2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Did McGhee not say that Ofere was someone he'd looked at in January but personal terms ruled him out? Either way you'd think he'd be much less limited in terms of targets in the Summer window than the stop gap options in the January window. Given his record at United Ofere probably looks more like a bullet dodged now.

He did indeed. Of the recently released United players there's none that would interest me. United will finish bottom for a reason.

• Like 1

Paul Dixon, Ryan Dow and Edward Ofere are three players I think could strengthen the Motherwell squad. It's hard to judge individual players on recent performance when they have played in what has obviously been a negative environment. These three have performed well in the past - in Dow's case, was he not a promising youngster. Dixon is potentially a ready made replacement for Hammell. Ofere is a big target man in the mould of Higdon and Sutton.

What about Blair spittal who has been told to find a new club, their best player this season

The more significant thing for me with this announcement is that we actually made it in the first place. When was the last time the club went public over a target? We normally keep our cards very close to our chest so to change tac like this is a wee eyebrow raiser.

Sadly I think the subtext of this is the Louis has attracted attention himself and is off.

However if you want to be Machiavellian about things you could suggest by us showing interest in what would be a primary striker, it means there's interest (or an offer) in our current one. This alerts anyone in football that they need to move quick if they want to be involved .... bidding war ..... jackpot.

Well that was a damp squib of a day. A spectacular amount of expense on a security cordon necessitated by a tiny band of thoughtless idiots-theSFA- and the miscreants who simply refused to be told.

Hopefully today will negate the need for future deployment of rooftop snipers or an alligator filled moat

Apart from Marvs rampaging first half cameo at left back, a forgettable afternoon

Just a note on Scott McDonald, when the club announced a 1 year contract with a 1 year option, I interpreted the option as being within the clubs' control. Seemingly that's not the case.

Hope we keep hold of him. I thought a signing such as El Bakhtaoui would materialise with the departure of Moult, Marvin or Ainsworth.

Just a note on Scott McDonald, when the club announced a 1 year contract with a 1 year option, I interpreted the option as being within the clubs' control. Seemingly that's not the case.

Same. It really does beg the question of what's the point in having an option clause in a contract if it's not under the control of the club whether they take it up or not?

Who knows? Maybe we're just being amicable about the whole thing and opening a dialogue along the lines of: "we want to take up your option. are you OK with that?"

It's all a bit vague and McGhee isn't exactly straightforward when it comes to signings, injuries etc. - and I mean that in a good way i.e. he never reveals his cards.

The player having an option doesn't make sense to me, as he wouldn't have to put that in any contract. Unless we're saying he can make us sign him even if we didn't want him.

Regardless, I'd be happy for him to stay another season, especially if we do end up selling Moult. I don't think it's coincidence Erwin and now Moult have improved playing alongside Skippy,

• Like 2

The player having an option doesn't make sense to me, as he wouldn't have to put that in any contract. Unless we're saying he can make us sign him even if we didn't want him.

Agreed. What would make sense though would be if both parties had to mutually agree which would avoid a conflict of either a player being retained against their will or the scenario you highlight above where a player can activate the clause regardless of the wishes of the club which would obviously be potentially problematic in a relegation scenario.

The player option means he chooses whether to activate the second year of contract.

I think he'll stay. He gets a lot of leeway because of his history with us that he wouldn't get at Aberdeen or Hearts.

I agree that I think he'll stay, but I can't imagine any club (even ours) would create a contract where we must re-sign a player that we don't want. For example, if he had a terrilble season, or worse, suffered injury issues, would we really want to be in a position where we payed out a wage next season to a guy who might never start a game?

Make zero sense.

For all that, I'd be happy to see him back at Fir Park next season and it seems Skippy enjoys playing for us and would be mutually beneficial.

I still find it amusing that some fans didn't want him back because he kissed a badge while playing for Celtic. Any time I ever heard him speak or read an interview he always spoke highly of his time with us. The guy oozes experience and even after he had decided to move on the first time around he always gave 100%. Total professional who I'd be delighted to see finish his career at Fir Park.

• Like 2

I agree that I think he'll stay, but I can't imagine any club (even ours) would create a contract where we must re-sign a player that we don't want. For example, if he had a terrilble season, or worse, suffered injury issues, would we really want to be in a position where we payed out a wage next season to a guy who might never start a game?

Make zero sense.

Think of it as us giving McDonald an opt out halfway through his deal.

You would only give it to a player who you definitely wanted for two years who wasn't sure if they wanted to sign for two (maybe because of an imposter manager). There would probably be a a minimum amount of appearances to trigger it to give the club a bit of leverage.

• Like 1