Pre Season?

Kmcalpin

McHugh got 45 today, as did Lucas.

Wouldn't be surprised to see one of them get time tomorrow.

McGhee in his post match said there would be a crossover in players to the Hibs game. Sounds like at least McHugh, Moult and Ainsworth will get more time.

Given that it was mostly u20's reasonably happy what we saw today. Team looked better as a unit in the secondhalf.Mcmillan and McLean worked well together in the first with McLean moving inside in the second half. Ferguson looked comfortable on the floor but he and Kennedy were I thought poor in the air. Heneghan is a powerful cb and him and Ferguson a much better pairing. McHugh didnt waste many balls and never ventured forward much, Trialist (13) was a busy player with good passing and I thought his performance just shaded McHughbut that could be because he played a bit further forword with Campbell dropping back. Big disappoints for me was Thomas although mid just behind the striker is not his natural position and Ainsworth who wasted most opportunities that came his way. Finally Moult is not a lone striker,

How was central midfield today? Is McHugh an out and out defensive player who can tackle or is he more cultured? We simply don't seem to have the players to play with a lone striker - a strong running central midfielder is a necessity in such a set up.

How was central midfield today? Is McHugh an out and out defensive player who can tackle or is he more cultured? We simply don't seem to have the players to play with a lone striker - a strong running central midfielder is a necessity in such a set up.

Difficult to read much into in all honesty.

We set up initially with Campbell and McHugh slightly deeper with Thomas given licence to roam and support Moult. Lionel was wide on the left, and Ross MacLean right.

McHugh was the more creative of the two and against Dumbarton at least looked perfectly capable spraying the ball about to either wing. He was tidy and efficient with his distribution. Both central midfielders were certainly mobile and if possession was lost both attempted to regain the ball quickly and re-distribute the ball.

Second half the trialist (Lee - presumably Lucas) continued in much the same vein.

Difficult to read much into in all honesty.

We set up initially with Campbell and McHugh slightly deeper with Thomas given licence to roam and support Moult. Lionel was wide on the left, and Ross MacLean right.

McHugh was the more creative of the two and against Dumbarton at least looked perfectly capable spraying the ball about to either wing. He was tidy and efficient with his distribution. Both central midfielders were certainly mobile and if possession was lost both attempted to regain the ball quickly and re-distribute the ball.

Second half the trialist (Lee - presumably Lucas) continued in much the same vein.

Thanks for that Andy. I know its difficult at this early stage, but I'm just trying to get on a handle on whether we're looking as though we're tightening up defensively in central midfield and whether we have any creativity there. At Cowdenbeath we seemed to have neither - I know the personnel were different. Maybe tomorrow's game will provide an indication of how central midfield is shaping up.

Another decent workout.

Negatives:

Kennedy was poor, their big number 10 beat him to everything

Ainsworth was poor again, at times I forgot he was on the pitch

Positives:

Ben Heneghan came on and took control of the big number 10. He continues to impress.

Carl McHugh looked good. Composed on the ball, didn't miss many passes, good timing in tackles.

Lee Lucas took over for Carl and looked decent too (only a positive if we sign him).

Ross McLean had a good game, good movement and great awareness.

Craig Moore put in a good shift and deserved the goal.

The two boys Crags was having a look at seemed decent in the time they were on the park

Kennedy was poor, their big number 10 beat him to everything

Its a real shame that Louis Laing is injured but I'm beginning to have concerns about Kennedy in central defence. Maybe he's just a slow starter? Perhaps Heneghan will challenge for a starting slot.

Its a real shame that Louis Laing is injured but I'm beginning to have concerns about Kennedy in central defence. Maybe he's just a slow starter? Perhaps Heneghan will challenge for a starting slot.

From what i've seen I would start Heneghan with McManus. I wouldn't let Kennedy back near the team until he improves.

From just watching the highlights there looked to be a few positives to pick up from yesterday.

First and foremost, the lineup underlined that we have great depth in our attacking options. It's good to see that Moore appears to be regaining his sharpness again. And he may get a chance in the league cup games as it sounds like Louis Moult hasn't trained as much as the rest.

It's also good to see Ross McLean heavily involved. Fingers crossed he can steer clear of injury and maybe get a run of 10/15 games under his belt at a lower level.

Another observation is in the lineups. It will become clearer in the weeks to come but is Jack McMillian moving ahead of Luke Watt in the pecking order?

Moore looks like a different player. Delighted he scored today, he was different class and won everything in the air!

Sign Lee Lucas now please, looks like a great player. Also McHugh and Campbell in the middle were looking quite assured too! I'm positive for the season.

I'd say your spot on, boy lee Lucas looks a good player and something that we've been needing, Moore looks to have come on a lot, hopefully he carries it on for the season and see how he does

From just watching the highlights there looked to be a few positives to pick up from yesterday.

First and foremost, the lineup underlined that we have great depth in our attacking options. It's good to see that Moore appears to be regaining his sharpness again. And he may get a chance in the league cup games as it sounds like Louis Moult hasn't trained as much as the rest.

It's also good to see Ross McLean heavily involved. Fingers crossed he can steer clear of injury and maybe get a run of 10/15 games under his belt at a lower level.

Another observation is in the lineups. It will become clearer in the weeks to come but is Jack McMillian moving ahead of Luke Watt in the pecking order?

As far as right back goes most definitely. He played there all last season while Watt played centre back.