Well Society Agm

Kmcalpin

I have complained about it on a regular basis since about a month after I joined. It's doubly annoying as they like to make a big deal about their members across the globe. Failing to mention that those members are excluded from participation in all meetings.

The stock answer is "you can submit a question beforehand" which is almost pointless given you can't follow up and your question might be in relation to something that arises during the meeting.

Meeting is tonight at 7pm at Fir Park in the Millennium Suite.

Who knows what goes on with all these databases that are held between the club and Well Society for various purposes but my own experience with this one is that the email notification was received timeously and has been followed up with tweets both by the WS and MFC.

Perhaps an article on the official website might have been handy but at first glance seems fairly reasonable attempt at getting word out.

I have complained about it on a regular basis since about a month after I joined. It's doubly annoying as they like to make a big deal about their members across the globe. Failing to mention that those members are excluded from participation in all meetings.

The stock answer is "you can submit a question beforehand" which is almost pointless given you can't follow up and your question might be in relation to something that arises during the meeting.

I can understand that overseas members would like to be kept informed of what is being said and happening at meetings, but is it really a good idea to have an interactive live feed running?

I think it would result in chaos, with people complaining that their feed isn't working, technical issues, questions being sent and missed by whoever has to deal with them etc.

I think it would result in chaos, with people complaining that their feed isn't working, technical issues, questions being sent and missed by whoever has to deal with them etc.

I'd have no problem with it being on an unsupported basis (at least for the first few times until they iron out any problems), i.e. if it works it works; if it doesn't and we miss half of it, then too bad but at least they made an effort. No need to have a helpdesk running at the same time ;)

Given all the options available for streaming and videoconferencing these days, mind you, I wouldn't have thought Periscope, presumably using somebody's phone, was necessarily one of the better ones. (Chances of them streaming the whole thing in portrait mode...?)

I can understand that overseas members would like to be kept informed of what is being said and happening at meetings, but is it really a good idea to have an interactive live feed running?

Well that's OK then. Take my money and don't let me participate in the society's affairs. Seems like a good deal. Maybe we should not allow questions from the people who attend the meeting too. Because that could result in chaos if 2 or 3 people speak at the same time.

Most businesses that organize these things use some kind of conference call facility. During the meeting, the phones are muted to all we can do is listen. If we have a question, they can be emailed (or otherwise transmitted electronically on skype, slack, twitter, social media of choice) and the moderator in the room asks them on behalf of the questionier. If they use something like webex, or join.me they can even present slides etc. to the remote callers.

This isn't new technology. I have been using it for 20+ years. We have continued to be shut out of these meetings, unable to contribute, question or even read minutes of the proceedings.

Well that's OK then. Take my money and don't let me participate in the society's affairs. Seems like a good deal. Maybe we should not allow questions from the people who attend the meeting too. Because that could result in chaos if 2 or 3 people speak at the same time.

Most businesses that organize these things use some kind of conference call facility. During the meeting, the phones are muted to all we can do is listen. If we have a question, they can be emailed (or otherwise transmitted electronically on skype, slack, twitter, social media of choice) and the moderator in the room asks them on behalf of the questionier. If they use something like webex, or join.me they can even present slides etc. to the remote callers.

This isn't new technology. I have been using it for 20+ years. We have continued to be shut out of these meetings, unable to contribute, question or even read minutes of the proceedings.

The Well society isn't most businesses, though. Wouldn't I be right in saying that a lot of the places where these meetings are held don't even have internet connections available in them?

What they should be doing though, is recording the meetings and providing all members with the opportunity to watch them online. That doesn't require an internet connection, as it can be uploaded later that evening if needed.

• Like 1

The Well society isn't most businesses, though. Wouldn't I be right in saying that a lot of the places where these meetings are held don't even have internet connections available in them?

They've certainly claimed this in the past, though even pubs have WiFi these days so maybe they just need to add it to the list when they're looking for suitable venues. (It's certainly surprising that the Millennium Suite doesn't have any kind of reliable internet connection in this day and age, if indeed it doesn't -- that surely limits the type of groups who might otherwise be interested in booking it and bringing money into the club.)

They've certainly claimed this in the past, though even pubs have WiFi these days so maybe they just need to add it to the list when they're looking for suitable venues. (It's certainly surprising that the Millennium Suite doesn't have any kind of reliable internet connection in this day and age, if indeed it doesn't -- that surely limits the type of groups who might otherwise be interested in booking it and bringing money into the club.)

Installing a decent wifi set up throughout the whole ground is a must these days it will cost a few quid but people/businesses looking to hire the facilities expect it as standard. However the lack of it is another example of the amateurish way that the WS goes about its business.

Installing a decent wifi set up throughout the whole ground is a must these days it will cost a few quid but people/businesses looking to hire the facilities expect it as standard. However the lack of it is another example of the amateurish way that the WS goes about its business.

You want the Well society to install Wi-Fi at Fir Park?
  • Like 1

What they should be doing though, is recording the meetings and providing all members with the opportunity to watch them online. That doesn't require an internet connection, as it can be uploaded later that evening if needed.

A bit strange that they can put up the Q&A on periscope without an internet connection.

Maybe they could lend the club the money I have contributed over the past few years to install a telephone.

Periscope will work with 4G.

As i said before getting the sound right is surely the hard part of streaming a meeting.

Not if you use a phone line. An audio line is a reasonable alternative to nothing at all.

But there are plenty of ways these days to broadcast meeting across the globe. From webex at the top end to Twitch at the bottom end. All it takes is one microphone and a decent moderator.

I'm boring myself now, though. Seems like I have been moaning about this forever. I'll just get back to the "loading" screen on Periscope and wait for the approved minutes to be published.

Watched the majority of the Q&A there...answers to the Q's were all a bit wooly and didn't realise address any points directly.

The most interesting bit was from the guy fan ownership guru, Paul, who was able to provide exact figures/percentages and examples of how other clubs revenue streams increased after fan ownership took place.

These are the kind of things I want to be hearing from the Society Board though to help paint a positive picture, give exact examples of how fan ownership can work and convince people to sign up!

For me that would be a lot more successful than 'please geez your money'.