League Cup 2016/17

Dezz

At least we'll know where we stand straight away

Win against Rangers in 90 minutes or penalties and we can relax. Lose and we need to run the score against the unseeded teams.

That's a good theory if we were good enough to relax and win at the same time.

If we are taking this at all seriously part time teams pose even less of a threat in July than they did previously.

Stranraer is a tricky trip (and the areshole of Scotland) but we hold every advantage and losing isn't acceptable.

That's true, and I hope we do take it seriously. If we decide to mess around with u20s against the "weaker" teams, however, it might not be so straightforward.

Our early season form isn't always great, but I suppose that is true for most of our opposition too. It's not like Europe where some teams have half a season under their belts.

• Like 1

If we are taking this at all seriously part time teams pose even less of a threat in July than they did previously.

I don't know about that. Yes, of course, on paper we should win these games comfortably but early season these games can be tricky due to lack of match fitness and lower league teams having something to prove. I recall Terry Butcher vowing never to play pre season friendlies again against lower league teams after we were kicked off the park at Stranraer in a real battle.

Difficult to see how that could've worked out any better for us, tbh. Clearly our place as the establishment club has been confirmed.

Disagree.

The trickiest possible tie that we could have got outside Rangers was Stranraer away. And that's what we got. Meanwhile Rangers play Stranraer at Ibrox, a much easier tie for them.

Stranraer have been a decent outfit over the past couple of seasons and will be one of the favourites to go up to the Championship next season. The trip to Stairs Park is the one in the group were you'd think maybe the 'big' team could drop the points.

If we lose in the first match we are basically looking for a runners up spot for the rest of the group because it's extremely unlikely Rangers will drop any other points. Even if we beat Rangers we still have the most difficult remaining tie in the group and who knows the draw/penalty kicks scenario might come into play.

Jeezo, you'd think its was a champions league group with real Madrid, bayern Munich and PSG we are discussing. We should be worried about none of the teams in this group. The hardest opponents we face, we play at home, and a year ago we thrashed them 6-1 over 2 games.

I'll be very disappointed if we dont take maximum points from the group.

• Like 3

Jeezo, you'd think its was a champions league group domestic cup competition with real Madrid, bayern Munich and PSG Albion Rovers or Morton we are discussing. We should be worried about none of the teams in this group.

Fixed your post.

Jeezo, you'd think its was a champions league group with real Madrid, bayern Munich and PSG we are discussing. We should be worried about none of the teams in this group. The hardest opponents we face, we play at home, and a year ago we thrashed them 6-1 over 2 games.

I'll be very disappointed if we dont take maximum points from the group.

100% agree.

Ya Bezzer, not surprised you have picked something out as everything so far you have mentioned has been negative about this new format.

• Like 1

Decent set of fixtures

Would like to go to Annan and I suspect quite a few will

Glad to see we got a home game v Sevco. I hope we turn out in good numbers.

That should be a good game and 100 times better and more relevant than a pre-season friendly

Lets get behind the team from the get go.

Disagree.

The trickiest possible tie that we could have got outside Rangers was Stranraer away. And that's what we got. Meanwhile Rangers play Stranraer at Ibrox, a much easier tie for them.

Stranraer have been a decent outfit over the past couple of seasons and will be one of the favourites to go up to the Championship next season. The trip to Stairs Park is the one in the group were you'd think maybe the 'big' team could drop the points.

If we lose in the first match we are basically looking for a runners up spot for the rest of the group because it's extremely unlikely Rangers will drop any other points. Even if we beat Rangers we still have the most difficult remaining tie in the group and who knows the draw/penalty kicks scenario might come into play.

Stranraer away? Trickiest tie?

You're at it, here.

The trip to Stairs Park is the one in the group were you'd think maybe the 'big' team could drop the points.

Well there's one I disagree with. But it's not about what I disagree with. It's about you being negative.

You could for example have said it's positive we have home tie against Rangers...but you didn't and chose to say it's a negative Rangers have a home tie against Stranraer, and a negative we have an away tie against them.

Selective discussion points to suit your clear agenda with the format.

It's just ridiculous that some are trembling at the idea of Stranraer away

Were you at the Albion Rovers game?

While I think we have a great chance of getting through the initial group, I have been following this mob long enough to know there is know such thing as a banker cup game.

While I think we have a great chance of getting through the initial group, I have been following this mob long enough to know there is know such thing as a banker cup game.

I think you are right. But we are as likely to lose to Stranraer as we are to Annan or even East Stirlingshire. The fact is we should be beating League 1 and League 2 sides no bother. But we will see!

Were you at the playoff game? When we absolutely filleted the team that everyone's convinced we're finishing second to?