2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

It seems a bit of a strange move if I'm honest. Pearo scored a few vital goals for us last season but yes he was injury prone. In a transitional season for us I'd have thought his presence, experience and goal threat from midfield would have been vital. Chris Cadden to me has yet to prove he can play up and down the middle, as opposed to the right wing.

Why is Pearo being allowed to move on mid deal?

There's a release clause in his contract? The cash although modest is absolutely crucial to us (doubtful)? He is simply not in Mark McGhee's plans?

It seems a bit of a strange move if I'm honest. Pearo scored a few vital goals for us last season but yes he was injury prone. In a transitional season for us I'd have thought his presence, experience and goal threat from midfield would have been vital. Chris Cadden to me has yet to prove he can play up and down the middle, as opposed to the right wing.

Why is Pearo being allowed to move on mid deal?

There's a release clause in his contract? The cash although modest is absolutely crucial to us (doubtful)? He is simply not in Mark McGhee's plans?

Reading between the lines the offer was too good for Pearson to turn down - and way beyond what was on offer by us.

So what do we do? force a 33 yo to stay with us when he could get a final payday elsewhere? or do the "right," thing and let him go?

One oft quoted attraction by players to the club is that we have a reputation for being a good club to play for - and maybe part of that is being realistic.

Anyway - we're now looking over-endowed with defenders, do we really need ten if Hammy signs?

We're looking light in midfield, if Ainsworth and Pearo go, only four. Ouch.

And featherweight up front.

I like the look of last weeks signings - I think Mr McGhee still has plenty on his plate getting the squad into shape for next season.

Disappointed to hear Pearson is going but it's hard to stand in his way if he's being offered decent money. Hopefully we are compensated accordingly.

If we lose McDonald as well, McGhee will have his work cut out finding suitable replacements for two of the best players in the league.

• Like 2

At least Pearson will leave on better terms this time; he done his bit in past 2 campaigns and goes with our best wishes.

With the surplus of defenders,an opportunity for the Laing-midfield experiment in preseason? And/or make a good offer to seal Stuart Bannigan?

I was thinking the same about the Laing-midfield experiment. Maybe he'll get a pre-season there to see how it goes.

As for Pearson, I imagine if he expressed an interest in the move McGhee (like most managers) decided not to stand in his way; which is reasonable.

I assume we have a list of targets for each position and look forward to see who we bring in.

Pearson going for a fee probably makes sense. He would not have been a happy camper if we had held him to his deal, based on the supposed deal they were offering him. He has been decent for us and I wish him well. Perhaps time to look for a younger, more physical replacement, as we were outmuscled in midfield a few times last season.

Would also agree that we look a bit top heavy with defenders now. Time to consider moving out the surplus players?

Didn't Pearson recently sign an extension to his contract? There was probably a release clause or even a gentleman's agreement in it that if there was interest from India we'd let him go.

Best of luck to him, and as mentioned above, wouldn't be suprised to see him back in C&A once more...

Starting to feel like a substantial rebuilding job required this summer if Hammell, Pearson and McDonald go. Irrespective of what you think of their abilities, it's a lot of experience and knowledge of what the club is about to replace.

Midfield is becoming a real area of concern...

Didn't Pearson recently sign an extension to his contract? There was probably a release clause or even a gentleman's agreement in it that if there was interest from India we'd let him go.

Best of luck to him, and as mentioned above, wouldn't be suprised to see him back in C&A once more...

He signed a 2 year deal a few months after he rejoined, until Summer 2017

Midfield is becoming a real area of concern...

It has been for a few years now Greg and successive managers have done precious little about it. But yes, its now of immediate and pressing concern. If Pearo goes, which looks very likely, we'll need about 3 central midfielders I think. Pre season starts tomorrow and that doesn't give us much time to sign replacements and get them up and running. Mark McGhee has always liked a powerful midfield and he now has the opportunity to create his own, albeit hastily. That said, he will have known for some time Jack Leitch would leave, Gomis would return to Hearts, Keith Lasley is probably in his last season and that Pearo might leave.

Certainly the rebuilding job is much more extensive than I had anticipated.

It has been for a few years now Greg and successive managers have done precious little about it. But yes, its now of immediate and pressing concern. If Pearo goes, which looks very likely, we'll need about 3 central midfielders I think. Pre season starts tomorrow and that doesn't give us much time to sign replacements and get them up and running. Mark McGhee has always liked a powerful midfield and he now has the opportunity to create his own, albeit hastily. That said, he will have known for some time Jack Leitch would leave, Gomis would return to Hearts, Keith Lasley is probably in his last season and that Pearo might leave.

Certainly the rebuilding job is much more extensive than I had anticipated.

According to Burrows on Twitter pre season starts today

The window doesn't close until Sept 1st this year and, while it's not ideal bringing someone in late into preseason, there is still plenty of time to make a signing or two.

Unless Law is being punted, let's not forget he is a midfielder too.

Law is NOT a midfielder :suicide:

Agreed. I like Law and I'm often found defending him on this forum and this thread particularly, but the only position I would be comfortable with him playing is right back.

• Like 1

Were Hammell and/or McDonald given deadlines/cut off points for re-signing?

I'm very keen to keep both of them but how long do we wait?

I imagine the cut-off period should kick in now.

Interesting to see who reports for training today.

I'm still confused who holds the balance of power regarding McDonalds option. The free agent chat in the papers is in conflict with McGhees interview a few weeks back.

I imagine the cut-off period should kick in now.

Interesting to see who reports for training today.

I'm still confused who holds the balance of power regarding McDonalds option. The free agent chat in the papers is in conflict with McGhees interview a few weeks back.

McGhee's given two different positions in the press re: McDonald though. Initially it was a case that the ball was in McDonald's court, the club had indicated they'd like to keep him but it was up to him whether he wanted to extend for another year. Then, as you say, the other week he was "effectively still under contract" on account of the +1 option, now it seems to have reverted.

I'd just assumed the press were conflating his situation with the other "experienced" out of contract players and while I can see why weighting the option in favour of the player could be advantageous in getting him to commit to the contract in the first place (particularly if he's unsure and wants a possible exit path allowing for certain circumstances) but it surely has to offer some sort of security to the club assuming they express a wish to retain the player.