League Cup 2016/17

Dezz

I'd have thought the fixture list should have been arranged in advance for all groups?

Team 1 v team 2 etc.

Could shuffle the order as team 1 v2 will be most attractive in most cases so that all those are spread across Tournament.

Yeah, that was my first thought too that there should have been a template for each group set up in advance so the fixtures were revealed as each side was drawn so even if you didn't exactly know whether your game be would a Friday/Saturday/Sunday you would know immediately from the draw from what weekend the tie was going to be played on.

The "we'll get back to you next week" and general vagueness of it all leaves it open to accusations of a carve up behind the scenes, particularly when the fixtures aren't home and away.

As top seeds for example it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect your potentially most difficult fixture, against the second seed to be at home, so if it turns out we're at Ibrox then I suspect there will be plenty cries of fix. If we aren't at home against Rangers then what is the benefit of being seeded first other to have your name drawn out before the others in the group?

As anyone who takes any notice of my opinions will know I'm very easily irritated as to what the Old Firm get away with in terms of buggering off for friendlies and having their post split games handpicked and every other fixture built around them it would almost immediately be a dent to the credibility of the revamped competition if some seeds found their pathway to progression smoothed whilst others didn't under the guise of "policing and security concerns and TV committments".

I watch with interest but no great faith.

• Like 1

What part of it is nonsense? if we finish second we may not qualify.

Absolutely. This is where the system falls down. Its not just down to points gained and goals scored/lost - its also down to the composition of the group. Some groups are easier and some harder. Its a bit fairer if the venues are neutral or ties are home and away - but they're not.

• Like 1

Like I said - a carve up.

The fact that the fixtures weren't decided before the draw like just about every other group draw tells you everything. Back to the dark, smokey room with the SPFL, sponsors and TV companies to decide who plays who where.

The competition has been taken and used to maximize income for clubs over sporting integrity.

Ross County, Kilmarnock, St. Mirren, Aberdeen and Hibs had all won it in the last ten years, there was no reason to change it, it was a good competition and probably provincial clubs best chance of winning a major trophy.

Few Rangers fans on facebook already talking about Karma for the playoffs, would be a great start to the season if we put them in their place.

Its only karma if they believe that their old club is dead and they are in a new existence...

noun
  1. (in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.

Like I said - a carve up.

The fact that the fixtures weren't decided before the draw like just about every other group draw tells you everything. Back to the dark, smokey room with the SPFL, sponsors and TV companies to decide who plays who where.

The competition has been taken and used to maximize income for clubs over sporting integrity.

Ross County, Kilmarnock, St. Mirren, Aberdeen and Hibs had all won it in the last ten years, there was no reason to change it, it was a good competition and probably provincial clubs best chance of winning a major trophy.

It's was a shite competition that meant nothing. Now it's a shite competition that is a bit different.

Are you just annoyed because this means more editing of your spreadsheets?

Didn't have the opportunity to watch the draw last night but I'm amazed that there was no pre-announced transparent schedule to the home/away split and order of fixtures.

Disappointing approach that will be open to conspiracy jibes.

As an aside, there is scope for upsets in the group stage as most teams will be treating this as pre-season games.

It's was a shite competition that meant nothing. Now it's a shite competition that is a bit different.

Are you just annoyed because this means more editing of your spreadsheets?

You think it was a shite competition because Motherwell got knocked out of it every year. Not a shite competition overall - do you honestly think it was a bad thing for Scottish football when Kilmarnock beat Celtic or St. Mirren won 3-2 v Hearts. Or Ross County beating Hibs in the last minute this year? Please spell out what you don't like about a straight knock out cup competition. What's so bad about the actual format?

Maybe you'll think differently when if go out the cup on goal difference because we didn't score enough goals against Annan.

I dont think its a shite comp because we get knocked out every year.

I never said the format was bad.....but I don't think there is anything wrong with changing it.

The league cup just never has done anything for me at all. It's the runt of the 3 comps we play in, has no euro spot.... I just don't care much for it. The new format gets me in interested in it so wee bit so it's all good.

The league cup just never has done anything for me at all. It's the runt of the 3 comps we play in, has no euro spot.... I just don't care much for it. The new format gets me in interested in it so wee bit so it's all good.

I'm the opposite. I've never had anything against the league cup but just think the organisation and format this year is shockingly poor.

The league cup has had many issues over the years. It used to be 2 leg ties at one stage, then they tried groups - which failed because the format meant there were far too many meaningless group games.

I always preferred the format of straight knockout, ties decided on the evening with extra time and pens, and final in December - but not averse to trying out a new approach. Not convinced this is the right one, though, as it seems to be a hand crafted effort to manipulate the competition for TV coverage and larger clubs. Maybe they can call it he Curated Cup.