2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

An option gives us first refusal, but does not hold the player under contract, so no transfer fee or compensation is applicable.

Could someone explain the value of these deals. Not being funny, I just don't get what the club get out of them and if they're someone more than a gentleman's agreement.

Could someone explain the value of these deals. Not being funny, I just don't get what the club get out of them and if they're someone more than a gentleman's agreement.

If he doesn't get any other options, he's got another at Motherwelll to look forward to.

It is essentially to secure the services of a player if their first year works out, so we get first refusal.

We offered the same sort of deal to Fletcher at the beginning of last season, but chose to release him.

Contractually, we need to honour the deal outlined when the player first signed, so in the case of McDonald if the club are offering reduced terms, the option is not binding and the player is free to pursue other options.

Speculating, McDonald maybe looking for a two year deal on similar wages to what he was being paid last season, something which Hibs or another club might be in a better position to offer.

• Like 1

If he doesn't get any other options, he's got another at Motherwelll to look forward to.

For McDonald, but every other player gets told if they're getting kept on, twice now skippy has done this to us, holding out for more money. Gets nothing and comes back in

It is essentially to secure the services of a player if their first year works out, so we get first refusal.

We offered the same sort of deal to Fletcher at the beginning of last season, but chose to release him.

Contractually, we need to honour the deal outlined when the player first signed, so in the case of McDonald if the club are offering reduced terms, the option is not binding and the player is free to pursue other options.

Speculating, McDonald maybe looking for a two year deal on similar wages to what he was being paid last season, something which Hibs or another club might be in a better position to offer.

This is pretty much my reading of it. Indeed it's the only way I can really make sense of the various mixed messages that have come out of the club about McDonald's situation. Presumably if we match the terms as per the terms of the original contract then he's still our player if we want him, unless of course there's a date by which those terms would have to be offered.

fucking ridiculous. Jobs for the boys. So after wasting another years wage on a geriatric midfielder we hand out 2 YEARS to an elderly left back who has been crocked for near 18 months?! Superb Motherwell

• Like 2

Surprised at the length.

Oo er, missus..

On a serious note, he's had his injuries in the last couple of seasons but managed 28 games in the season just finished so not the total crock some are making out. If he's taken a sizeable pay cut, a handy player to have around for Chalmers and Stachini to try and watch and learn from with a view to one of them taking over...

Oo er, missus..

On a serious note, he's had his injuries in the last couple of seasons but managed 28 games in the season just finished so not the total crock some are making out. If he's taken a sizeable pay cut, a handy player to have around for Chalmers and Stachini to try and watch and learn from with a view to one of them taking over...

If chalmers lasts another 6months I will be surprised.

Surprised at 2 years as my gut reaction is he is becoming more injury prone.

That said, he did turn out for us 29 times last season so not a bit part player. They did mention last year the reason his injury flared up last season was due to the injury prior to it not being fixed properly. So hopefully other than that he will stay fit. He has his negatives but was still hugely important last year.

Overall happy he is in again, and ar a much reduced wage also which is positiv. But I hope we start serious succession planning so that by next season we have in place a younger player coming in and becoming ready to take over.

On the face of it I'd say that giving the player the security of a 2 year deal is a fair trade off for him taking a (significant?) pay cut.

Seeing some seethe about it on Twitter, fact of the matter is that he's consistently been the best left back at FP and to hark back to the pay cut it's fair to ask whether we'd get a better LB on the money we're offering.

• Like 3

Aye, very good.

Who's running our club, Dumb and Dumber?

Haven't seen the links to McDonald being officially signed by anyone yet. Assuming you have, so if you could post that would be great...

Hammell is on a much reduced deal and we have just signed 4 other players. So it's a jump to say by signing Hammell specifically we can't keep Pearson and McDonald.

Haven't seen the links to McDonald being officially signed by anyone yet. Assuming you have, so if you could post that would be great...

Hammell is on a much reduced deal and we have just signed 4 other players. So it's a jump to say by signing Hammell specifically we can't keep Pearson and McDonald.

You know I don't have that link so there's your internet victory for the evening - well done.

What I do know is that he was offered reduced terms on the option part of his contract which automatically made him a free agent. That's always been the case, even pre-Bosman - reduced terms = automatic free.

I can't believe our club reneged on the second year of McDonald's deal, can't believe it.

You know I don't have that link so there's your internet victory for the evening - well done.

What I do know is that he was offered reduced terms on the option part of his contract which automatically made him a free agent. That's always been the case, even pre-Bosman - reduced terms = automatic free.

I can't believe our club reneged on the second year of McDonald's deal, can't believe it.

If we can't afford it now what else would you have us do?