17 May 1886

underboyleheating

130 years old today. Still going strong. :biggrin:

Motherwell FC were born on 17 May 1886, when representatives of the two main Motherwell works teams, Glencairn FC and Alpha FC met in Ballie's pub in the towns Merry Street, and decided to merge the two teams, with the aim of creating a club to represent the town as a whole at a higher footballing level.

• Like 1

35% for me too. From Dixie Deans to Louis Moult

I remember going to the reserve games to watch Dixie Deans before he broke into the first team. One one of my vivid ( or so it seems now ) memories was Dixie scoring a peach of a goal Against St Johnstone in a 2-1 scottish cup win at Fir Park. Pulled it down with his lef t foot and leathered inot the net with his right foot from about 20 yards

Since we've got the older intelligentsia commenting just now, can anyone remember Dixie shoulder-charging the Dundee FC goalie (Bobby Geddes, perhaps?) over the line in a league game? It was claimed to be the last goal of this type given, I believe. Think we won 2-1.

Dixie wrote affectionately about his time with us in his book. He recounts a "fan" who always gave him a roasting. The game following one of his hat-tricks, Motherwell's answer to Fergie* shouted, "Hey, Deans, yer still shite!"

Ah, the banter....

*BTW, that's the obscene Accies fan, not MUFC boss. Although, you never know.

Since we've got the older intelligentsia commenting just now, can anyone remember Dixie shoulder-charging the Dundee FC goalie (Bobby Geddes, perhaps?) over the line in a league game? It was claimed to be the last goal of this type given, I believe. Think we won 2-1.

Dixie wrote affectionately about his time with us in his book. He recounts a "fan" who always gave him a roasting. The game following one of his hat-tricks, Motherwell's answer to Fergie* shouted, "Hey, Deans, yer still shite!"

Ah, the banter....

Accies. Classy as ever....

081291-bq-cup-final-hamilton-v-ayr-utd-1

I was about to boast and raise the betting to 50% too late 60% mentioned. I have vague memories of League cup final vs Hibs 1950 I think more vivid memories for obvious reasons of the 52 final vs Dundee. Dalziel High schoolboy aged 14 in the specially reserved stand enclosure. If I had to name a favourite amongst all the talent over the the years for me it would be Charlie Aitken a very talented and graceful Wing Half very often played out of position at Inside Forward. If the last part is confusing to posters ask your dad!

• Like 2

Ah, the banter....

Think that's a bit before Bobby Geddes, Ally Donaldson rings a bell?

I was about to boast and raise the betting to 50% too late 60% mentioned. I have vague memories of League cup final vs Hibs 1950 I think more vivid memories for obvious reasons of the 52 final vs Dundee. Dalziel High schoolboy aged 14 in the specially reserved stand enclosure. If I had to name a favourite amongst all the talent over the the years for me it would be Charlie Aitken a very talented and graceful Wing Half very often played out of position at Inside Forward. If the last part is confusing to posters ask your dad!

My papa reckoned Charlie Aitken was the best player to ever play for Motherwell and he had been watching them since the early 1930s

I have vague memories of League cup final vs Hibs 1950

Before my time, although my late father was at it. An interesting game and a lot of talk at the time about our games against Hibs. On 14 October 1951 Hibs whacked us 6-2 at Fir Park. A fortnight later later Hibs were odds on favourites to beat us in the League Cup Final but we beat them 3-0.