Motherwell V St Johnstone Sat 7 May 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I'm neither for or against a pitch invasion, however have been on the pitch several times in the last 31 years of going to Fir Park - more so when I was much younger mind you. Remember the pitch invasion at the end of the game v Dunfermline after Van Der Gaags equaliser, sheer joy. Also remember a final home game when Benito Kemble walked off the park in his y fronts after giving up his shirt, shorts and boots to joyous well fans. Everything's all very PC nowadays. It seemed ridiculous today for a crowd of 4444, what actual harm would have any potential pitch invader have caused today, or any other end of season bar playing v the old firm where things get a little bit silly (other than to the club). I wonder how servere these sanctions/ fine was going to be? Are we talking playing behind closed doors/ point deductions? Or just a hefty fine. All total overreactions Footballs changing all the time, things like trial by sportscene, over zealous stewarding/ policing.... I don't know what to make of it. On the other hand, last season v Rangers, the celebrations were mildly spoiled at the end, wouldn't it have been great if the players had stayed out pitch side and went mental at full time instead of running for cover. Was there not a season (bar '91 cup final aftermath) where all the fans came onto pitch whilst the players reappeared in main stand. It's all very nice the players can get there kids on the pitch at full time and do a wee lap of honour but I'm feeling days like today they needn't have bothered- I'd like to bring back the old style lap of honour, stay out on the pitch, don't bother getting your wife and never mind the kids (they can come out in there own time), never mind the pre printed t-shirts either. Disappearing up the tunnel, taking ages whilst we're blinded by a flourescent glare. Bah humbug ehh! Still totally delighted with top 6 finish. I had £100 on us at 10-1 after McGhee got job so season tickets already purchased for next season. Delighted!

Given the scale of the security operation today, which would have cost a hefty 5 figure sum, I can only assume the ramifications are in the points deduction/closed doors ballpark. Punishment that goes well beyond the scale of the 'crime'.

The scene at Fir Park was an utter embarrassment for Scottish football today. From facing a wall of stewards and mesh fencing, you get home to see Bocelli sing Nessun Dorma in front of 30,000 Leicester City fans who've just been treated to free beer and pizza.

I like to defend Scottish football but today resembled the backwater league that many portray it to be.

Well that was a damp squib of a day. A spectacular amount of expense on a security cordon necessitated by a tiny band of thoughtless idiots-theSFA- and the miscreants who simply refused to be told.

Hopefully today will negate the need for future deployment of rooftop snipers or an alligator filled moat

Apart from Marvs rampaging first half cameo at left back, a forgettable afternoon

Cannot blame the club for the security increase. They have tried to rely on the common sense of our support in the past and it has not exactly worked out well (no pun intended).

It is a sad day when the actions (and no little expense) of the club are dictated by a handful of stupid people who can't or won't take a telling, but it is where we are.

• Like 1

Can't believe people are moaning about not being allowed to run on the park.

Who gives a fuck really.

For me it's not at all about the running on the pitch, it's the fact that the sheer scale of what we say today has been driven to a large degree because some of our fans had the temerity to goad and taunt Rangers fans after their team had been denied their "rightful" promotion.

It's a consequence of a scatter gun approach of rage, seethe, condemnation, blame that was unleashed by Rangers and their sympathisers and apologists in the immediate aftermath of the game/

I simply refuse to believe that we would have seen anything like the charade the authorities went through a month or two back or the level of security put in place if it was Falkirk or Hamilton or whoever our supporters had stood in front of in the South Stand. Or indeed had the result gone the other way and it was Motherwell fans who were being taunted by the opposition.

And what makes it all the more galling is that the poor little innocents who were crying foul were the support who have caused mayhem in stadiums, towns and cities across Scotland and Europe for decades.

• Like 8

The pitch invasion on the final home game has become a tradition. It generally doesn't create any trouble, and it is part of a final game party that makes the day all that more enjoyable.

The fact that the club have been warned to stop this for a number of seasons is pathetic. It appears that the authorities are hellbent on taking any fun out of football. There really is nothing wrong with going on to the pitch to end the season. It is all part of the party.

Today was a total embarrassment for the club and Scottish football. I'm not one that goes on to the pitch, but I felt that the completely over the top security showed a level of disrespect for the majority of the fans. It also killed the enjoyment of the end of season party. It was very noticeable that many people just left. Those that stayed didn't really party. I stayed, but only to thank the players for their efforts, and felt a bit deflated. The players themselves also looked very restrained.

SPFL, mission accomplished. You have managed to take a harmless and enjoyable end of season tradition and kill it. Just like you are doing to the game in general.

