2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Yes we did.

He was one of those listed as being offered a contract on a club statement back in May.

I think the question Lobey_Dosser is proposing is more along the lines of whether or not we met the 60 day rule (Article 6. Clause 3 of FIFA's guidelines) that allowed us to benefit in bringing in Heneghan from Chester and if it applies in Leitch's case going from Scotland to England (you'd think it would as he's changing associations). He was certainly on that list and SPFL rules are such that they only require an offer to be put in place 14 days before the expiration of the contract.

I think we missed deadline as not seen officially on our site he left might have missed it though as seem to be keeping quiet on this 1 so think we stuffed up as sure we never offered a contract beg of April which is 60 days before contract ended end of may so think we got he haw as never expected anybody to come in for someone without 1st team action but it's happened so have learned a harsh lesson me thinks

I think we missed deadline as not seen officially on our site he left might have missed it though as seem to be keeping quiet on this 1 so think we stuffed up as sure we never offered a contract beg of April which is 60 days before contract ended end of may so think we got he haw as never expected anybody to come in for someone without 1st team action but it's happened so have learned a harsh lesson me thinks

That said, as far as I'm aware it hasn't been announced he's signed by the other party so I wouldn't expect MFC to announce anything officially until the signing club and/or the player have done so first.

Tweet(@MotherwellFC): @Steffmcd80 As we stated publicly, we offered him a deal but he's opted to take up a contract offer down south, Steff. We wish him well...!

That's what i mean it's all hush hush yet with Ben Hall we announced he had joined Brighton and we got a fee I am 99% certain we stuffed up and are trying to keep it quiet yet everybody knows he's away to Burnley yet no official announcement so question is why not

That's what i mean it's all hush hush yet with Ben Hall we announced he had joined Brighton and we got a fee I am 99% certain we stuffed up and are trying to keep it quiet yet everybody knows he's away to Burnley yet no official announcement so question is why not

It could be argued though that we are waiting for Burnley to announce the signing of Leitch, as we did with Hall at Brighton.

It could be argued though that we are waiting for Burnley to announce the signing of Leitch, as we did with Hall at Brighton.

^^^ This.

There's been no announcement by any of the 3 parties involved. IIRC in Hall's case it was Brighton who announced first, not MFC. Even the player himself hasn't updated his socials.

Leitch is an U20 player who never played for the first team. Hall was a first team player. That's probably why there hasn't been a big announcement?

It's not that there hasn't been a big announcement, more that there has been no announcement at all by either MFC, Burnley or more pertinently Leitch himself. You'd normally get a wee "thanks to MFC, all the best to the club" then his pals from the 20s pile on etc. The fact that hasn't happened yet is enough to suggest that rather than MFC trying to keep it quiet they're simply working to an agreed timeline. Which isn't to say they're due compensation or that they've not been caught out on the 60 day issue but equally it hardly means they're trying to cover the deal up.

Given the window officially opens in England tomorrow I'd imagine you'd probably see some sort of confirmation then.

• Like 1

Have the rules changed in recent years? When we reportedly ended up with £200k for Hall and £500k for Erwin, I always wonder why we didn't just hold out for compensation for Murphy instead of accepting £110k when he had six months left to go on his contract. Was cash flow that bad? Were the future earnings from the sell on fee a big consideration? As it turned out, we got Faddy on a free, finished second and it turned out fine, but I always found it strange at the time.

Whether or not a contract was offered Leitch in time to warrant a development fee should he leave, could anyone have predicted Leitch would have attracted interest from Upper leagues in england at this stage in his career?

He might be the one that got away, but surely we release loads of boys accepting they may go on to have successful careers without a second thought that we may be due something.

I thought it was 23 and under?

Nah. It's up to 23.

F3: Compensation shall be payable to the former Club of a Player only where the Player concerned is Registered with his new Club at or before the end of the first Season in which the Player concerned reaches, will reach or shall have reached the age of 23. http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootballleagueasat1december2015_1450456828.pdf