Bob Mc Hugh

livivoice

If you're seriously suggesting we'd have been better off with McHugh instead of Moult, you need some rehab over the summer.

McHugh has been on the bench most of the season at a Championship team. He still has time to improve, but right now that appears to be his level.

We all are or should be pleased he is doing well.

One of those players that we have an affinity for. Just a general good lad.

Would rather have Moult and Skippy, but that does not detract from my joy at him scoring winner tonite.

He might not shag all the birds, but he scores some vital goals

He was no better than we had at the time, and no better than we have now. He's decent and I hope he does well, but just like lawless I wouldn't consider him as "one that got away".

On this subject, who have we released as a youngster who has legitimately went on to bigger things?

It's well known on here that I don't think that McHugh got an entirely fair crack of the whip. When did he ever get a run of goalless starts that Erwin, Ojaama (2nd time round) and others got? He scored a number of crucial goals off the bench and never gave less than 100%. Would I rather have had him ahead of Moult or McDonald? No. Could he have contributed less than Robinson, Clarkson and Fletcher combined? That's another question...

It's well known on here that I don't think that McHugh got an entirely fair crack of the whip. When did he ever get a run of goalless starts that Erwin, Ojaama (2nd time round) and others got? He scored a number of crucial goals off the bench and never gave less than 100%. Would I rather have had him ahead of Moult or McDonald? No. Could he have contributed less than Robinson, Clarkson and Fletcher combined? That's another question...

I would agree with that.

For me you need to give a player at least 60/70 minutes over 7/8/9 games to see what they're like. McHugh never had that. Very difficult and unfair to judge a player based on 5/10 minutes as a sub here and there.

That said, I don't really consider McHugh to be "one that got away", although you can bet that if Falkirk come up he's odds on to score against us!

My lasting memories of McHugh are scoring the winner v Hibs in a 3-2 game at Easter Road after being 2-0 down at one point. I think that's the only time I've ever seen us overturn a 2 goal deficit to win. And also his pathetic penalty miss away to the Russian mob.

Swings and roundabouts then!!

Good luck to McHugh but he is not a premier league player. I doubt very much he'll make any major contribution with Falkirk next season but I have to say he looks as if he's lost about a stone in weight since going to Falkirk from when he was with us.

Dont know if thats a damning indictment of Motherwell's training regime at the time or McHugh himself........probably both!!

As for Lawless, don't rate him either, average player.

The only player I can think of that we got shot of at a young age was Neil Lennon.........bullet dodged.

I would agree with that.

For me you need to give a player at least 60/70 minutes over 7/8/9 games to see what they're like. McHugh never had that. Very difficult and unfair to judge a player based on 5/10 minutes as a sub here and there.

That said, I don't really consider McHugh to be "one that got away", although you can bet that if Falkirk come up he's odds on to score against us!

My lasting memories of McHugh are scoring the winner v Hibs in a 3-2 game at Easter Road after being 2-0 down at one point. I think that's the only time I've ever seen us overturn a 2 goal deficit to win. And also his pathetic penalty miss away to the Russian mob.

Swings and roundabouts then!!

I think the problem is that when he was given a start he was posted missing, making every start a gamble. There were always players similarly on the fringes who were less of a risk than him.

McHugh was banging in screamers (wahay etc) every other week for 20's, and will clearly be a big player at a certain level. My fear is he'll come up with Falkirk and find the top flight just a step too far again.

I'd love to be proved wrong. I heard he was absolutely dedicated on the training ground and always one of the physically strongest at the club.

mchugh clearly wasn't good enough when he was with us,he should have been let go 2 years before we eventually got rid of him too allow him too build his career elsewhere,mccall giving him that new contract when he did was stupidity.

• Like 1

McHugh was unfortunate in that he was trying to break through at a time when we had very strong players in the forward postions. I'd never seen a Motherwell player score 20 goals in nearly 30 years of supporting the club, then we have two players do it two seasons in a row. On top of that he's been up against some of the best forward players the club has had in the modern era - McFadden, McDonald.

He didn't do enough with us and it was time for him to move on but I don't see how anyone can say he's not a top level player based on the game time he had with us. He's got 8 goals in 12 starts for Falkirk this season and the Championship is not much different in quality than most of the Premiership. Most of his goals have been against the better teams in the league too - Rangers, Hibs, Raith Rovers so you can't even say he's scored his goals against Alloa's and Dumbarton's.

I'm guessing Lee Miller won't feature for Falkirk next season if they come up but they have signed Nathan Austin from East Fife.

Thought McHugh would have taken over as one of the main goalscorers when Murphy left though he did have plenty of chances in the first team and never impressed that much. Best of luck to the guy though, no doubt he will come back to haunt us next season as most players who leave us do.