• Like 3

The pitch invasion on the final home game has become a tradition. It generally doesn't create any trouble, and it is part of a final game party that makes the day all that more enjoyable.

The fact that the club have been warned to stop this for a number of seasons is pathetic. It appears that the authorities are hellbent on taking any fun out of football. There really is nothing wrong with going on to the pitch to end the season. It is all part of the party.

Today was a total embarrassment for the club and Scottish football. I'm not one that goes on to the pitch, but I felt that the completely over the top security showed a level of disrespect for the majority of the fans. It also killed the enjoyment of the end of season party. It was very noticeable that many people just left. Those that stayed didn't really party. I stayed, but only to thank the players for their efforts, and felt a bit deflated. The players themselves also looked very restrained.

SPFL, mission accomplished. You have managed to take a harmless and enjoyable end of season tradition and kill it. Just like you are doing to the game in general.

The main disrespect shown is that of the minority of brainless wonders who have persisted with pitch incursions , despite all the club warnings and threatened sanctions over the years. It is no longer the light-hearted celebration it once was, more a GIRUY to the authorities and as such does nobody any favours.

The club has been backed into a corner and left with little option other than today's almost farcical belt and braces approach.

The final day pitch invasion is history. Deal with it and move on.

• Like 1

Word on FPC is that sanctions would have cost us £100k, but I don't know.

The game itself was a damp squib riddled by petulance, niggles on the pitch and poor officiating. Fisher in particular was lucky to see half time. It was a game which had been lost by 2.55. The formation was bizarre and ultimately along with poor play cost us the game. In the first part of the first half we looked lively and could have scored 3 goals more had we taken our chances. Johnson especially looked to be in the mood with some great runs but unfortunately looked like a fish out of water playing so deep. For all we looked lively the midfield and defence looked poor and Saints could also have added another couple of goals. We looked very exposed down the flanks and it was no coincidence that both goals lost came from the wings. The midfield sat too deep and found it hard to compete, especially in the second half. Saints looked the better side in the last 45 and comfortably saw the game out despite our fruitless pressure. Saints were impressive in their own way. Not exciting to watch but apart from an error or two looked solid, well organised and played the referee well. They worked far harder than us to close us down.

Personnel wise, Johnson was out of position and Ainsworth contributed nothing. The latter should have been replaced at half time. We played without any recognised full backs and it cost us. Couldn't quite fathom out why Leitch was brought on to replace Johnson with 10 minutes to go. I like Cadden but today his first touch let him down. Credit to him though for creating the goal through sheer hard work. Very few pass marks today. I'm a supporter of Mark McGhee but today he got it badly wrong.

Poor show from the Saints fans for their treatment of Keith Lasley.

• Like 1

It might have been a bit ott with the fences but it was pretty obvious that there would be a line of stewards round the pitch at the end given that warning fans to stay in the stand doesn't work.It wasn't just last seasons pitch invasion that caused this, I seem to remember about 10 years ago somebody kicked a Celtic player so it's not like we don't have previous.Can you imagine what would happen if we played Hamilton on the last day... Imrie would definitely be making a quick exit anyway.Most other teams in Scotland don't bother with that now and we'll just have to get used to it too.

Glad to see the overwhelming majority were far opposed to the over the top stewarding today. Completely understand the need to take a stance on last season given the number of people that entered the field in a proactive manner to the vermin in the south stand but today was embarrassing. In all my years supporting the well I have never left before the players have came out but today I felt the club were showing a disrespect to the fans, mainly with the netting but also the number of stewards/police present. That will be my last game of the season as a result. Genuinely don't think I can face going back next season if that is what scottish football has become.

• Like 2

17k(unconfirmed) spent to avoid a 100k (unconfirmed) fine.

Since the players couldn't be fucked getting us up a place to earn some more prize money,that's got to go down as money well spent.

• Like 1

Glad to see the overwhelming majority were far opposed to the over the top stewarding today. Completely understand the need to take a stance on last season given the number of people that entered the field in a proactive manner to the vermin in the south stand but today was embarrassing. In all my years supporting the well I have never left before the players have came out but today I felt the club were showing a disrespect to the fans, mainly with the netting but also the number of stewards/police present. That will be my last game of the season as a result. Genuinely don't think I can face going back next season if that is what scottish football has become.

Simply disagree.

The facts are the club had little choice. I suspect that had even 1 fan stepped onto the pitch the authorities would have thrown the book at us. That has nothing to do with disrespect to us. Nothing. Everything to do with avoiding a huge fine and further scrutiny going forwards. I absolutely agree that were it not Rangers we beat when the fans came on, there would have been a whole lot less made of it. Also did not help when that halfwit punched and kicked Erwin.

