2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Surprised we are offering McFadden and Samson contracts at this stage.

Reduced contracts to be expected for Lasley and Hammell as you anticipate a reduction in contribution from those two on the park but I'd like to think both will continue to have a big influence at the club.

Wee bit harsh on McManus as you'd expect him to be an ever-present barring injury but I suppose we are cutting our cloth accordingly in order to pay back Les.

I don't really see what good it is to give McFadden a contract over one of the younger players we no doubt will release. I'd prefer to keep one of the youths and send him on loan to see how he develops - as an example, would we still have Lawless if we had done this?

I don't really see what good it is to give McFadden a contract over one of the younger players we no doubt will release.

Absolutely. Its not surprising that the other senior players are being asked to take a wage cut as this will probably reflect anticipated decreasing time on the pitch. Bit surprised about Samson though and wouldn't be surprised if he rejects the offer.

I think McGhee had all but said they'd be likely to make Samson and McFadden an offer.

In fairness Onthefringes called it on here the other week about Samson being offered reduced terms.

Sensible approach from the club with regards Lasley, Hammell et al tbh. In the case of McManus I suppose it depends on the make-up of the offer. A reduced basic with a slightly bumped appearance bonus would still be him being asked to take a 'wage cut' I guess.

[quote name="Lobey_Dosser" post="470232" timestamp="1462779893

Wee bit harsh on McManus as you'd expect him to be an ever-present barring injury but I suppose we are cutting our cloth accordingly in order to pay back Les.

Wee but harsh on the club, Les debt not due to be payed until 2020 if I recall correctly. Possibly reduced terms for McManus to increase terms for Hall - would that make u feel better?

Not necessarily. The offers may reflect Mark McGhee's use of his playing budget re offering other players enhanced deals or bringing other players in. In any event its maybe just an attempt to use our money more wisely. Doubt if it has anything to do with Les.

• Like 1

They'll be some apoplectic on here when the actual break up & not the projected break up of the development squad soon :nod:

On what grounds? Financial cutbacks or the fact that some individual members of the squad won't be deemed good enough to be offered new deals. If its the latter then I guess thats life.

I'd obviously rather we had a bigger budget, but I must admit to being encouraged in a way by the wage cut news. One of the things that has stopped me joining the Well Society thus far is the fact that we seemed to show no evidence of how we were going to become self sufficient, so this is progress in that aspect. Given we do seem to have promise in the ranks just now, I'd be happy to see a smaller core of players supplemented by youngsters getting their chance.

Of all the players offered new deals, I don't think many of them could have too much issue about a slight pay cut. Lasley is going to be 37 most of next season, although Hammell has proved to be our best left back time and time again, who's to say he won't miss a lot of next season injured and McManus has under performed for large spells of the last two seasons. Of all of them, Scott McDonald is probably the most entitled to be aggrieved at reduced terms, such is his influence on the team overall and I think there's a chance he probably will. I expect him to be here next season, but I wouldn't put it past him using interest from other clubs as a point of negotiation.

On a side note, we were once linked with Osman of Partick Thistle for next season. He has just signed a new deal.

• Like 3

On what grounds? Financial cutbacks or the fact that some individual members of the squad won't be deemed good enough to be offered new deals. If its the latter then I guess thats life.

I'd have said 'projected' was your latter 'won't be deemed good enough' & I'm comfortable with that as that's how the system invariably works. 'actual' if it comes to pass, doesn't align with club ethos unless the goalposts have moved... again. Time to practise what they preach.

• Like 1

I'd obviously rather we had a bigger budget, but I must admit to being encouraged in a way by the wage cut news. One of the things that has stopped me joining the Well Society thus far is the fact that we seemed to show no evidence of how we were going to become self sufficient, so this is progress in that aspect. Given we do seem to have promise in the ranks just now, I'd be happy to see a smaller core of players supplemented by youngsters getting their chance.

Of all the players offered new deals, I don't think many of them could have too much issue about a slight pay cut. Lasley is going to be 37 most of next season, although Hammell has proved to be our best left back time and time again, who's to say he won't miss a lot of next season injured and McManus has under performed for large spells of the last two seasons. Of all of them, Scott McDonald is probably the most entitled to be aggrieved at reduced terms, such is his influence on the team overall and I think there's a chance he probably will. I expect him to be here next season, but I wouldn't put it past him using interest from other clubs as a point of negotiation.

On a side note, we were once linked with Osman of Partick Thistle for next season. He has just signed a new deal.

Almost word-for-word, what I'd have written...

...I'd also have stated though that any sort of playing deal for Faddy is now beyond counter-productive

• Like 1

I don't really see what good it is to give McFadden a contract over one of the younger players we no doubt will release. I'd prefer to keep one of the youths and send him on loan to see how he develops - as an example, would we still have Lawless if we had done this?

Please, please let this go. Please.

From the way it's being reported McDonald's not one of those being offered reduced terms. The question for him is whether or not he wants to take up the option of a 2nd year. You'd think that any 2nd year option would be on par with the first year of his deal otherwise really, what is the point in the option?

Seems to be Hammell (34), Lasley (36), McManus (33), Samson (32) & McFadden (33) who are being offered deals on reduced terms.

Wee but harsh on the club, Les debt not due to be payed until 2020 if I recall correctly. Possibly reduced terms for McManus to increase terms for Hall - would that make u feel better?

Yeah but we still have terms to meet regularly between now and then.

Tightening the belt even further ahead of WS ownership being officially signed in the next couple of months seems prudent enough. Hopefully not too much to the detriment of the playing squad.

Couldn't blame any of them for going elsewhere though for more cash when we are offering less.

Please, please let this go. Please.

Nothing meant by using him as an example, only he came to mind first - will have to see who we release before naming current squad but Leitch Springs to mind there although others are probably as good if not better.

Take out the emotional attachment.

If the players offered reduced terms were with other clubs - would you want the club to go out and sign them?

I think not.

I'd rather that all five were released so that we can sign players that will give us half a chance of getting some transfer money in.

And I have enough faith in Mark McGhee to believe that he is capable of digging out a couple of new players from outwith the club who will do exactly that. And that's before we look at our development squad.

We can't afford to be giving contracts to players who will realize zero value, and of whom, at least two I regard as passengers, the other three of borderline worth to the team. Can you picture a scenario where any one of these five will be offered a further contract in a years time?

Again, I think not.

I can picture a scenario where we'll land in administration again, though - and we'll hasten that by pumping resources into veteran, injury prone players.