2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

put in a bit of context QPR got £5.5m for the player they're looking to replace. Different leagues, inflated prices I know but is there that much difference between Johnson and Matt Phillips?

Or closer to home did Celtic not pay £1.5m for Stuart Armstrong?

That'll be the debt to Les cleared...

Maybe.

Did we not pay a fee for Marvin?

Guessing if we get a good fee, surely the manager would be allowed to reinvest in the next Marvin as our own talent pool are still a bit down the line before we get a saleable mfc-grown player.

Also while £1.6 was scoffed by a couple (let's not debate too hard with all the trolls), theres about £300k difference between top 6 and bottom 6 in prize money, with bottom 6 likely to get fewer games against the 'big teams' (150k quoted by thistle for 2 less gates with celtic/rangers?) - so selling a key player has to be for the right price in my opinion.

Maybe.

Did we not pay a fee for Marvin?

Guessing if we get a good fee, surely the manager would be allowed to reinvest in the next Marvin as our own talent pool are still a bit down the line before we get a saleable mfc-grown player.

Also while £1.6 was scoffed by a couple (let's not debate too hard with all the trolls), theres about £300k difference between top 6 and bottom 6 in prize money, with bottom 6 likely to get fewer games against the 'big teams' (150k quoted by thistle for 2 less gates with celtic/rangers?) - so selling a key player has to be for the right price in my opinion.

Yeah we need to guard against doing what Utd did i.e. sell your best players and not adequately replace them, ultimately leading to relegation.

£1.6m?? Has someone been sniffing glue? I think Johnson's a smashing player but no better than Murphy was when he left. I know their contract situations are different but still...

The contract situation is one of the most important parts of the deal. For once we are in a great and strong postion.

Papers read here and print what they see without checking the facts.

soooo.... here goes......

Marv is a steal at 1.6m we should hold out for 4 million with a 25% sell on clause.

Not a penny less.

and if you think McManus is leaving for anything short of 1.25M then you have another thing coming.

• Like 2

The transfer fees paid for two different players doesn't really indicate who the better player is. The fee relates to age, the time left on their contract, how long is left on the contract, whether the player is in demand, and how inclined the club is to let him go.

Don't think there is any danger of us following the Dundee United route to relegation by selling too many of our better players. Not saying we couldn't get relegated, we just don't have that many decent players to sell.

£1.6 million for Marvin would be a great piece of business for us. Personally I doubt we will get half that.

With the money being paid for players down south a figure around £1.5m is fair for marvellous Marv.

Whatever we get for him. I would worry big time next season. He is the one player who on his day looks the part and creates from nothing.

A huge loss if he goes this summer.

Agreed, although you'd assume replacements have already been identified. A bid for Marvin certainly wouldn't be unexpected I'm sure.

Listen, Marvin is the best technically skilled player in the squad but he's never really attained any form of real consistency in a fairly weak league. He wasn't near anyone's SPFL team of the season last term. £1.6M? Of course we'd take it but the point is no one is going to offer it.

Guys like Johnny Hayes and Greg Stewart have been much more effective players over the last couple of seasons so are they worth £2M plus?

Listen, Marvin is the best technically skilled player in the squad but he's never really attained any form of real consistency in a fairly weak league. He wasn't near anyone's SPFL team of the season last term. £1.6M? Of course we'd take it but the point is no one is going to offer it.

Guys like Johnny Hayes and Greg Stewart have been much more effective players over the last couple of seasons so are they worth £2M plus?

Ye never know...

Looking at the prices in the English market from the top half of the Championship upwards then I really wouldn't be surprised at a figure of £1.6m for Johnson especially if Hasselbaink has identified and wants the player. I read a suggestion that he had looked at the player while he was managing Burton.

To say that nobody would pay that for him hardly acknowledges the sort of fees that are increasingly commonplace at that level, the reported £7m for Grabban being a good example, £3m for Nick Blackman to Derby is another. Having said that I'm very much in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

You can argue whether or not he's as effective as Hayes or Stewart all you want but that's largely irrelevant if Johnson is the player that a team actually wants, has the finance to make it worth our while selling and are willing to pay it. What that figure actually is, who knows?

• Like 1

Worth remembering that as good as Hayes is, he's just that wee bit older than Johnson is, which probably makes him less appealing, and certainly out of the £1,000,000 bracket.