League Cup 2016/17

Dezz

Malpas was a disaster all round, not just pre-season.

I had the radio on, think it was Saturday and Mapas was on. I couldn't believe some of the stuff coming out of his mouth. An absolute clown. Still amazes me that a player as genuinely great as Malpas can be that bad as a coach.

Where the hell did he get his ideas from because it sure as hell wasn't from his own playing career or Jim McLean.

Anyway I'm having one of those weeks. Probably get absolutely cunted off them on Saturday.

On the subject of Motherwell v Rangers. Our wonderful matchday poster artist is getting it tight on Twitter for plagiarism of another guys work (he’s not the only one, others are also being exposed in a campaign waged against Soccer Art Copy Cats). The illustration on the left was created in 2014. The one on the right was created for the first play-off match against Rangers. As they say, bang to rights Guv. Art imitating art.

14o84er.jpg

Probably one of my least favourite ones as well! Ah well - bad choice.

There was a Baraclough one based on the famous Obama poster. Inspiration/imitation/plagiarism......I dunno where the line is. Is it not a problem when the poster is really famous (like the Obama one)?

Where on Twitter?

I dont think its a famous poster, the Motherwell guy has obviously been short on time and just traced it for quickness. He maybe needs to be more careful in the future, or perhaps alter it a bit more.

That was a more general question I suppose rather than directed at yourself about this - when is something copying and when is it inspiration? I guess it comes down to credit of the original.

Probably one of my least favourite ones as well! Ah well - bad choice.

Really? Both the play-off ones were absolute belters. I don't really give a shit if they've taken inspiration from another club it was a topper.

I actually combined both of them into the one image and used it as my wallpaper on my laptop for a good couple of months after the play-off game. Brought a smile every time I turned on the laptop!

playoffposters.jpg

That was a more general question I suppose rather than directed at yourself about this - when is something copying and when is it inspiration? I guess it comes down to credit of the original.

I’m no copyright expert, however, I am sure a judge would come down in favour of the original artist. Particularly on the Paine Proffitt one. He could certainly sue the person who copied his original.

This is an excerpt from an online article on plagiarism/fan art. I suppose, theoretically Motherwell could be sued as they approved the original match poster. At the end of the day it’s better to create your own, wholly original work to avoid any potential legal problems.

The key point to remember is this: Fan fiction and fan art are, usually, an infringement of the right of the copyright holder to prepare and license derivative works based on the original. This is almost without exception.

However, many copyright holders, for good reasons, tolerate fan art and even encourage it, but this should not be taken as carte blanche to do what you want with the source material. There are many lines that a fan artist can cross and wind up in legal trouble.

Your best bet is to study the rules for your community and obey them closely. If you do that, you should be fine but always remember that your creations only exist through the good graces of the copyright holder and they can change their mind at any point.

If you’re not comfortable with that, then you’re better off creating your own, wholly original work. Not only do you not have the threat of being shut down hanging over you, but you also have the right to exploit the works however you see fit.