Pre Season?

Kmcalpin

By all intents and purposes, Cowdenbeath had a number of guys too that were untried and they were testing out, however they managed to turn over the Premier league team that finished 5th in the country.

The only good thing about the last two games is it'll give McGhee an excuse to light a fire under a few behinds.

A late penalty prevented Cowdenbeath from beating Hearts at the weekend.

What the result does is really reinforce my point about when teams are not up to full fitness and playing every few days, when there are new players in the group and when there is no settled line up surprise results can happen.

Take that on board before we go into these League Cup matches would be my advice. But too many around here are happy to criticise other teams for arrogance and yet only too happy to indulge in the same when we play smaller teams.

Lets be honest about this even with all the new players settling in, young players getting a run out, lack of match fitness, or any other relevant excuse, we really should be beating the likes of Arbroath and Cowdenbeath it's not a very encouraging pre-season so far.

Lets be honest about this even with all the new players settling in, young players getting a run out, lack of match fitness, or any other relevant excuse, we really should be beating the likes of Arbroath and Cowdenbeath it's not a very encouraging pre-season so far.

I'm assuming this is your first pre-season, because 2 things these games are never about are results and tackling.

They exist only because it gets boring playing shirts v skins for a month and the most important aspects are that people get to run around for 90mins and nobody gets injured.

A typical pre season friendly against lower league opposition. One team, usually the bigger one, goes out to get match fitness the other, usually the smaller one, goes to win at all costs and prove a point and there you have it. Cowden with a few trialists were quicker, fitter and more determined outfit. The cynical last ditch tackle on Scott MacDonald typified that. Had that been a competitive game the defender would have received a straight red. The squad will have gained more match fitness without picking up injuries - job done.

The overall performance was poor though. I thought Tait had a reasonable game, but the two central defenders, especially Kennedy, had a poor night. The big Cowden striker bullied Kennedy all evening. I felt a bit sorry for Moult, Blyth and Skippy. They worked hard but received little decent service or support against a hard working defence. My one big concern was central midfield where we were as slow as ditchwater and lacked any creativity or energy. Our build up was painfully slow and was easily stifled by our opponents. The trialist had a reasonable first half but ran out of steam in the second. The game largely passed Keith Lasley by. A Pearo type player was badly missed. As it stands, I have grave concerns for the fast approaching League Cup if we go into it as we are (in central midfield). Irrespective of how good McHugh is, he'll take a good few weeks to get up to speed and we still lack a creative attacking player. Mark McGhee will have concerns too about his engine room and no doubt is already working on it. I was a bit disappointed by Dom Thomas as I thought it was his type of game but he failed to make any impression. Alan Campbell did little of note but in his defence was not on long enough.

Maybe too it was a timely reminder not to take the likes of Annan, Stranraer and East Stirling lightly. Like Cowdenbeath they will have a point to prove.

Tonight's game was a good workout.

Kennedy had a nightmare but his pass to Marv was superb.

Tait seemed decent

Blyth still seems easily knocked off the ball but won every header. Not enough players getting to the knockdowns

Trialist didn't do enough in my opinion

...2 things these games are never about results and tackling.

They exist only because it gets boring playing shirts v skins for a month and the most important aspects are that people get to run around for 90mins and nobody gets injured.

Spoken like a true manager. I christian you... Mark McGweeyin. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm assuming this is your first pre-season, because 2 things these games are never about are results and tackling.

If you play against Scottish lower league opposition thats exactly what they're about for opponents. Terry Butcher vowed never again to play against lower league sides after we suffered a pre season battering at Stranraer.

They're just bounce games, who cares about so-called results. Maybe the club should do itself a favour in future and play them as MFC Athletic or something, don't even put the club name to it.

The received wisdom on this board is that McGhee knows what he's doing during pre-season, that doesn't stop some idiots yapping like chihuahuas on heat about how "we should be winning these games." Really? we finished the match on Sunday with an under-19 team, including a 15 year old. That should tell you how seriously McGhee takes getting results in these matches. Even the fact that he played a trialist last night should have been a big clue.

Sunday v Hibs is the closest we'll get to a genuine first team pre-season match, and I'm not bothered about that result either. Monday morning will see the team focused on Rangers and Rangers alone, and if McGhee starts talking about how we won't be ready for that game next week, he's pulling chains.

The season starts on 16 July, Motherwell V Rangers - bring it on.

• Like 2

They're just bounce games, who cares about so-called results. Maybe the club should do itself a favour in future and play them as MFC Athletic or something, don't even put the club name to it.

Yes, for us they're just bounce games and the results are unimportant. However, we should be looking for decent performances and to assess weaknesses in the team. Players will be ring rusty but on the other hand they should be looking to impress Mark McGhee. He'll have a rough idea of his guaranteed starters but probably won't know his preferred starting line up until late September. Right now I'd say central midfield is up for grabs as is a central defensive spot.

• Like 1

90% sure he vowed never to play lower league again because Clarkson got a straight red (for nothing) and because it was in Scotland he was suspended for league games!

Yes, that was part of it but we were kicked off the pitch in a real battle.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/07/07/ten-miles-of-team-building/

Another wee video up covering a recovery day during pre season. I like these insights into the club.

Seeing the manager wave across the canal on his bike was a personal highlight. Haha.

Colin O'Neill would have done a wheelie into the canal.

• Like 1

Saturdays game against Dumbarton will be the U20s and Sunday will be the "first team" - so whatever team McGhee sets out that day, will give us an indication of how we are likely to line up the following week

was the trialist the other night not McHugh? just not registered in time to play?

I'm not overly fussed about results, players need game time - come the end of the league cup games, if we look rotten and unfit, then I will start to worry

Saturdays game against Dumbarton will be the U20s and Sunday will be the "first team" - so whatever team McGhee sets out that day, will give us an indication of how we are likely to line up the following week

was the trialist the other night not McHugh? just not registered in time to play?

I'm not overly fussed about results, players need game time - come the end of the league cup games, if we look rotten and unfit, then I will start to worry

No, it was Lee Lucas.

Edit: Pretty much a second string except Moult and McHugh starting.

Thought I read it was Lee Lucas? from Swansea

Trialist on the bench is Lucas, by the way

Had a few decent chances. So have Dumbarton.

McHugh has looked good. Assured and strong on the ball and decent passing. Thomas and Ainsworth have had a lot of ball but can't quite get the final ball. Thomas missed a sitter. Moult has been trying hard but not really at the races - should really have stuck two away.

Decent run out against a solid enough Dumbarton team.

Apart from what I said earlier...

Heneghan looks good in the air and fairly strong. Very comfortable

Chalmers looks fitter but still not good enough for the top level.

Lucas has a great range of passing on him. Be good to see him against a better quality of opposition.

Moore did himself no harm today. Strong running and got to quite few in the air too to flick on

Decent run out against a solid enough Dumbarton team.

Apart from what I said earlier...

Heneghan looks good in the air and fairly strong. Very comfortable

Chalmers looks fitter but still not good enough for the top level.

Lucas has a great range of passing on him. Be good to see him against a better quality of opposition.

Moore did himself no harm today. Strong running and got to quite few in the air too to flick on

Interesting, thanks.