2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

I wasn't a Josh Law fan but he was under contract.

I think it's fairly clear the club & player had agreed his release from his contract.

Robinson is a different story, he's said himself in his interview for Oldham's channel that he didn't apply for the job and that Oldham approached the club and he had only recently signed a new deal, so unless there was some sort of waiver in the deal that allowed him to leave if a managerial position came up then I'd imagine that compensation would be due.

I'd be surprised if we received anything from Oldham. Law is a player we don't want who wants to find a new club. We will save on the remainder of his contract. Robinson obviously sees the manager's job as a step up and you cannot argue with that. Yes, he is under contract, but if he doesn't want to be here then what is the point of holding him to it? Good luck to both of them.

So, thats both Stephen Robinson and Josh Law departed for pastures new at Oldham. The Latics website thanks us, as a club, for being professional. Thats good to hear. However I hope thats not a coded way of saying we rolled over and gave them what they wanted as a club. Don't get me wrong I've no problem with either man moving on and good luck to them. However both were under contract to us and I sincerely hope that they will be compensating us accordingly. I don't think we're due a fortune and Josh Law did want to move on but we are entitled to a modest amount I would have thought; maybe in the region £50K - £100k.

You surely can't be serious.

I think if there was any money coming from Leitch we'd know about it by now. Hopefully however we've took in a modest lump sum for Pearson, topped up by the departure of Robinson. I'm hoping the wheeling and dealing required to recruit a quality midfielder doesn't involve the departure of Ainsworth.

As for this Lee Lucas boy, if his ongoing trial warrants interest, I'm assuming he'd be a low cost 3rd midfield signing given his unfortunate injury record.

Flow suggesting on Twitter that McGhee wants another midfielder, but some wheeling and dealing required before that can happen. I'd imagine Lucas is a real possibility but would probably depend on others leaving - wonder if the Ainsworth chat is still a go-er (if it ever was?)

I'm not so sure that Lucas is the player that is dependent on the 'wheeling and dealing'. I know you take McGhee's chat to the press with a pinch of salt but he seemed to indicate that there were offers on the table but they were dependent on the positions with their clubs (I suppose McHugh might have been that guy given he had an offer on the table from Plymouth).

Given his injury record I'd guess that Lucas might be an affordable extra midfield option we might look to take a punt on.

At the moment we've got Lasley, McHugh, Cadden for the 3 central midfield spaces with them supplemented by Campbell so we're definitely still light in there and there's probably room for a couple of bodies if they fit the budget.

Given all the considerations eg friendly etc. and also budget / contract I was impressed enough with the trialist yesterday to like to see him against stronger and more competetive situations. Possibly Annan,East Stirling or Stranraer. Him and McHugh are broadly similar type.

At the moment we've got Lasley, McHugh, Cadden for the 3 central midfield spaces with them supplemented by Campbell so we're definitely still light in there and there's probably room for a couple of bodies if they fit the budget.

The central midfield jigsaw is currently clouded in uncertainty. Much will depend on how Mark McGhee views Cadden's role. Until now he has been played in a wide right role and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't been played in the middle in pre season games. That suggests that MMcG doesn't intend to deploy him there. So can he play there successfully? I tend to think that he can but thats by no means certain. So, given that, I'd say another attacking midfielder is an absolute must. Yet another factor is that Pearo may return to us in January and if so its a temporary vacancy and a case could be made for us to muddle through until then.

The central midfield jigsaw is currently clouded in uncertainty. Much will depend on how Mark McGhee views Cadden's role. Until now he has been played in a wide right role and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't been played in the middle in pre season games. That suggests that MMcG doesn't intend to deploy him there. So can he play there successfully? I tend to think that he can but thats by no , means certain. So, given that, I'd say another attacking midfielder is an absolute must. Yet another factor is that Pearo may return to us in January and if so its a temporary vacancy and a case could be made for us to muddle through until then.

Rather than Cadds perhaps more significant in the pre-season games thus far, and potentially today, has been the regular inclusion of Alan Campbell in central midfield.

There's an argument possibly that he's played as much because we've been so light there in numbers but if not perhaps earmarked as as a first pick I very much get the impression that he'll be given as much time game as possible to bring on his development.

