League Cup 2016/17

Dezz

The club have just tweeted that the draw for the first round of the reformatted League Cup will take place live on BT Sport Europe tomorrow night at 7:30pm.

I saw Alan Burrows also said on Twitter last night that the draw will be split into North/South regions so the travelling shouldn't be too bad.

Being slightly too young to properly remember when there were group stages in this competition before, I'm quite looking forward to this new format.

Groups will contain 5 teams I think so hopefully we can get Aidrie and maybe one or two others we haven't played for a while.

The second seeds we can get are Rangers, Morton, St Mirren, Qots.

Unseeded teams are Ayr, Livi, Stranraer, Airdrie, Albion Rovers, Stenny, Queens Park, Clyde, Annan, Berwick, East Stirling, Edinburgh.

Dumbarton got shafted by being put in the North group.

SOUTH
FIRST LEVEL SEEDS

(1 per group)

Motherwell

Partick Thistle

Hamilton Academical

Kilmarnock

SECOND LEVEL SEEDS

(1 per group)

Rangers

Morton

St Mirren

Queen of the South

UNSEEDED

(3 per group)

Ayr United

Livingston

Stranraer

Airdrieonians

Albion Rovers

Stenhousemuir

Queen’s Park

Clyde

Annan Athletic

Berwick Rangers

Edinburgh City

East Stirling

NORTH

FIRST LEVEL SEEDS

(1 per group)

St Johnstone

Ross County

Dundee

Inverness Caley

SECOND LEVEL SEEDS

(1 per group)

Dundee United

Raith Rovers

Falkirk

Dumbarton

UNSEEDED

(3 per group)

Dunfermline Athletic

Alloa Athletic

Peterhead

Brechin City

Cowdenbeath

East Fife

Forfar Athletic

Elgin City

Stirling Albion

Montrose

Arbroath

Cove Rangers

The club have just tweeted that the draw for the first round of the reformatted League Cup will take place live on BT Sport Europe tomorrow night at 7:30pm.

I saw Alan Burrows also said on Twitter last night that the draw will be split into North/South regions so the travelling shouldn't be too bad.

Being slightly too young to properly remember when there were group stages in this competition before, I'm quite looking forward to this new format.

Groups will contain 5 teams I think so hopefully we can get Aidrie and maybe one or two others we haven't played for a while.

There was always talk of meaningless games, but I liked the early season group format. It gave us genuine match practice early doors.

Just read a wee bit about the new format, hadn't realised they were introducing a bonus point in draws.

"The group stage uses the traditional three points for a win and one point for a draw model however, in another innovation, all drawn matches will go straight to a penalty shoot-out whereby the winner of the shoot-out will be awarded a bonus point, believed to be a first in world football."

Could make it quite interesting!

Not a fan.

The League Cup struggles to get attendances as it is so their solution is more games with less at stake. Just fucking stupid. Cup football should be knock out football.

I also assume that these matches won't be on the season ticket and therefore represent more expense for the fans. Cynical money grab rather than progressive reform?

• Like 1

Not a fan.

The League Cup struggles to get attendances as it is so their solution is more games with less at stake. Just fucking stupid. Cup football should be knock out football.

I also assume that these matches won't be on the season ticket and therefore represent more expense for the fans. Cynical money grab rather than progressive reform?

Don't go then. You can sit in the house and be dour there.

"all drawn matches will go straight to a penalty shoot-out whereby the winner of the shoot-out will be awarded a bonus point, believed to be a first in world football."

Lest hope its the last!

Presumably its to increase the entertainment value. It will only serve to lengthen games and encourage some teams to hold out for a draw rather than trying to win.

Don't go then. You can sit in the house and be dour there.

It's new it must be good.

No. It's plainly drawn out, expensive and shite.

Will also reduce the chance of bigger teams being eliminated in the early stages which is a big part of cup football. Annan beat Hamilton last season, do you think they would do it over 4 matches?

It's new it must be good.

No. It's plainly drawn out, expensive and shite.

Will also reduce the chance of bigger teams being eliminated in the early stages which is a big part of cup football. Annan beat Hamilton last season, do you think they would do it over 5 matches?

It's new it must be shite seems like you attitude.

Give it a try first no?

It's new it must be shite seems like you attitude.

Give it a try first no?

Cos its pretty obvious what's happened.

Lower league clubs take a guaranteed pay off in the form of group stages while big clubs more or less guarantee progression. It's a carve up, a sort of dishrag Champions League.

This has potential to make for an interesting fortnight in July. Although a lot depends on the luck of the draw. I'd much prefer away day to QoS and Ayr than Rangers and Airdrie.

Best thing about the revised format is the November final. All it's missing is a European place but that's never going to happen with the current coefficient.