League Cup 2016/17

Dezz

Looking forward to this, as people have said hopefully we get good numbers for Sevco at home. Hoping for an intense atmosphere and a comfortable win. Delighted that the police/SFA haven't changed the kick off time, I thought with this being 3pm on a Saturday at Fir Park in July (in the fair) we would be subject to a change. I think this should add to the atmosphere which overall i think can be affected by the usual 12:30 kick offs. Annan should be a good away day too.

Aye, the ticket scramble chat was very much tongue in cheek.

I've never known of one involving Motherwell. Ibrox last year was the closest, but like you say, there were some still floating about on the day of the game.

It's just ridiculous that some are trembling at the idea of Stranraer away

I'm not trembling. Who said I was trembling? Stick to what I said. I said it was the toughest possible tie in the group outside the Rangers match. Stranraer away is a more difficult task than Stranraer at home.

Also tell me all about Stranraer? Stranraer went out the League Cup last season to a 2nd half OG away at Easter Road. A narrower defeat than Dundee Utd and Aberdeen took on the same ground in the same competition. They missed out promotion to the Championship narrowly two seasons in a row, they are closer in quality to Morton than they are Annan or East Stirling. It's not even close.

Should we beat them home or away - yes, but it's a game that has more potential for an upset because we are playing the next best team in the ground on their own patch.

The original reply was what was the best fixtures we could get, well all I'm saying is these weren't - Stranraer at home, Annan and East Stirling and then Rangers at home would have been better fixtures.

I'm not trembling. Who said I was trembling? Stick to what I said. I said it was the toughest possible tie in the group outside the Rangers match. Stranraer away is a more difficult task than Stranraer at home.

Also tell me all about Stranraer? Stranraer went out the League Cup last season to a 2nd half OG away at Easter Road. A narrower defeat than Dundee Utd and Aberdeen took on the same ground in the same competition. They missed out promotion to the Championship narrowly two seasons in a row, they are closer in quality to Morton than they are Annan or East Stirling. It's not even close.

Should we beat them home or away - yes, but it's a game that has more potential for an upset because we are playing the next best team in the ground on their own patch.

The original reply was what was the best fixtures we could get, well all I'm saying is these weren't - Stranraer at home, Annan and East Stirling and then Rangers at home would have been better fixtures.

But yet you pull out the negative than any positive you could pull out and discuss.

Selective discussion.

I've no idea how they do the fixtures?

But can't imagine giving the top side home ties against the 2nd and 3rd seeded team in the group is part of the criteria. It would be pretty heavily weighted in our favour in that case.

Incidentally, I'd presumed the delay in announcing the running order was to sort out the TVs games, but given they are showing 3/4 rangers games and 5 games over all, I'm not sure what the wait was for?

I've no idea how they do the fixtures?

But can't imagine giving the top side home ties against the 2nd and 3rd seeded team in the group is part of the criteria. It would be pretty heavily weighted in our favour in that case.

Incidentally, I'd presumed the delay in announcing the running order was to sort out the TVs games, but given they are showing 3/4 rangers games and 5 games over all, I'm not sure what the wait was for?

I'd imagine it would be to ask TV whether they'd prefer particular Rangers games at Ibrox or away. The Police also would have had a hand settling the dates and games.

Were you at the Albion Rovers game?

While I think we have a great chance of getting through the initial group, I have been following this mob long enough to know there is know such thing as a banker cup game.

I know you are very old and you can recount matches between Motherwell and Third Lanark, I can merely go back to 1975.

There's a delicious pain in being a Motherwell fan, I doubt many other clubs in Scottish football torture their fans more.

Added to that there's way too many Wearie Willies in our support. I watch some and get the impression that they are not happy until they are unhappy. They turn up with their faces tripping them, and if we can take a 7-0 defeat, they go home ecstatic. Bonered up on a sea of righteous indignation.

The way to annoy them is to have the team play a blinder and win. They'll still find fault - they'll still come on here twenty-five years later and moan about Ally Maxwell being culpable for a goal in a cup final that we won.

Now you've got me quaking at the prospect of facing Stranraer. I won't be able to sleep now, and to make it worse, the mighty East Stirling and Annan lying in wait too.

Fucks sake - it will be the doctors for me Monday. Prozac I'll be needing.

Thanks for that, Wee Yin -

• Like 5

"Fair" only if you completely ignore the part that reads "While I think we have a great chance of getting through the initial group"

Still that was in the 2nd sentence of a 2 sentence post, so I can appreciate why he might not have reached that part. Probably either exhausted from the effort of reading the first sentence, or had been overcome with blind internet outrage by that stage and missed it.

The original reply was what was the best fixtures we could get, well all I'm saying is these weren't - Stranraer at home, Annan and

Ya bezzer you do talk some pish!

Away to stranraer lol

"Fair" only if you completely ignore the part that reads "While I think we have a great chance of getting through the initial group"

Still that was in the 2nd sentence of a 2 sentence post, so I can appreciate why he might not have reached that part. Probably either exhausted from the effort of reading the first sentence, or had been overcome with blind internet outrage by that stage and missed it.

I tend not read past your first lines weeyin, as it's bad for my mental health.

Damned by faint praise -

"I think we are in with a chance of qualifying from a group including Anna, Stranraer, and East Stirlingshire."

Lets put it a different way - if McGhee can't get us out of the group, a stewards inquiry is in order.

The worst result I've seen in the recent past was the humiliating capitulation to Third division Rangers.

We better not capitulate against them in the first match of next season, not after that farcical and embarassing 7-0 doing we took from the worst Celtic team since Lou Macari's reign.

• Like 2

Lets put it a different way - if McGhee can't get us out of the group, a stewards inquiry is in order.

I wouldn't be so sure, as there are too many variables. Sevco were a better team last season than they were in the play offs, but then again so were we. A lot will depend on new signings made by both teams before the tie. In short its too early to tell.

• Like 1

The Rangers we face in the League Cup will not be the Rangers we played in the play-offs last year, or even the won that took to the field in the Scottish Cup. I would consider us very much underdogs in this game, despite being the "seeded" team.

Doesn't mean we can't win it comfortably though. They will be in more of a transitioning period than us and we will have had our pre-season under McGhee which should have us fit and sharp. Actually expect it to be a good game with the added bite from us keeping the orcs down in the play-off last year.

The rest of the games we should be winning comfortably, but doesn't always play out that way as the smaller teams raise their game for these matches. The fact its so early into the season and they are 3 part time times should help prevent any banana skins.

• Like 1

The Rangers we face in the League Cup will not be the Rangers we played in the play-offs last year, or even the won that took to the field in the Scottish Cup. I would consider us very much underdogs in this game, despite being the "seeded" team.

Doesn't mean we can't win it comfortably though. They will be in more of a transitioning period than us and we will have had our pre-season under McGhee which should have us fit and sharp. Actually expect it to be a good game with the added bite from us keeping the orcs down in the play-off last year.

The rest of the games we should be winning comfortably, but doesn't always play out that way as the smaller teams raise their game for these matches. The fact its so early into the season and they are 3 part time times should help prevent any banana skins.

Why would we be underdogs did you actually watch "The Rangers" as they are now known they are average at best with a shit defence. They won promotion to the premiership thats all the prize did not include a time machine to turn them back into a Rangers team from the 9 in a row years they are nothing special.

The game will be an all premiership affair no different to playing Partick or St Johnstone so nothing to fear.