2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Sounds like we might see some big changes if all those in the know are right.

I could live with losing Ainsworth and Law.

Hammell I am 50/50 but that's because we have no one to step right in (I don't count Chalmers. Fear).

Lasley I would like to see around for another year.

McManus and McDonald I would really like to keep. For their faults we would be pressed to find others with similar experience who can play nearly every game in the season.

For those with info how are the other contract offers looking?

Hammell and Lasley is particular have done more then enough for Motherwell to warrant being treated with well. They are modern day legends and it would be really sad I think if they left under these circumstances.

as much as they are modern day legends the club doesn't owe anyone a living especially as were totally skint.i highly doubt even with taking a cut in wages that hammell and lasley would get offered more money elsewhere giving there age and it would most likely be teams of a similar size too us that would sign them.

• Like 2

Sounds like we might see some big changes if all those in the know are right.

I could live with losing Ainsworth and Law.

Hammell I am 50/50 but that's because we have no one to step right in (I don't count Chalmers. Fear).

Lasley I would like to see around for another year.

McManus and McDonald I would really like to keep. For their faults we would be pressed to find others with similar experience who can play nearly every game in the season.

For those with info how are the other contract offers looking?

It's maybe wishful thinking on my part but if we're looking at moving Ainsworth and Law on then given he's never really seemed a particularly good fit under McGhee I wouldn't be surprised if Chalmers was in a similar boat as them. Unless of course his wage is such that it makes no real difference whether he stays on for a year or goes.

I think I said earlier in this thread but it's a step in the right direction if we're able to trim players from the squad rather than simply accept they're under contract and let the deal wind down.

Agree on McManus & McDonald though. Those are the 2 priorities for me. I'd be happy enough for Hammell and Lasley to stay on as they both clearly have something to offer but at the same time a broader freshening of the squad would be welcome and I dare say could be achieved if players like Ainsworth, Law and a few other fringe players move on.

• Like 1

I can see both sides of any argument with Hammell and Lasley.

Rumour has it that they both turned down pay rises with Hibs in 2012, to take pay cuts with us. I don't know if when they both signed new deals in 2014 it was a cut again, but being asked to take a 30% cut, if those figures are true, may seem like a slap in the face, with them having turned down more money previously.

However, on the flip side, you could argue both are being offered less money, partly due to budget constraints and partly due to their diminishing influence on the team. I thought we were daft giving Lasley a two year deal in 2014, thinking with him spending the last season being 36 it might not be wise, but fair play to him, he did prove to be an effective last season. But his wage probably reflects that of a first pick. Do we really want to go into a season with a first pick aged 37?

Same with Hammell, his new deal in 2014 would have been on first pick wages. Since then he's had a season where he played eight league games and one where he was out from August till November. I love Hammell but you have to be sensible and not give him a wage where you're ploughing your faith into him playing 40 games next season.

Both would have to concede their influence is less than it was when they signed their previous deals, granted, but both will probably argue not 30% less. I guess I'm on the fence with this one.

Hammell and Lasley is particular have done more then enough for Motherwell to warrant being treated with well. They are modern day legends and it would be really sad I think if they left under these circumstances.

Almost as sad as when they both left for nothing to earn themselves a few quid down South ?

The ups and downs of the financial side of being a footballer , theyve done alright for themselves and Motherwell have played a part in that and are even now helping them try their hand at forging a coaching career

• Like 2

Almost as sad as when they both left for nothing to earn themselves a few quid down South ?

The ups and downs of the financial side of being a footballer , theyve done alright for themselves and Motherwell have played a part in that and are even now helping them try their hand at forging a coaching career

I hear you. Nothing lasts forever I suppose.

Law moving on would be welcome news given how tight the budget is.

I would be sad to see Hammell and/or Lasley leave in such fashion with no farewell at the end of the season. However I can fully understand them not being happy if the offers are as derisory as the tone suggests.

Agree about Josh Law.

Who is to say that the offers are derisory? I have no idea what Hammell & Lasley have been offered but for many the prospect of earning even say £600 pw is a mere pipedream. I suspect their offers are far from derisory and all too often we are just a tad quick to take the player's sides without knowing the full facts. I do understand that a footballer's career is a short one and if both lads receive better offers from other clubs and decide to move on then good luck to them. The club should only pay what it can afford. The same also applies to Ben Hall who seems to be a youngster in a hurry. The term "derisory" is emotive and suggestive of agentspeak.

If they are derisory then its in terms of what footballers earn and what they individually have been earning. It can't and shouldn't be compared to a 'normal' salary otherwise. Also we should defintely only pay what we can afford but it does not mean it can't also be derisory.

If Lasley and Hammell, for example? have been on 1200 a week and they get offered 600 to play and continue coaching then they may deem it derisory wether we can pay more or not. However, if a 'normal' person is on 200 a week and is offered 600 a week then it clearly isnt derisory.

If I am on 80k year for example and someone offers me a new job using rhe same skillset for 40k it's derisory. But to someone else it clearly wouldn't be.

Can't compare the two.

Well we've had five positives for McManus staying, I am all for positivity but I'm really disappointed in this news. I really believe that McManus will rapidly decline in forthcoming years due to lack of pace. I expected also more from him as a leader; we lose a lot of goals and so I don't see this as a positive step. It's a lazy - stick with what we have step. Either someone new or Laing or Kennedy to progress. From previous posts you can tell I'm not a Hall fan either. I would personally be investing in a new recruit in this area.

• Like 1

What's the average salary for a Scottish footballer?

For a Premiership player at a club like ours I reckon around the £1.2k a week. No real logic in that but would expect most would be earning roughly £65k a year.

Also to add for those who would like to disagree; 63 goals lost in last two seasons. 3rd worst defence last year; 2nd worst the year before. This is an area requiring forward progression. McManus is not forward progression.

Sure goals went through McManus and he made errors buts so did Law....so did Hammell....so did Laing/Kennedy/Hall....so did the goalies.

We got what I expected more or less when McManus signed. We got the player who wasn't in the Scotland setup anymore and was playing for Bristol City and had not played a full season in a couple of years. I didn't expect the McManus who burst onto the scene at Celtic and captained the national team. He has his faults but I think he does an important job. With a steady team mate beside him at LB and CB not changing every few week I think we would see even more.

• Like 1

I know it doesn't work like this but we had two absolute clusterfucks of performances where the central defence and the goalie were hung out to dry by those in front and around them at Hearts and Celtic which saw us lose 13 goals.

UNder McGhee we have lost a lot less goals from cheap set plays and that is purely due to him getting more out of McManus than either of his predecessors. With a preseason to build a partnership I am hopeful we can hit the ground running as I think McManus plus one of Laing, Kennedy or Hall could be an acceptable starting central two in the four.

• Like 3