Rather than Cadds perhaps more significant in the pre-season games thus far, and potentially today, has been the regular inclusion of Alan Campbell in central midfield.

There's an argument possibly that he's played as much because we've been so light there in numbers but if not perhaps earmarked as as a first pick I very much get the impression that he'll be given as much time game as possible to bring on his development.

I hope he'll get his chance Andy and yes he's getting exposure in pre season games but is he not more of a defensive player? I'm sure I recall reading that MMcG referred to him as a tough tackling midfield terrier type.

Maybe we might play a midfield three with McHugh and Lasley/Campbell holding and maybe Thomas getting a chance through the middle? I'd like to see Cadden in that role too.

Moore seems to give us mobility that Moult or Blyth might not, so I'm hopeful we'll see him feature this season.

Ainsworth has been posted as missing in the few friendlies played. Kept help but feel that his time at the club is up. Gifted player who can lack any application at all in many games.

I live between Easter Road and Leith Walk, so this will be the closest game to me all season probably. Hibs are a expecting a good turnout today so hopefully we thrash them.

Maybe we might play a midfield three with McHugh and Lasley/Campbell holding and maybe Thomas getting a chance through the middle? I'd like to see Cadden in that role too.

Admittedly I'm only going by the clips of pre-season I've seen on YouTube and I acknowledge that it may well be a case of needs must with Pearson having left but from the looks of things Thomas is being asked to modify his game a bit with a view to him playing a bit more centrally as an attacking midfielder rather than having him playing as a winger. I'd noticed he seemed to be playing a bit deeper with the 20s towards the tail end of last season as well and IIRC he came on and played in the centre of the park in the televised game vs United.

For what it's worth I think that's potentially "a good thing" in so much as he's got pace, can carry the ball and beat players. If he's got a couple of players alongside him to 'enforce' for him (Lasley, McHugh) then it could well give him another pathway into the team rather than hoping for a spot on the wing to open up.

The central midfield jigsaw is currently clouded in uncertainty. Much will depend on how Mark McGhee views Cadden's role. Until now he has been played in a wide right role and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't been played in the middle in pre season games. That suggests that MMcG doesn't intend to deploy him there. So can he play there successfully? I tend to think that he can but thats by no means certain. So, given that, I'd say another attacking midfielder is an absolute must. Yet another factor is that Pearo may return to us in January and if so its a temporary vacancy and a case could be made for us to muddle through until then.

Cadden was played in the centre of midfield during the first half at Arbroath. The fact he was moved at half time shows that the experiment never worked.

Cadden was played in the centre of midfield during the first half at Arbroath. The fact he was moved at half time shows that the experiment never worked.

McGhee said in one of the press conferences recently that he sees Cadden as more of a wide player than central. From the 20's I do think Cadden can play the central role. Maybe needs a bit more experience at first team level before becoming a first choice in there though.

Admittedly I'm only going by the clips of pre-season I've seen on YouTube and I acknowledge that it may well be a case of needs must with Pearson having left but from the looks of things Thomas is being asked to modify his game a bit with a view to him playing a bit more centrally as an attacking midfielder rather than having him playing as a winger. I'd noticed he seemed to be playing a bit deeper with the 20s towards the tail end of last season as well and IIRC he came on and played in the centre of the park in the televised game vs United.

For what it's worth I think that's potentially "a good thing" in so much as he's got pace, can carry the ball and beat players. If he's got a couple of players alongside him to 'enforce' for him (Lasley, McHugh) then it could well give him another pathway into the team rather than hoping for a spot on the wing to open up.

That's been my thoughts also. Certainly yesterday that was the role he was playing. With the skill he has with the ball at his feet he could do really well in there if he can just make that killer pass, get a decent shot away.

McGhee said in one of the press conferences recently that he sees Cadden as more of a wide player than central. From the 20's I do think Cadden can play the central role. Maybe needs a bit more experience at first team level before becoming a first choice in there though.

That's been my thoughts also. Certainly yesterday that was the role he was playing. With the skill he has with the ball at his feet he could do really well in there if he can just make that killer pass, get a decent shot away.

David Turnbull is more suited to playing the advanced role than Allan Campbell. Cadden is currently a better option than both and he has his limitations - his passing is not upto the standard required to play there at this moment in time.