2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

The issue with El Bahktaoui as far as I can see and presumably the reason why he as yet doesn't have a club is that there's too much doubt about him to justify the money it'd appear he/his agent are looking for. It seems like just about every club up here going has taken a look at him but none of them have felt sure enough to get a deal done. He may well be keeping his options open but at the same time we're almost into August, pre-season's been going on for a month.

He's currently on trial at Blackburn and that's Coyle basically said he's not convinced by him, he thinks he's a good player but has doubts as to whether he's good enough for that level at the moment. It seems to be a recurring theme, people think he looks alright but no one is willing to take a risk on him. When it comes down to it that's ultimately the issue, for all the good reports he's had one good season at League 1 level in Scotland.

Given Dundee's current situation it may well be the case that they feel they have to be seen to do something and it'll force their hand a bit.

• Like 1

Dundee have just sold Hemmings so are in a completely different situation from us. They need to replace their main goalscorer and also have a wee bit of money.

Not sure that that they do have a wee bit of money, if the word on the street is to be believed. As an aside, Paul Hartley's comments on Hemmings puts some of Mark McGhee's comments into perspective. In any event I doubt if striker is a priority for us at the moment. Given our current injury list, there's perhaps a chance for Dylan Mackin to showcase his talents, if only from the bench.

The thing is, he could well step up a level and progress the way Stewart has done at Dundee.

Equally he could be utter dug meat. There's risk attached to every signing. FWIW if we'd had the cash I'd have probably taken him. No chance of that happening now though.

Has anyone noticed in the pictures Craig foy posted on twitter yesterday of the squad training, right at the front appears to be Craig Moore ?

Given Ayr are part-time it's not really a surprise if Moore's training with MFC on the days he's not with his loan club.

Surely we can recall him any damned time we please? He's our player.

Only if it's a "development loan" or whatever they're called these days, I think. Otherwise, I think you can only recall for emergency cover.

Both short term contracts are due to expire shortly. Decision time for Mc Ghee.

As for Clay it sounds as though Mc Ghee may be veering towards signing him. For what it is worth I am not sure he would be a first pick as I havent seen anything to suggest he is better than what Jack Leitch for example would have offered. To be fair though he is trying to settle into a new set up and local area and is perhaps worth another game .

Turning to Lucas I fear he may have missed out due to his recent injury which prevented him being played against East Stirling and Stranraer. This is a pity as what I have seen so far suggests he could have offered us a style different to what we already have.

Perhaps the windfall from the Celtic game will give the 2 players more time to impress Mc Ghee.

• Like 1

Having seen neither in games other than the YouTube clips I can't really comment on their relative abilities or attributes however what I would say about Lucas is that he's been here since the start of July, to me that's a pretty long "trial" so I'm not sure whether or not the injury he picked up would have put McGhee off that much. He was quick to point out in his press conference that he felt that Lucas' performance stats and ProZone (if that's what we're using) were consistently showing up well. The fact that he's been here for the length of time he has (relatively speaking) would make you think that McGhee would have a pretty good idea of what he's about by now.

As far as Clay goes, I mentioned in one of the other threads that Clay had been in talks with Lincoln City with the source being an interview with another ex-Grimsby player who had just signed for them, Nathan Arnold. BBC Humberside gave the story a mention as well. I've no idea where Clay is based but if he's still around the Grimsby area then that would certainly be a much more local option for him. McGhee certainly seemed politely positive when talking about him the other day but again whether he's actually what we need is a different story.

Who knows McGhee end up going for one or the other, both or neither. The squad is fairly light of bodies in the centre of the park either way and there's probably room (budget permitting) for a couple.

It's worth pointing out that we're probably hitting the point where contracted players are likely to be getting an idea as to whether they fit in managers plans. Going back to some of McGhee's comments from earlier in the close season he had previously indicated that they were waiting to hear from a few players situations. Perhaps we might be looking for the elusive attacking midfielder as a loan deal or such.

Always difficult to tell what a player has to offer with limited gametime but for what its worth my assessment would be

MChugh>Lucas>Clay

All similar types of player and given we've already signed McHugh Im not sure what Lucas or Clay would offer other than keeping Campbell out of the first team. Might be harsh but I think the money can be better spent.