2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Craig Slater who knocked back a deal at Kilmarnock has signed for Colchester in League Two.

Another sign of the direction Scottish Football is heading in.

The money in English football is mental. Conference teams are outpsending half the SPFL.

But it seems our clubs are still happy enough with the half-arsed efforts our league makes to generate revenue, and then let the OF take the lions' share of the pitiful income.

• Like 1

A few interesting posts tonight. I'd be wary of Kallum Higginbotham. He's had quite a few clubs and failed to settle at any of them. A talented player albeit with attitude.

Like Superward I'm surprised that Ziggy Gordon has ended up at Firhill, I thought he was destined for bigger things.

Craig Slater to Colchester? Colchester's population is twice/three times that of Kilmarnock and the club itself will be receiving considerably more in TV/media money than almost all, if not all of our Premiership clubs.

I'd be surprised if Slater envisaged ending up in League 2 with Colchester himself when he told Killie to do one. Unfortunately for him I'd guess that his options became increasingly limited given the development fee that would have been due (STV reported a figure c.£154k).

It'd seem that Colchester were prepared to pay that while others that he had been linked with, Aberdeen for example, decided against paying a fee for him.

He'd have been better just staying at Killie tbh.

A few interesting posts tonight. I'd be wary of Kallum Higginbotham. He's had quite a few clubs and failed to settle at any of them. A talented player albeit with attitude.

Like Superward I'm surprised that Ziggy Gordon has ended up at Firhill, I thought he was destined for bigger things.

Craig Slater to Colchester? Colchester's population is twice/three times that of Kilmarnock and the club itself will be receiving considerably more in TV/media money than almost all, if not all of our Premiership clubs.

This is the fundamentals of it.

When you look at some of the Engish "towns" they've got massive populations. I know that's not an entirely scientific way of estimating fan bases, but it's a starting point.

Northampton has around 220,000, I think that's similar to Aberdeen. Other places like Luton, Rochdale and Stockport are similar. Then there's our wee towns up here at 30,000 or so.

Add the TV money to the mix and it becomes something else.

Looking into it Colchester get crowds of around 4,000 and had a turnover of £3.7m in 2015 so they probably get less TV money than we do.

The difference in England seems to be that there are still people willing to put their own money in whereas that has dried up in Scotland.

Craig Slater who knocked back a deal at Kilmarnock has signed for Colchester in League Two.

Another sign of the direction Scottish Football is heading in.

I'd be surprised if Slater envisaged ending up in League 2 with Colchester himself when he told Killie to do one. Unfortunately for him I'd guess that his options became increasingly limited given the development fee that would have been due (STV reported a figure c.£154k).

It'd seem that Colchester were prepared to pay that while others that he had been linked with, Aberdeen for example, decided against paying a fee for him.

He'd have been better just staying at Killie tbh.

I was gonna say, wasn't this boy a decent Centre mid but I was unaware he knocked them back, thought they just released him.

I see that one of our nightmare opponents, Gary Harkins has been told by Dundee that he's free to find a new club. Someone we might consider if we're short in midfield...?

Harkins role would be something between McDonald and McFadden (if he gets a deal), so IMO no room at the inn.

Gary Harkins has been told by Dundee that he's free to find a new club.

I know its a journalistic turn of phrase, but what exactly does that mean Greg? Has he been released with compensation; or is he still on their books, want him to go but are not willing to pay compensation

I know its a journalistic turn of phrase, but what exactly does that mean Greg? Has he been released with compensation; or is he still on their books, want him to go but are not willing to pay compensation

Essentially it means he's still under contract but the club want him off the wage bill so are saying that they'll waive their right to compensation/fee to reduce obstacles in finding a new club. If he finds a suitable alternative he's free to leave and the club will release him from his contract.

• Like 1

McGhee also said a few days ago it would take some "wheeling and dealing" to bring in someone new.

And that we were looking for another midfielder.

Which, while consistent with his "no new players until someone leaves" line doesn't rule out more new faces.

McGhee also said a few days ago it would take some "wheeling and dealing" to bring in someone new.

And that we were looking for another midfielder.

Which, while consistent with his "no new players until someone leaves" line doesn't rule out more new faces.

^^^^ This.

Again, it depends how much weight you place on any statement that follows "McGhee said..." but he went as far as to say they had a specific target in mind. It's worth pointing out that Alan Burrows also stated that they were after a central midfielder but qualified it by saying that they'd need to "wheel and deal" so though McGhee's made that explicit in the press conference that ran via the club channel today, the reality is that it's not something that we hadn't been made aware of.

What I would say is that it offers a legitimate opportunity at this point for players like Campbell to make a genuine case that they're able to step up and follow in a player like Cadden's footsteps into consideration for the first team.

McGhee confirming no more players coming in.

At our maximum until someone leaves. Puts us pretty bare at Centre mid.

By my reckoning we have lost Pearson, Leitch, Gomis, Fletcher, Law, Hall and have resigned several players on reduced terms. Surely savings made there should be enough for more than four new faces (not counting Brill as pretty sure our contribution to Ripley's salary accounts for his wage.

If things are that tight budget wise, it makes the signing of a centre half all the more puzzling...

By my reckoning we have lost Pearson, Leitch, Gomis, Fletcher, Law, Hall and have resigned several players on reduced terms. Surely savings made there should be enough for more than four new faces (not counting Brill as pretty sure our contribution to Ripley's salary accounts for his wage.

If things are that tight budget wise, it makes the signing of a centre half all the more puzzling...

Not if he's better than the other two centre-halves he's competing against.

No need to worry though. We'll be in the money after Marvin Johnson is sold for £1.6m.

McGhee confirming no more players coming in.

At our maximum until someone leaves. Puts us pretty bare at Centre mid.

My heart sank a bit when he said that. It's madness to go into the season with two recognized central midfielders, one of whom is 36, and the other who is completely untested at this level.

We'll need some of the young lads to really step up or it could be a long season.