It was a poor performance and I also feel like some we should have played a more solid foundation against an always solid St Johnstone.

Hard to argue with the fact the players and Manager have done a very good job getting into top 6 - but quite a few let us down today. With that and the stewarding at the end, not surprising to see so few fans stay behind. I did but in truth it was only because one of my friends did.

Hopefully we can get a result on Wednesday, even a draw would probably secure 5th. Which looking back would represent a good season after the start we had under previous Manager.

17k(unconfirmed) spent to avoid a 100k (unconfirmed) fine.

Since the players couldn't be fucked getting us up a place to earn some more prize money,that's got to go down as money well spent.

17k....That's not too bad, I think we should do it every week .Thought the stewards all looked very smart too , in their matching outfits

I seem to remember about 10 years ago somebody kicked a Celtic player

That was never proved although the media latched onto it. When fans invaded the pitch, the players understandably rushed for the tunnel and there was quite a melee of bodies, with folk falling and tripping. A Celtic player claimed he'd been kicked from behind but there was no way of knowing what took place.

That was never proved although the media latched onto it. When fans invaded the pitch, the players understandably rushed for the tunnel and there was quite a melee of bodies, with folk falling and tripping. A Celtic player claimed he'd been kicked from behind but there was no way of knowing what took place.

Ross Wallace was the "victim" in that case. His lack of pace in getting off the park that day was evident throughout the rest of his career too

So the only time there has been a hint of bother with our end of season tradition has been when Celtic or Rangers have been in town.

I appreciate the club were in a difficult position with 'ramifications' hanging over them but maybe we should have showed a bit of backbone in fighting the unprecedented and disproportionate action.

On a side note, it would be interesting to hear the views of the Well Society on yesterday's events.

So the only time there has been a hint of bother with our end of season tradition has been when Celtic or Rangers have been in town.

I appreciate the club were in a difficult position with 'ramifications' hanging over them but maybe we should have showed a bit of backbone in fighting the unprecedented and disproportionate action.

On a side note, it would be interesting to hear the views of the Well Society on yesterday's events.

It would also be interesting to find out from the SPFL what the minimum acceptable stewarding ratio is; what it was in the play off and most important of all what ratio they proposed in the investigation report.

Fuck me. Not being allowed to run on to a football pitch from a stand. What a liberty eh. Call in the human rights lawyers.

Keep this simple and take the emotion out of it...club asks fans to stay off the pitch year on year...they don't....measures put it place to make sure fans do. No fans on pitch.

Next year...don't run on the pitch again and maybe they won't have to put the measures in place.

Don't stop fighting the fight though against 'them' and 'the authority' and all the other bad folk out to get ye.

• Like 5

Fuck me. Not being allowed to run on to a football pitch from a stand. What a liberty eh. Call in the human rights lawyers.

Keep this simple and take the emotion out of it...club asks fans to stay off the pitch year on year...they don't....measures put it place to make sure fans do. No fans on pitch.

Next year...don't run on the pitch again and maybe they won't have to put the measures in place.

Don't stop fighting the fight though against 'them' and 'the authority' and all the other bad folk out to get ye.

Nailed it.

There seems to be some fear that there is a conspiracy going on against our fans, Celtic levels of paranoia at times. If you don't act like a wank then you won't be treated as one. Problem is that there are some that want to act like a wank and don't want to be treated like one.

• Like 4

Really lacklustre, shapeless and disappointing performance yesterday. I know that there wasn't too much at stake (other then a chunk of cash that could be useful to the club) but it's never nice to lose, particularly at home and certainly not on the last home game of the season. I had hoped after Ross County away earlier in the season never to see Johnson at left back ever again but I suppose he was actually quite entertaining there, initially. Several players had shockers and others just aren't very good. Ref was atrocious!!

Probably the first "last game lap of honour" I've ever not stayed for but I was that scunnered with what I had endured that I couldn't be arsed staying around for it. Judging by the amount of other folk who also left at the full time they possibly felt the same. On reflection that wasn't very fair on the players and management who did after all secure a top 6 finish which is not to be sniffed at.

With regards to the wall of stewards etc. on the face of it of course it seems excessive but folk can't be trusted and the club had to do everything they could, and/or at least be seen to be doing everything they could to prevent a pitch invasion. I hope that the netting was to show the authorities what lengths they had went to. I also believe if it hadn't been Sevco this had happened against we wouldn't have been threatened with sanctions.

To offset the expense of the extra security, we've could've looked a bit more interested on the park in the attempt to secure 4th spot.....