two generating fees.

That's good news about Leitch given the speculation as to whether we did/didn't offer the contract in time and Burnley reporting it as a free transfer (as Leeds did with Erwin tbf).

I agree Jim but this is where financial clout comes in. Clubs like Dundee United and Hibs have traditionally offered such youngsters very lucrative salaries and deals to retain them, whereas we couldn't afford to do likewise. That said even Hibs couldn't compete with Burnley. If youngsters are offered a deal with a largish English club they'll be offski.