2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Always think we missued out by not signing Macdonald when he went to Falkirk then Kilmarnock. He's a quality keeper.

Not seen much of Killie this year but the he's always looked a stand out in the highlights I've caught.

However, I just watched him in the 1st leg of the play off and deary me, he was dreadful!!

Not seen much of Killie this year but the he's always looked a stand out in the highlights I've caught.

However, I just watched him in the 1st leg of the play off and deary me, he was dreadful!!

After his howler in the Cup Final I jokingly posted on here that maybe we didn't want him after all. He is a quality keeper though, even with the occasional mistake. No doubt Killie offered him more money than we would have.

From Scott Mullen (herald) on Twitter - "Motherwell update for fans. Club are getting closer to re-signing three players out of contract. Expecting to seal deals next week"

Then goes on to say it is a mix of u20s and senior. I am sure hammel and lasley will be two of them.

From Scott Mullen (herald) on Twitter - "Motherwell update for fans. Club are getting closer to re-signing three players out of contract. Expecting to seal deals next week"

Then goes on to say it is a mix of u20s and senior. I am sure hammel and lasley will be two of them.

Rumours afoot that there's major difference between what's on offer and what hammell would consider acceptable

Would be sad to see Hammell go, had his injuries lately but at 34 still a top left back IMO

Without being disrespectful to our pros, I can't imagine another SPFL or higher level club being ready and waiting to deal for any of our old guard.

Without being disrespectful to our pros, I can't imagine another SPFL or higher level club being ready and waiting to deal for any of our old guard.

Agreed, but any interested club would also need to offer higher wages and/or a longer deal.

Agreed, but any interested club would also need to offer higher wages and/or a longer deal.

I think with his age Lasley would struggle which is why I think he will likely sign up.

But I could see McManus or Hammell getting a deal with Thistle...Killie/Falkirk....St Johnstone perhaps. If they can pay more than us on a 2 year deal which could be their last contract then they might think it the best move.

I know it was just an example but I doubt Thistle would be looking for a left back given Callum Booth just signed a contract extension and was generally viewed as one of their best players. They have however just released Seabourne and looks like Frans is on his way out so they may be in the market for a centre half.

If we fail to sign any of the older players, it simply brings forward to now the inevitable moment when we have to find a replacement. At least it will free up their wages in order to do so.

That's my view on it

I would like to keep the majority of them but if not then so be it and we move on.

• Like 2

A wise man once told me your modern footballer is essentially a mercenary, following the cash rather than having any affinity to a club. Don't be fooled, 99% of them follow that rule and if they don't, their agents drum it in and make it very clear.

The Lasley's and Hammell's of this world aren't and deserve a little bit more leeway, however not a huge amount.

Similar to Superward, if they move on ... thanks guys, all the best.

But I genuinely expect we'd be able to find adequate replacements, only issue is gelling sufficiently with the rest of the team by August.

• Like 1

In Hammell we've had one of the best Scottish left backs in the modern era. When you look at who has been capped by Scotland under Vogts onwards, you wonder why he didn't play more for the country.

Saying that, last season injuries caught up with him and although there is merit in offering him a one year deal, but him and Lasley are past their best.

Lasley is done i would not even be offering him another year,we need to replace him and build for the future.As for Hammel if he stays fit he may have another season possibly 2 in him so it would make sense to offer him another deal

• Like 1

In Hammell we've had one of the best Scottish left backs in the modern era. When you look at who has been capped by Scotland under Vogts onwards, you wonder why he didn't play more for the country.

Saying that, last season injuries caught up with him and although there is merit in offering him a one year deal, but him and Lasley are past their best.

One of the best? Surely you jest? His touch, yes, can be genius at times, the odd telling through ball & brings a balance to the side, but, his primary role is to defend & that's where his game is lacking & now injuries have caught up with him.

The Scotland chat is a red herring given the shoehorning of mould firm right backs into the left back berth as history suggests - I still doubt he could have disposed of any.

One of the best? Surely you jest? His touch, yes, can be genius at times, the odd telling through ball & brings a balance to the side, but, his primary role is to defend & that's where his game is lacking & now injuries have caught up with him.

The Scotland chat is a red herring given the shoehorning of mould firm right backs into the left back berth as history suggests - I still doubt he could have disposed of any.

Clearly a fluke to have managed to play 500 first team games

And to have been a stick on 7/10 or better almost every week

And to have a quality left peg

And to have won a percentage of headers that is vastly higher than anyone of his height has any right to win

And to have a composure under pressure not often seen

Perfect? No

A merited addition to the pantheon of legendary custodians of the number 3 jersey? Yes

To deny that is simply a churlish rewriting of history

Worth another year ? Absolutely

• Like 12

His touch, yes, can be genius at times, the odd telling through ball & brings a balance to the side, but, his primary role is to defend & that's where his game is lacking & now injuries have caught up with him.

I can't take issue with that. Stevie has never been the best defender and last season his mistakes were becoming more frequent and costly. As I've always said, good on the ball poor off it.

• Like 1

For those looking for midfield replacements I noticed today that Andrea Mbuyi-Mutombo is out of contract at Inverness.

Naw, no chance .It would cost more than the shirt to get his name printed on it.

Mutoumbo is shite. Ive a lot of Caley supporting mates and they said the game up there a month ago was prob his best game of the season but summed him up perfectly, lots of nice touches and runs but absolutely nothing for end product! Apparently his usual game is to run around and flick the ball as much as he did against us but give it to the opposition a lot more