2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Its not impossible we'll see Pearo back next January - maybe a gentleman's agreement. He scored quite a few vital goals last season, despite being played out of position at times. Much as I like Cadden, and he has similarities with Pearo, he hasn't yet achieved the same scoring rate.

Cadden for me has always looked like a young Pearo in attributes, in terms of drive, energy and attacking mindset, would like to see him getting a go in the central attacking berth.

Pearson played most of his football out wide for us in his first spell.

Right now I think Cadden is best suited to playing on the right with a freedom to roam and use his engine to impact all over the park without having the responsibilities of a center mid role.

I'm actually excited to see Cadden next season. He was already our best athlete but with a another preseason and the motivation of knowing his career is really kicking off he should move to another level.

• Like 1

Some of the backlash to Hammell resigning both here and on twitter is ridiculous.

I think a one year deal would have sufficed personally, but we are asking a guy who has played 550 games for us to take a significant drop in wages, his agent probably threw the second year in there as a condition of the lower wage for an added bit of security and I don't blame him. It's not like he will be on daft money, certainly not anymore, and given he coaching with us now as well, is it really going to be that much of a tax on us having him around next season? Some people plainly need to get a grip, he's been a fantastic servant to the club and although he's had an injury prone last two seasons, go and compare our win ratio with and without.

Also, gutted to see Pearson go. Don't think the fee will cover the loss that a central midfielder with his stamina and a one in three goal ratio. Not many players of his type about and he'll be a tough one to replace.

You can blame the club for that.

They have made it clear that we are skint, my god, at every opportunity forum moderator David comes on with his best I.M. Jolly

"Remember we were told at the Well Society meeting we're skint, we're doomed."

So you better believe that fans are going to go nuts when a fragile veteran is given a two year deal and McDonald is freed to save next to nothing.

Read your post again, think about what you said - has the penny dropped now?

They have made it clear that we are skint, my god, at every opportunity forum moderator David comes on with his best I.M. Jolly

So you better believe that fans are going to go nuts when a fragile veteran is given a two year deal and McDonald is freed to save next to nothing.

Go and have a wee lie down mate.

• Like 1

I don't think McDonald has been "freed", Hibs will possibly be doubling what we can offer him and we simply can't compete with that.

Surely that much is obvious?

For the record I'm pretty gutted at losing McDonald but money talks and we don't have any.

How big a loss is McDonald?

He put in some great performances over the 18 months but just as many terrible ones. He was completely unfit for the first three months of the season. Some of the strops he threw on the park were embarrassing and probably won't be tolerated anywhere else.

It shouldn't be difficult to bring in someone who can match his contribution across the whole season.

• Like 1

How big a loss is McDonald?

He put in some great performances over the 18 months but just as many terrible ones. He was completely unfit for the first three months of the season. Some of the strops he threw on the park were embarrassing and probably won't be tolerated anywhere else.

It shouldn't be difficult to bring in someone who can match his contribution across the whole season.

Good question. Don't forget he's now 33 and is a year older and slower than he was this time last year.

I honestly don't mean to specifically pick up on your posts. But, how much is 'next to nothing'?

I get he is an important player and one I will be disappointed to lose if, probably when, he leaves but there has to be a limit to what we pay players to ensure we have a decent coverage across the squad. The financial outlook of the club has changed since last summer. Our elder statesment....Lasley, Hammell and McManus took big paycuts. Seems McDonald was also asked to take a paycut too. Maybe the wage he was given to begin with was unrealistic and not something we could maintain. Don't know the details.

If he goes, then I thank him for the time he was here again as in the main he was great. But, as others have said, he is 33 in August, so maybe it will turn out the right move and we move on.

Do we know if Dylan Mackin has re-signed yet? I'm sure I saw his mugshot in the pre season training photos.

He's got a squad number assigned in the link a few posts down, would take from that that he's contracted to us.

I don't think McDonald has been "freed", Hibs will possibly be doubling what we can offer him and we simply can't compete with that.

Surely that much is obvious?

For the record I'm pretty gutted at losing McDonald but money talks and we don't have any.

Note the club announcement of the squad numbers today - can you see McDonald's name anywhere?

No?

That's because he's a free agent - by dint, automatically freed, because the club reneged on the second year of his deal.

We've got Craig Moore back who's been freely scoring for Ayr United, plus in Blyth, what looks like a decent big guy up top - first since Sutton departed. Would be disappointed to see Skippy depart, but we've got decent options.