Motherwell: Class Of 1991 Recall Scottish Cup Final Triumph

Big Tosh

25 years ago today and I remember every detail about the build up and the match, after that the details are a bit of a blur until the Monday morning when I finally got home, happy days I hope its not another 25 year wait and I will be too old to enjoy it.

I was there but I didn't realise that Christopher Lee was our goalkeeper!!!! he he, jeez he has aged a fair bit. But not as hilarious as fact that the Man of the Match was David Bowman!!!!!!!! outrage

In the strictest form of manliness, I don't think Ally Maxwell is looking too bad at aw!!! Bear in mind he and the likes of Kirkie and Fergie will be comfortably into their 50s now.

It was a great day and I have a few good stories to tell about it. My overriding memory, however, is at the end of 90 minutes how exhausted I was. Can't imagine how the players felt, but it was an amazing effort the way they picked themselves up and really took the game to Utd. again - especially in the first half of extra time.

Two other memories are surveying the stadium at half time, not quite believing we were ahead in a Cup Final, and Ally's save right at the end.

Good times shared with all my 'Well supporting mates - and Accies supporting mates who also came along.

In the strictest form of manliness, I don't think Ally Maxwell is looking too bad at aw!!! Bear in mind he and the likes of Kirkie and Fergie will be comfortably into their 50s now.

If he shaved that beard off and got laid into the Grecian 2000 I reckon we could re-sign him for next season. He's already proved he's better crippled than some of our more recent able-bodied 'keepers.

Two particular memories of the great day itself stick in my mind, apart from the obvious. A bunch of Dundee Utd fans applauding us as our buses drove away from Hampden, even though they must have been hurting like fuck; and watching the highlights of the game in a jam-packed Electric Bar that night, pissed, tired and happy, and still not really believing it when the final whistle blew.

One wee thing I remember is walking back to the car and realising we'd qualified for Europe. That possibility had never even crossed my mind up to then.

Yep that was same as me. Forgot about Europe with the whole build up to the game and all the drama. It was walking back to the bus after the game that someone mentioned Europe and it added to the excitement.

A horrible memory is growing men crying in the toilets at the break between 90mins and extra time because we conceded so late in the game and thinking we'd blowin it.

Another memory is passing the strathclyde hospital on airbles road and the nurses and patients all standing waving to the buses as they headed towards the m74.

On the twitter page showing photos from the night who is between Jim Griffin and Craig Paterson? Is it Iain Angus?

Also I didn't realise Ally Maxwell was a coach in USA now, fair play for coming over, feel guilty about slagging his beard now!!! one of best goalies we ever had and a travesty that final was his last game for Well

Any reason why Dougie Arnott doesn't seem to have been part of the anniversary celebrations?

I mentioned this last night to my dad, that there was no appearance from him at any of these events (that I'm aware of).

Didn't he have quite a big fall out with the club a few years back? He went from running the bars in Fir Park to having nothing to do with the football club.

A real shame he couldn't make it along.

Perhaps there is a bit of ill-will from his time working with the club. I know his son well and see him in the East Stand most home games so if any bad feeling does exist, it's not spread to his son. He still owns The Wee Thackit up and Carluke and now drives a taxi up there too.

Any reason why Dougie Arnott doesn't seem to have been part of the anniversary celebrations?

I am just back from Las Vegas about an hour ago....met him, his brother Ronnie and a few of their mates. They were all over on a 50th for the past week. They were in good form!

I was asking about the bar thing. Apparently just didn't add up in regards money being made/time invested. So moved on.

The '91 cup win was sort of life-changing for me in a way. I was in 2nd year at High School in 1991 and Id been following Motherwell from afar for a while. However not being from there or living anywhere near there, no-one else I knew had any interest in the club, so it was pretty much just a "following the scores on a Saturday, getting a top for Christmas" type of thing and that was it. All I ever really heard was Rangers, Celtic, Falkirk (local side), and being a kid in the 80's 90's, Aberdeen and Dundee United. To be honest I was totally fine with that, as I'd never known any different, and had no expectations of that ever changing.

Then you had the '91 cup run, the Celtic games/replay, then the final itself....the victory, they way the game unfolded, the sheer quality and drama of it. All of a sudden, literally overnight, things went from no-one ever talking about my club, to EVERYONE talking about them! For a good few months, right into the start of the next season, and then beginning the next year at school when you see people you haven't seen since the end of the previous school year, Motherwell were the talking point! It was probably the best, most uplifting feeling i've felt as a football fan yet, and the first time I felt that whole "pride in sticking with a smaller club" thing. It absolutely, 100% justified my choice in sticking with them as my team when no-one else really knew anything about them.

Actually remembering it back whilst typing this, brings back the feelings of playing football in the park in the weeks after the cup final (and at that age everyone is pretending to be a particular player), and overnight it had gone from no-one ever even mentioning my club or having the slightest interest, to all my pals being like "right i'll be Stevie Kirk" "no IM Stevie Kirk, you be Phil O'Donnell", and im just thinking...YASSSS! Good times!!

• Like 1