2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Very pleased that McManus has resigned. He missed one game last season at Ross County where Laing and Kennedy played centre defence and we were awful. Fans often do not appreciate the influence certain players have. McManus came to us as a past Celtic and Scotland captain and maybe has not lived up to that level. However I believe he is probably the most important player in our squad. Hall Kennedy and Laing will all develop under his influence.

I now hope McDonald resigns. As for Hammell and Lasley I am neutral. They have been great servants but they did leave for better money in England before and will have done well out of the game.

McGhee will have had some say on the level of money offered to them and this will reflect how important he sees them being next year. As others have said Hammell is injury prone and Las is 37. They are getting some coaching experience with the 20s so they may want to stay because of this.

But if a middle level championship club wants to offer them more than us then let them go with our best wishes and thanks.

• Like 1

I recall seeing this information recently and was startled by it. Ok it does relate to 2013-14 but was shocked to see St Mirren and St Johnstone paying above our rates. That contradicts anything I've heard about these 2 clubs being frugal on wages. Its also interesting that the Ross County figure was very low - probably before their resurgence and increase in wages. I suppose though you could have a club paying a small squad big wages being lower in budgetary terms than another club paying a large squad low wages. We don't know how the figures were calculated.

In terms of weekly wages though, ie £1200 pw, does this generally include bonuses and appearance money or are these extras which aren't quoted by players and their agents?

A couple of seasons ago I heard our top earners were on 2k a week. I could believe that, especially if it included bonuses while we were finishing best of the rest. However, it could just as easily be complete mince.

• Like 1

I recall seeing this information recently and was startled by it. Ok it does relate to 2013-14 but was shocked to see St Mirren and St Johnstone paying above our rates. That contradicts anything I've heard about these 2 clubs being frugal on wages. Its also interesting that the Ross County figure was very low - probably before their resurgence and increase in wages. I suppose though you could have a club paying a small squad big wages being lower in budgetary terms than another club paying a large squad low wages. We don't know how the figures were calculated.

In terms of weekly wages though, ie £1200 pw, does this generally include bonuses and appearance money or are these extras which aren't quoted by players and their agents?

Just out of curiosity, would our average not be lowered by the fact that our average included, for example, Reid, Cadden, Shirkie, Leitch, Moore, Murray, Stewart, Erwin, Cummins (possibly some others?) who were involved in the first team as subs and what have you, who would relatively, at least, be on buttons, while St Johnstone/Ross County have much fewer in terms of youth players? Could that possibly account for the lower averages?

Squad sizes are important here. Can't really comment on St Mirren/St Johnstone being frugal with wages until you have that additional information.

Varies wildly from top to bottom of the setup.

This is an inresting read though, obviously open to challenge - http://stv.tv/sport/football/1321105-celtics-average-wage-bill-is-25-times-higher-than-ross-countys/

As a side note, Celtic's average wage is 25x that of Ross County. Going on the below article, Man City's average wage is 5x Celtic. Just goes to show that the financial gulf between them and rest of Scottish football is miles more than it is between them and top dogs in premiership that they always moan about. That reading suggests every time they lose a game its an embarrassment!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-wages-your-club-5729730

Back on topic, would genuinely be gutted if we lost Hammell and Lasley but fully expecting both to resign, especially now McManus has resigned. I agree he isn't the player he was, but think his influence on the young guys is irreplaceable.

As a side note, Celtic's average wage is 25x that of Ross County. Going on the below article, Man City's average wage is 5x Celtic. Just goes to show that the financial gulf between them and rest of Scottish football is miles more than it is between them and top dogs in premiership that they always moan about. That reading suggests every time they lose a game its an embarrassment!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-wages-your-club-5729730

Back on topic, would genuinely be gutted if we lost Hammell and Lasley but fully expecting both to resign, especially now McManus has resigned. I agree he isn't the player he was, but think his influence on the young guys is irreplaceable.

"A Celtic source however has told STV that the figure is not accurate and only reflects total staff costs, rather than a figure which reflects solely player wages."

To be honest I'm inclined to agree with the Celtic source. I think it's very unlikely that the average Celtic player is earning almost £20,000 a week. Perhaps their top earners like Virgil van Dijk last season or Scott Brown, Commons etc will be around that figure but more likely most first team players will be on significantly less. 40,50, 60% less I'd reckon.

Hammell and Lasley is particular have done more then enough for Motherwell to warrant being treated with well. They are modern day legends and it would be really sad I think if they left under these circumstances.

If you've been following the various Society threads you'll know that we're in a position now where we really need to keep an eye on our outgoings.

The days of budgeting for top six & a decent cup run are well & truly over. We're budgeting for 10th and no cup run, which is how it should be.

• Like 1

Ladled retweeted the PFA Scotland tweet about finding a new club- he's gone.

Lasley will definitely, definitely be taking part in an exit trial, definitely.