Should Ally Maxwell Get His Testimonial?

David

I know he left the club over 20 years ago, but having listened to his interview on the Motherwell podcast, it's still a subject that bothers him by the sounds of it.

On top of that, it doesn't sound as though he really got the chance to celebrate the cup final win properly due to his injury, and he's a real Motherwell fan by all accounts.

Is it too late now to finally give him the recognition that he deserves? You tend to find that such recognition is usually eventually given when it's too late and the person is no longer here to accept it in person, which is kind of sad.

I think the club could and should do something to recognise his service to the club, and to give him a chance to be recognised by more of the support than was able to this past week or so.

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but wasn't he only at the club for 8 years (if you don't count being in the FP Boys Club, which I didn't think you usually did for testimonial purposes)?

Either way, from what I hear about his dad from my dad, I suspect it's probably him who wants the testimonial more than Ally does!

He mentioned £300 per week on the podcast, and refutes the idea that he wanted to be the highest paid player at the club. He asked if anyone seriously believes he had a chance of being paid more than Davie Cooper.

Regardless, it's all water under the bridge and I think a guy who played as big a part in us winning the cup and the games we did during that era deserves the recognition.

• Like 1

A couple of years later and he would have been able to go on a Bosman.

The rules were unfair at the time but he landed on his feet at Ibrox so I don't expect a whip round will have too many takers.

I'm more thinking about the recognition from the fans, as it seems like he was kind of robbed of that after the cup win, and then he left under a cloud.

What was the crowd for Lasley's testimonial? About 2000? That was for the current Motherwell captain.

I very much doubt a crowd would come out for a guy who a full generation of Motherwell fans will have never seen play at any club, never mind Motherwell.

Ally got plenty of recognition from the fans over the last week at the nights held by the club. His contributiton to the club won't be forgotten, but it's a long time ago now. Time to move on.

What was the crowd for Lasley's testimonial? About 2000? That was for the current Motherwell captain.

I very doubt a crowd would come out for a guy who a full generation of Motherwell fans will have never seen play at any club, never mind Motherwell.

Ally got plenty of recognition from the fans over the last week at the nights held by the club. His contributiton to the club won't be forgotten, but it's a long time ago now. Time to move on.

Pretty much this. The team as a whole have gone down as legends and we'll remember all of them, maybe Maxwell more than any of them, all as long as we have our faculties. Maybe the club could have dealt with Ally a bit better at the time, maybe it couldn't, but I don't think any one of them deserves any more or less recognition than any of the others 25 years on.

Wanted more money to resign if my memory serves me right though he was bigger than the club

He was on the verge of the international team, had had a brilliant season and had just helped us win the cup with serious internal injuries.

Probably deserved a pay rise.

In the more than 30 years I've been going I'd still put him in my Top 3 goalkeepers.

Did maxwell not get a trial with Liverpool after the cup final season?

According to soccerbase.com Ally Maxwell was on loan at Liverpool between October 91 and March 92 though never made an appearance.

Great servant to our club though dont think he should be getting a testimonial after all this time.

I'm not a fan of testimonials in general, though they have their place in terms of players that have suffered career ending injuries.

Ally Maxwell is a legendary name in our history though based on his performance in the Cup Final alone and we really should have dedicated a lounge or box, or something in his honour.

Ally Maxwell didn't win us the Scottish cup in fact he was at fault for 2 of Dundee Utd goals. Then he wanted a massive pay rise for the following season. I know Clark clobbered him in the final but did we not have a sub keeper.

• Like 1

Ally Maxwell didn't win us the Scottish cup in fact he was at fault for 2 of Dundee Utd goals. Then he wanted a massive pay rise for the following season. I know Clark clobbered him in the final but did we not have a sub keeper.

You mean the 2 goals he let in because he had double vision, cracked ribs and a ruptured spleen?

I don't think he should have a testimonial, and I believe his save at the end of extra time was huge. Blaming him for 2 goals, however, is a little bizarre.

• Like 2

Have you listened to his interview from last week on the podcast?

You mean the 2 goals he let in because he had double vision, cracked ribs and a ruptured spleen?

I don't think he should have a testimonial, and I believe his save at the end of extra time was huge. Blaming him for 2 goals, however, is a little bizarre.

And we didn't have a sub keeper.

In fact, if Maxwell hadn't played on, Stevie Kirk would've gone in goals and history would be rewritten.